Sunday, March 21, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up--Grrrrr to Garmin

After yesterday's excitement on finding my long lost Garmin, I was anxious to fire it up and go for a run. I  really like the idea of having data to track my progress.  The device was still ticking and looked ready to go; that was until I tried to sync the foot pod.  Nothing.  Then I changed the batteries.   Nothing.  Then I remembered why I didn't use this thing.  It is a piece of shit.

I must be in a foul mood, because I just sent Garmin an email stating how disappointed and frustrated I am with my Garmin Forerunner 50.  This little device never worked properly.  I have been on the phone with technical support several times, read my manual cover to cover, and even searched online for more trouble shooting options.  Upon recommendation of the technical support, my device was replaced.  Even after getting a new one, it didn't work as package indicated.  The foot pod and heart rate monitor would rarely sync up to the device without fiddling with it and the automatic wireless upload NEVER worked.  On the occasion that the foot pod would pick up, it would drop off half way through my workout and mess up the data.  At this point I have an expensive stop watch.  I am sure the customer service representative will read my email, roll their eyes, and send a canned response.  I am not expecting any resolution to my problem but I feel better for venting.

Even if the problems are "operator error" the technical people I spoke to insisted that there are no tricks and this device is "idiot proof".  Hmmm....maybe I am just that one person has problems.   Or am I?  Anyone else have similar issues? I shouldn't be so hard on Garmin, their customer service is beyond amazing and from what others say they have an exceptional product.  I am clearly in the minority with the problems I am having.

Nevertheless, I took my over-priced stopwatch on a little run today.  I stress LITTLE run (1.5 miles).  I haven't done much of anything for well over a week and I am a little weak in my shoes.  Oh well, by the end of the week I am hoping to be caught up and back to following my training program. 

Now I am in the midst of meal planning for the week (another fun task).  I have come to terms that I need to pretty much have a list of our meals for the week by Sunday evening and have the ingedients ready to go by the time I leave the house in the morning.  Too many times, I have come home from work too frazzled and tired to think "what should I make for dinner".  I need a well thought out plan, with little prep time and that is today's project.  I have a crock pot that I love, but I am looking for more ideas of make ahead easy, healthy, family friendly meals.  Anyone care to share an idea or two?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  It is another cool day here but I am enjoying the Spring sunshine!

17 comments:

C.E.E. said...

I make and freeze giant bags of chicken chili, spag. sauce, beef stew...whatever. Then I undo the bag of frozen mess...stuff it in the crockpot in the morning..turn it on low and it's done when I get home. That way I don't have to dink around with stuff the night before.

Otherwise..I make whatever I'm going to make..the night before...cover it with foil...write the instructions on the foil...and have my boys follow that when they get home.

If I didn't do these things....we would eat frozen pizza and cold ceral every work night.

Good job on getting out and running...in spite of stupid gadgets!

teacherwoman said...

Sorry to hear the frustration with Garmin. How annoying.

I too like to plan my meals on Sunday, as best I can, and it's usually just for me! I can't imagine prepping dinner for a family!

Have a great week!

Al's CL Reviews said...

I plan for the week and D cooks. If you don't mind premade mashed potatoes, Pork chops with Country Gravy is pretty easy.

Tamzin said...

Just got in from teh grocery store and are all unpacked. We've taken to writing out our week menu on the fridge calendar and shopping to match it.

Makes life SO MUCH easier! And healthier.

Got my three standard breakfasts, and lunchs ready to go as well.

Feeling good. ...Garmin... W.O.M. Waste of money. I've never talked to anyone that has had them do all that they are supposed to. GPS and time - yes... heartrate...no. A good vent a la letter-email is always goid though. :)

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
Bummer about the Garmin! I am so impressed that you do meal planning for the entire week! You are so organized! I never know what I am going to make until I get home:) It was a gorgeous day today with plenty of sunshine:) I still need to get out on a run!! I hope that you have an awesome week Carly!

Heather said...

Glad you still got out for a run, even with the technical difficulties! It was great running weather this weekend.

Staci Dombroski said...

That sucks about the Garmin!!! Great job on the run though :) Have a great week!

Lisa said...

We do just that...plan the meals for the weekend on sunday. shop for that. I post the menu on the fridge. And it takes the stress away!

Monica said...

My Garmin did the same thing...I think I have the same one as you. It sucks to spend so much $$$ on something that craps out to quick!

lifestudent said...

I have a good crockpot buffalo chicken sandwich recipe. Its not healthy by any means, but its good ;) I make a bit batch of it and we it it for a few days. yum!

Delane said...

I have the fancy dancy garmin and can't work it 1/2 the time.

I do the same thing Mondays (Meatloaf) and Tuesdays (Tacos)Wednesday (Stirfry)Thursday (Pasta or grilled meat and veggies) I make chili on the weekends for lunches and take leftovers..they are easy 20 min meals to make and makes shopping pretty much the same each week to. I do different takes on these meals.

runningmom77 said...

I try to plan my meals out ahead of time too, and it works during the week, but then dh comes home for the weekend and wants something else and I end up running back to the store! Not sure how that keeps happening! I'm finding lately I need to plan my breakfast before I go to bed too, otherwise I just won't eat it!

I love my Garmin 405 (got a killer deal on it, otherwise I probably wouldn't have spent that much), and while I can't figure out how to work some of the features, the main ones that I like to use have never given me trouble. I love knowing how far I've gone!

Aka Alice said...

I WISH I were organized enough to do meals for the week on Sunday...instead I just muddle through the week and fret when i can't figure out what to cook...or I make a complete mess in trying to make pizza dough from scratch instead of buying the pre-made kind from the store (which I'd have to plan ahead to have)...ah well...and sigh.

Bummer about the Garmin. I think they'll do right by you though it is annoying to have to deal with it.

Megsie said...

Well, that sucks that your Garmin do-dad doesn't work. But, at least you ran anyway. Yay! As for meals, I suck at meal planning. I tend to make what I "feel" like, or more accurately, wait until 5:00 and then panic about what to make for dinner.

RockStarTri said...

When technology works, it is amazing. When it doesn't, it is evil (at best).

Megan said...

More than likely you'll get a favorable response from Garmin.One of my friends contacts customer service for all kinds of products. She gets coupons or replacements often.

I usually make a huge pot of something on Sunday. We eat it as leftovers a few dys and I freeze some. Red beans is a popular crock pot dish here in NOLA.

X-Country2 said...

I menu plan on Sunday before I go to the grocery store for the week. I'd be lost without it.