Monday, April 19, 2010

Graston Technique

If you ever want to know what torture feels like, have the Graston Technique done to you. 

As I have mentioned, I am seeing a Chiropractor for some hip and knee issues.  Today's visit brought on a whole new kind of pain.  The doctor slathered on some goop and whipped out a stainless steel blade (as pictured) and ran it up and down my IT Band.  That thing hit EVERY. SINGLE. KNOT. 

Before she started, she looked at me with sympathetic eyes and said "This IS going to hurt".  I just nodded my head in agreement because I have had this done once before for a shin split issue several years ago.  All I can say is my shins must have a much higher pain tolerance because this was HELL!!!  I would have remembered that kind of pain.

I clutched the table and bit the insides of my cheeks as she broke up some bad adhesions.  I had to be careful with my language because my 7 year old was in the room (same day appointments).  But I can tell you I think I made up a whole new list of cuss words that would make your mama cry.  The doc said, "Hey, I think we found the root of all of your problems" as she sawed away.  She also said, "This CAN'T be worse than childbirth".  UMMMMMM..... in my world childbirth = morphine.  She finally stopped when she realized I had blacked out.  When I came to and heard my son say, "hit her again!".  Ugh.

She gave me my marching orders by telling me that  I will probably be BRUISED from this experience and that I should ice and stretch tonight.  She then said, "See you next Monday, we'll do this again."  Great!  I CAN'T WAIT!!!



(On a side note....it really did clear up my shin splints so I am have hope for this too)

15 comments:

Lisa said...

oh.my.gosh. and you PAID for this torture?!?

Megsie said...

You BLACKED OUT??? Holy crap, Carly...it BETTER work!

Delane said...

you blacked out...is that normal?

Carly said...

Ok...so I might have been a bit dramatic with using the term "blacking out" but I did see stars!

Erica said...

you poor thing! I hope it works for you!

Diana said...

And it's the kettlebells that scare you?????

runningmom77 said...

Owwwww! OMG that's nasty! Glad you lived through it!

Heather said...

Ouch! Hope it works!

Ann said...

holy crap just reading about it made me hurt!

Megan said...

I have to close my eyes to get dental work done. No way would I have let anyone never me with that thing in hand. Good for you for being brave. Hope it helps.

Staci Dombroski said...

That is crazy!!! I will add that to the list of why I will NOT see a chiropractor now :)

teacherwoman said...

OH my. I was squirming in my chair reading this post! Yikes! I hope it is worth the pain!

raulgonemobile said...

I saw the picture before reading your post, and I thought it was going to be something about the Hostel movie(s).

No, no.. much worse. I can only imagine what that felt like, but in a sick way, wonder if I should have something like that done.

Let us know how it works for you..

Denise said...

Ooooh, Yikes. What the heck is that??? Is it worse then elbows digging into your IT band? I just can't imagine. Ack!

Jami said...

I've had the graston technique done on my shins and I can completely empathize with what you went through!