Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mid-Week Mind Dump

Thank you all so much for the great make ahead recipes.  I am FAR from being organized but I am getting there.  My ultimate goal is to have a detailed menu with an equally detailed grocery list ready to go by Sunday.  Just knowing what to make for dinner and having the stuff to make it will significantly reduce the evening stress in our house.

Last night, I was fiddle farting around the house when I got home from work.  I ate scarfed my dinner down, lectured the boys why it is not OK to talk during quiet time at school (they got my gift of gab), played on Facebook for a few minutes....basically did everything to put off going for my run.  I was tired and it was already 7PM and I really considered bailing.  I went, but only because I bribed myself with wine.  Wine provides really good motivation. 

So I did it, 1.5 miles. That was enough in my mind to deserve wine.  It was not a long run but it was longer than I went the day before.  I am doing my own version of the Couch to 5K (er...marathon).  My method is where I run until I can't run anymore and then the next time I lace up the shoes, I run farther than I did before.  I know it a kind of backwards and but it works for me.  I can usually work up to the 3 mile mark pretty quickly.

I received a response from Garmin and I am blown away by their customer service.  My expectation was just an email response stating they appreciated my feedback and perhaps an offer to repair my current device.  They went above and beyond that.  They have offered to replace my 2 year old Forerunner 50 with the newer FR60 model.  It is the same type of set up with the foot pod, HRM, and watch device that all sync with a wireless connection.  I am going to take the opportunity to make the exchange and hope that the new model keeps its promises.  Even though I have had a couple of dud items, Garmin really stands by their product and does a great job of keep their customers happy. 

I am anxious to get home today to go for a little run (maybe 1.75 miles today, ha!).  The weather is beautiful and PERFECT running weather. 

13 comments:

Delane said...

After the C25K that is how I got up to an hour of running. I went for 37 mins to 60 in a few weeks (this was before the PF though).


I love garmin too. I've had good luck with them when I can't get my stuff to work.

http://euphoricagony.blogspot.com

Jess said...

Well, depending on the kind of wine and the size of a "glass," 1.5 miles probably was enough to deserve that treat!

I've never had to deal with Garmin's CS, but I have heard good things about it. Glad your experience was so positive!

runningmom77 said...

Hmm, I've never thought of bribing myself with wine. I'll have to try that one!

Glad that Garmin took care of you!! It's so seldom a company actually cares anymore, it's nice to know they still exist!

Heather said...

Wow, that's a great response from garmin. Enjoy the nice weather tonight! Oh, and I go to kettlebells class in North Branch. :)

Al's CL Reviews said...

Loving Garmin more and more!

Good job on the run!

hmm114 said...

I did the C25K plan last year and LOVED it! ...then I stopped running and now I'm starting all over. :(
I think I need to start bribing myself too...and wine or beer might just do the trick! ;) Thanks for the idea!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

My experience with Garmin has been amazing too, glad you're getting something new, and hope it works better!

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
Wow, they offered to replace your Garmin!?! That is so wonderful:) I hope your run went well tonight, it sure was beautiful:)

Megsie said...

I love it (couch to er... marathon). You crack me up!

Staci Dombroski said...

Wine is a motivator for me too :)

Lisa said...

best wishes with the new device

teacherwoman said...

Couch to 5k (er marathon)? Love it. :)

April said...

Ha! I think you def deserved the wine!
Wow! Garmin really put out! Good for you!