Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What Happens When My Imagination Takes Over...

I have been going to the Chiropractor for a clicking knee and hip.  I have some mild IT band, knee, hip issues that I am being proactive about treating before they sideline me completely.  My clinic I go to is the local chiropractic university and I have both doctors and interns treating me at the same time.  The doctor does all the adjustments, while the interns do a lot of the muscle work.  I have been seeing some great results from my treatments.  I love this place and the all of the providers are AWESOME.

This time, for whatever reason, my imagination got the best of me.  I got into a conversation with one of the interns during my appointment.  After our friendly small talk about the weather and what we did for Easter, the topic turned to running.  As it turns out, she is an avid runner and has the body to match the title.  I on the other hand, have almost 25 years of running under my belt except I do not have a runner's body, I have a body of a competitive Little Debbie eater.  For whatever reason, I started getting depressed.  My mind wandered and I would imagine what was REALLY going through her head.

When she was telling me about a new race in town, I kind of tuned and I was trying to read her true thoughts.... I bet she thinks that I am lying about being a runner.  I bet she is laughing at me. I bet she is giggling about the fatty runner with all of the other doctors.  She is just humoring me to talk about running. Then I jump back into the conversation and say "That sounds like a cool race, you will have to give me a report and maybe next year I will consider doing that one."  OMG, was that an eyeroll???!!!

The conversation continued......

Me: You ran Grandma's marathon in 2006....so did I?  Wasn't the heat a killer?
Imagination answer from intern:  Yeah, fatso I run it every year and you look like you sweat eating Twinkies.  I doubt that you have ever run around the block.
Real answer:  Yes, it was a killer day.  My time sucked and I got really sick.

Intern:  Your quads are really in knots and your hip flexors are a mess.  Have you been stretching?
Imagination question from intern: Hey fatty, did you ever think that if you lost a few lbs you wouldn't have to waste my time patching up your chubby ass.
Me:  Yes, I do now. My years of never stretching has finally caught up to me.
Imaginations version of response: You bet your ass it has, you are too fat to run.  Lard ass.
Real Answer:  Let me show you a couple of new stretches that will get your hip flexors to release.  I do these all the time.


Truthfully, I am not sure what sparked this, perhaps chocolate poisoning from Easter?  Perhaps PMS? Whatever the reason....I was not myself.  Like I said my imagination was working overtime and I am a bit more sane today.  Those negative thoughts paid me back in a craptastic run last night.  I guess I could say I learned my lesson.

Moral of the story:  Do not let thoughts that other people may or MAY NOT be having ruin your day.

20 comments:

xm41907 said...

I used to worry so much about what others thought that I never felt good about myself. It doesn't matter if she was actually thinking those thoughts or not. YOU know you're a runner and that's all that matters. Keep up the good work!

Liz said...

I too have a lot of negative thinking....and I would have gone home and checked out her time...just to see how she did! :) (I am petty too).

Anyway, what were the stretches she showed you for hip flexors? Mine are killing me...

And personnaly, I think that it doesn't matter how you run...it is the fact that you are out there!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I, too, am so guilty of doing this-- Wondering what other this of me, that is... not judging others ;) You are a runner, don't doubt yourself!! :)

Heather said...

I often have the same thoughts and worry when I tell people I run that they are thinking yeah right.

Nice job getting your run in last night!

Monica said...

I think you're reading my mind!! Maybe that's our problem. We think too negatively.

teacherwoman said...

These kind of thoughts have appeared in my head when running, slowly, on the treadmill next to a skinny-blonde-speed-demon, wearing too much make-up and jewelry as her ass and boobs are hanging out of her running clothes. Wait, no, I think I laughed at her more than worried about what I looked at. LOL.

Positive thoughts, chica! :)

Staci Dombroski said...

Girl I am so sorry that you are feeling this way!! You have been an inspiration to so many out there! Do NOT let your negative thoughts get in the way!!

Jamoosh said...

...sweat eating Twinkies!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

ZOMG, sister, do NOT let that chiropractor in your head out into our real world! We have enough mean people out here already!

Delane said...

You live in my brain?

I have these thoughts all the time!

WannabeRunner said...

Ah, i do this sometimes too...it sucks. But glad you came to your senses and realized those are crazy thoughts. :)

Erica said...

bwhahaha you always make me laugh...I think because I feel like your in my head..when I see super fit chicks run by me like I am standing still I start saying evil rotten things to them in my head, when in fact I have met these girls and they are some of the sweetest most encouraging people! I pick Easter poisoning!

Megsie said...

Oh, Carly! I have imaginary conversations with people all the time! I am sure (at least I hope!) that it is all in my head. That is a gross place to be. The chocolate covered marshmallow eggs are not helping my self concept either.

Jami said...

I've had those same thoughts...so glad no one else can hear them!

Rosa said...

"I have a body of a competitive Little Debbie eater"--hilarious! I too have that little voice that makes me feel bad about myself. I am trying really hard to choke that little person until they pass out and never come back again.

Tricia said...

I swear I had that conversation in my head a few weeks ago while I was at PT.

My physical therapist is a runner too...but...turns out I run more than him and faster than him (pre-injury that is). Not that those things matter but darn it finding that out put a spring in my step. :)

Kim said...

You are so funny and way too hard on yourself! You like tiny in your picture! But I do get it; I'm a new runner....a size 18, down 109 pounds in the last two years, can finally run 2.25 miles on a treadmill without dying runner. So I always think people are rolling their eyes at me, but I don't care. I'm healthier than I have ever been in my life and it's how I feel that matters.

Meg said...

Heh, I actually do this all the time. It took me a long time to realize that what I *think* people are thinking is usually not what they are actually thinking.

I'm with you on the lack of a "runner's body" too. I'm still waiting to wake up one day all svelte and runner-esque.

Lily on the Road said...

Negative thoughts are a KILLER!

If you are out and "doing it", running that is....who cares what others think....imagined or not.

sanjeet said...

she was actually thinking those thoughts or not. YOU know you're a runner and that's all that matters. Keep up the good work!
post free classified ads