Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Week in Review

This past week is one that I would like to lay to rest.  It was not a good week here at the Casa de Chubby.  There wasn't anything extremely earth shattering but it was enough to throw the whole family off their game.
  • My middle son got a horrible double ear infection that had him screaming in pain.
  • The ENTIRE family got the stomach flu that spanned the entire week.
  • I have headache that I can get rid of and it is going on 4 days (sinus crap, I think).
  • Chubby Hubby stepped on a metal object Friday night and it punctured his foot.  He is OK, but in a lot of pain and can barely walk.
  • My van decided to be quirky and the check engine light came on.  It decided it was time for a $600 visit to the shop. 
  • The time change has thrown my sleep pattern off and I am exhausted!
  • Because of the list above, there were NO workouts (Although, I did take Diva on a 3 mile walk yesterday).
I guess when it rains it pours.  With the week that I had, I began to wonder if training for a marathon would be a sound decision.  After all, I would be planning my schedule around 4 other people.  Then I went back and re-read my last post and all of the great comments.  It was enough to pull me out of my gutter and got me excited to face this challenge. Thanks!

Another pick me up and source of inspiration came in the form of a book:
This newly released book was written by Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea.  I loved this book on so many levels.  First, whether you are a brand new runner or a seasoned marathoner, you will benefit and enjoy this book.  I really liked how candid they were with their stories and felt I could relate to a lot of their experiences (except for running a sub 4 hour marathon).  My favorite thing they illustrate is that just because you have the job title "Mom" doesn't mean you have to stop doing what you love.  If you would like to read more and find out more about the book, their blog can be found here

Speaking of blogs.....man do I have a lot of catching up to do!

20 comments:

Staci Dombroski said...

Sorry to hear about everything going on!! I hate when the kids are sick. My son is at home with the husband right now with a stomach thing :( Glad to hear that you are going to continue on the marathon journey :-) You will do awesome!!

Erica said...

ohhhh poop I hate weeks like that! I hope everyone feels better, and I am glad you found your drive to train for a marathon, you will totally rock!! and when your done you can look back and say even when I had weeks like this, I made it through to run a marathon!!

His Love Extended--Julie Gorman said...

Very cute. Great post. Would love for you to join in and follow mine too so we can stay in better contact. Visit...
http://hisloveextendedministries.com

:)
Julie Gorman

Delane said...

sorry for the craptastic week.

I don't have kids so I can't relate, but 2 years ago when we adopted my dog, life as I knew it for several months changed. My half training got botched ...I simply did the best I could to get though it.

congrats to stick with your plans.

http://euphoricagony.blogspot.com/

teacherwoman said...

Wow! Sounds like you've had one helluva a week! Yuck. Hope this week is better.

D10 said...

Geesh you guys got hit hard this week. Hope everyone is getting back to feeling better. Hang in there.

Heather said...

Sounds like a rough week - hope things improve soon!

I really want to read that book!

Teamarcia said...

Sorry about the week from hell. If nothing else, hopefully you all got it out of the way at once and can move on to bigger and better.
Loved that book!

Dimity and Sarah said...

Sorry everything hit the fan this week! You are certainly guaranteed it's all up from here. Thanks so much for the book praise. I hope you found our fan page on Facebook, too: Run Like a Mother: The Book.

Thanks again, and feel better!!

Jess said...

Sorry to hear that the week sucked. But, thanks for the book suggestion! That looks like one I'd like to pick up for sure!

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
Oh man, it sounds like you have had a crappy week for the books:( I am sorry about everyone being sick. I hope everyone gets better soon! There is so much stuff going around...I had a hell of a headache when I left work today too! Take care!

Megsie said...

Oh, my gosh! That totally sucks! I will toast to you for deciding to carry on, and here's to a brand new (hopefully easier) week!

Carolina John said...

i love the run like a mother book. sorry to hear about all of the ickness going around the household. that stuff's not fun to deal with.

Tamzin said...

YIKES! well... better to get it all out of the way in one fell swoop!

:)


Next week... back to your regular settings!

Jamoosh said...

Holy smokes - I am surprised the CDC didn't swoop in and quarantine your home!

lindsay said...

sheesh! glad everyone is doing better and hope you all continue to heal and stay better!

don't you even THINK about backing out. ;)

Missy said...

OK, your week totally sucked ass. I'm so sorry. I've heard the funk is rolling back around again. Boooo!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Yikes, sorry to hear about everyone being sick! Hope you're all back to 100% soon!

X-Country2 said...

Great book rec. I'll have to add that to my list. GOod luck next week!

hmm114 said...

I feel your pain ! This week has been hellish here too. My love got Appendicitis and needed emergency surgery and has been in the hospital all week. Thank goodness she is alright...but of course the weather this week has been absolutely PERFECT. Perfect for being out in the fresh air and getting in some running. Haven't been able to enjoy it at all, and on top of that I've been eating like tomorrow was the end of the world. Ughhh! = not good!