Saturday, April 24, 2010

Get in Gear 5K Race Report

The Stats:

overall place: 1108 out of 1772
division place: 235 out of 410
gender place: 635 out of 1157
time: 35:54
pace: 11:34
gun time : 37:56

The Story:
We had beautiful weather all week long.  I mean it was perfect running weather.  I kept my eye on the forecast all week and it looked like we were supposed to get some rain for today's race.  What they didn't predict was a torrential downpour.  The rain was coming down in buckets!  It was a great big soaking rain and there were even a few flashes of lighting and rumbles of thunder.  Thankfully the lighting stopped and being a group of tough broads (minus one that was a no show), we didn't let a little rain hold us back.  

My goal for this race was to complete it between 30-35 minutes.  I didn't know how I would do considering I was down for the count this week with some sort of TB like cough.  

I felt pretty good up until mile marker #1 where I had a really bad calf cramp.  Earlier this week at Pilates I did a move wrong and my calf seized up into a crazy knot.  It came as no surprise that it flared up during the race.  I stopped to stretch and started running about 2 minutes later.  At mile marker #2 and at about 2.5 miles, I stopped and took another quick walk break just to catch my breath....the coughing came back.  When I started running again, I could see the finish did what I could to make it to the finish line.  I know I was making the ugly finish line face as I was trying my hardest to keep my legs moving.

I finished.  I was over my goal by 54 seconds.  It was not horrible, but nevertheless I was still slightly disappointed with my time.  The great thing is that this s a baseline race.  I have never ran a chipped 5K before and I have never kept track.  Woo Hoo, a fresh Start!  The crew all finished within minutes of each other except for Leah who may have to start with the Kenyans next year. Ha!

After the race, we headed back to my place for brunch and mimosas.  It was a perfect way to end the morning.  After everyone left, I slipped into a 3 hour coma.  I was TIRED.  I don't think I was this tired after my full marathon....I have a LONG road ahead of me.

 Before the race when we were dry

After in our water logged glory

Final Thoughts:
 I am so excited because all of us that ran today had completed a major goal.  This race meant different things to all of us.  For some of the crew, this was their first 5K ever.  For others, it was a fun activity to support their new change in lifestyle (3 of these women have dropped some serious lbs!), For me it was a great way to celebrate my return to running.  It was a lot of fun and I have a feeling we will all be doing this again.
 
Although I was a bit disappointed in my time, my friend called and gave me a reality check.  She saw my updated post on Facebook that I completed a 5K and she said "A couple of weeks ago you told me the longest distance you ran was about 1.5 miles." (Completely true)  She then went on to say "That is a pretty fast couch to 5K transition."  Ahhhh....perspective.  I did really well considering I have only been back to running a couple of weeks.

23 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
Oh, I was so not looking forward to running in that flipping rain!! I was really hoping that I would see you today! Maybe there will be another un in the future:) Good job on your 5K Carly!! I love running with people that I know...it looks like you had a fun group:) I love the pictures! I have one from after the race and I look terrible:( I love chip timed races it keeps things fair!!

Megsie said...

Way to go Carly! Yippee!

Simply Life said...

wow! nice work! so impressive!

RockStarTri said...

I hate racing in the rain. Even though you missed your time goal, it is still a good job (not not horrible) with all the stuff you had to work through.

xm41907 said...

Congrats on the 5K. I had the same feeling about a month ago when I had my first return to running 5K. Injuries suck and returning from one can seem like you're going nowhere, but you'll get there.

Lisa said...

Great job getting out there and running! Very cool that you had such a big group with everyone accomplishing something meaningful. Fun times!

Diana said...

Yay for running in the rain! I had to do the same this weekend! Kind of like it!
Congrats on your 5K, now on to the next!

Heather said...

Congrats on the 5k - I love your friend's perspective! You really have come far in just a couple of weeks. Keep up the good work - October is coming. :)

Kristin said...

Thanks for sucking me into running this with you!! I really had a great time, and feel so proud that I finished, and in less time than I was expecting!! Yesterday was an awesome day, even with the rain!

MCM Mama said...

Good job on the race! It may not have been as fast as you wanted, but you've been coming back strong. Just think, you'll be able to CRUSH that number before long. Sounds like a lovely time with your friends, despite the rain.

Judy said...

I just recently found your blog but want to congratulate you on getting back out there again. When we take a break it's hard to get back to our previous levels without getting impatient. But being successful means that you keep trying. And if I got brunch and mimosas after a 5k I think I'd do one every weekend. Sounds great!

Monica said...

Great job Carly! I'm sure the pouring rain didn't help with timing either. You're running about the same speed of me. We could be good running partners. :)

teacherwoman said...

Definitely a great way to celebrate your return to running! And in a downpour as well?! LOVE IT! Nice job, Carly!

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

You did amazing! That time is awesome especially considering your leg and your cough!! Congratulations all the way around.

Jamoosh said...

Excellent job. I know you wanted a faster time, but now you have a starting point and I am positive you will spank it in no time!

Staci Dombroski said...

I am so proud of you!!! Way to go :)

Robyn said...

Nice job! Love the name of your blog btw :)

SeeGirlRun said...

Way to go Carly! Your performance was great considering your calf, cough, etc. Asking more than your body can give is asking for an injury to sideline you for 6 weeks. I'm proud of you and excited for you - you did an awesome job!!! Celebrate!

Laura

Amanda said...

Great race report!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Fanfrakintastic! Looks like the beginning of a beautiful relationship with your crew! Yeah, you guys were soaked.....

lindsay said...

i'm glad your friend helped remind you of those 'minor' details :)

congrats on your 5k! (especially in the rain, ugh - you toughed it out)

Al's CL Reviews said...

So proud of you. Especially in the rain. Way to get back!

Marcie said...

I enjoyed reading some of your blog today.
I am doing my first 5K as a beginning runner this coming Saturday. Thanks for the inspiration and great job on your 5K! Congratulations!!