Sunday, March 7, 2010

Persistent or Insane?

We all know the saying by Thomas H. Palmer:( I love Google!):

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again..."


We all also have heard the saying,

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" (thank you Einstein!)

I have decided to throw my name into the Twin Cities Marathon on October 3rd, 2010.  Again.  When I didn't get chosen for the lottery for the half marathon I wanted to run, I needed a plan B.  I called Chubby Hubby into the room and we had the following conversation:

Me:  What would you say if....
CH:  (cutting me off) Hmmmm lemme guess, you are going to sign up for the full.
Me:  No, not exactly.  Not Grandma's Full, Twin Cities
CH:  (eye roll)
Me:  Bad idea?
CH:  Will it involve me running?
Me:  No.
CH:  Great.  Go for it!  (another eye roll and a sarcastic laugh)

So, I am gonna go for it.  I know those of you who have been following this blog for a bit are probably rolling your eyes right along with Chubby Hubby because you have read about my grand plans only to have me cope out.  Last year, in the EXACT same circumstances, I signed up for this same race only to drop out of training,ditching the race, and losing the expensive race fee.  This year is different! (stop it, I can hear the groans)

Why?
I don't need to justify anything but I am going to do it because I WANT to do it.  I didn't make this decision lightly.  I actually wrote out a pro / con list and took the time to ponder each thing I scribbled down.  The "pros" won and I made my decision.  Last year I dropped out of the race because I had too many things going on in my life.  Since then, I have pulled out of a lot unimportant activities that were sucking the life out of me. Now I am finding that I need to add something back in for me to do.  The key word is "ME".  I need an activity that doesn't involve my paycheck or shuffling kids to activities   Selfish.  I know (and I am totally OK with it).

I am making my grand statement now because as of tomorrow, I have 30 weeks until the race.  Funny, I also found a 30 week training program that fits nicely with my current crazy schedule.    Let the training begin!

 I seem to sign up for this race every year and something always happens where I can't run it.  I keep coming back for me.  I am due to run this race or I am just a glutton for punishment.  I have 2 fails (2006 and 2009) under my belt and I need to redeem myself.    Both times I have run a "Grandmas" race prior to this race.  Taking that element out of the equations should mean I am going finally get to the finish line this time.  Third time is a charm, right? 

Am I persistent or just plain old crazy?  Either way....October 3rd, HERE I COME!

27 comments:

Monica said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!

Would you like a cheerleader from Texas??

Go Carly Go!

C.E.E. said...

persistent..crazy..what's the difference? Good for you girl!

Aka Alice said...

Awesome Carly... Putting you into the equation is not ever selfish, just sane.

MCM Mama said...

You're a crazy girl, but that's what makes you fun! Good luck getting to the start line!!!

Lisa said...

Best wishes. Third time's a charm, indeed!

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
Oh, I am so excited for you!!! I will come and cheer you on:) Seriously, last year I couldn't make it to watch the runners coming in...this year for sure! I will even make a sign for you:) I hope that you have a fantastic week!

WannabeRunner said...

No eye rolling here!! That's awesome - can't wait to hear about your journey!

Heather said...

I'm gonna go with persistent!

I would really like to run Twin Cities, but I don't think my marriage can survive me training for two marathon seasons in the same year. :) I think I might try for the lottery for the 10 miler, because I'm so lucky with lotteries.

Carolina John said...

persistent. it will pay off. Oct 3!! go for it girl.

Chris and Amy said...

Go for it! It's good that you realized you need me time.

For training, I felt by far my best during and after the marathon when I ran 3 days a week and cross trained 3 more days. I was so much stronger. Good luck!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

3rd time will be a charm!!! Awesome Carly!

Jamoosh said...

Watch out Twin Cities!

katiempls said...

wahoo!! definitely jealous--Good luck!

Megsie said...

You know that you are just plain ol' crazy! But Wooo Hooo! Good luck!

Megan said...

I think its a fabulous idea. Kinda sounds like something I would do.

Ann said...

Persistent! Let the training begin!!

Jess said...

Will you be getting pregantn again right after?

Wasn't that some kind of pattern before?

X-Country2 said...

Aren't we all equal parts persistant and crazy. I think so. :o)

Staci Dombroski said...

Way to go girl!!! You can do it :-) I hope you are having a great week!

hmm114 said...

Definetly persistent...but I hope a little crazy too ! I mean you have to be crazy to want to run any marathon in the first place, right? Luckily~ most of your blog followers are crazy...I meant ..persistent too. ;)

lindsay said...

i never thought about putting those two quotes together... lol right now i'm leaning towards copping out with the 2nd! :)

bring it on TC! you better take that city by storm this fall ;)

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

Persistent, There is something in ya that won't let it die, so go for it!! Looking forward to hearing the progress!!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Wasn't Einstein really smart????? Ha, good luck!

Stephanie said...

You know, you've got quite a while before the event to get used to the idea. Go for it!
9 weight loss

Excellent Marathon Adventure said...

Good luck - - We're in similar boats. I'm training for Chicago (10/10) again. Again. Again.
Jenn

Sarah said...

Good for you! You will rock it!

Nile said...

Well, I hope you make it this year. I have been more of a walker than a runner, so I have to say it is admirable to even go through the training.

I do not think it is insane. It seems you are really wanting to do this.

By the way, I work as a virtual assistant of The Healthy Moms ( http://www.thehealthymoms.net ), the site is fairly new and I thought I would drop by some mom and health related sites to spread the word.