Monday, May 24, 2010

A Day at the Doctor

Dear Chubby Hubby,
I know that you make the worlds best popcorn with your "undisclosed" amount of butter.  I am writing to inform you that your popcorn has been banned from our home.  Yes, I said BANNED.  

The reason for this ban is because of the test results I got back from the doctor....I HAVE high Cholesterol!  I have never in my life been remotely high, so imagine my shock when the test came back at 214!  I blame you and your damned butter!!!!!  And don't think for a minute I am going to accept the "Well, you didn't have to eat it argument".  That stuff is like crack you know we are both junkies.  

Is this your way of trying to kill me?  If so, I have a whole new motivation to clean up my act.  I have a lot of years left of irritating you.

Sincerely,
Your Obese Wife who is on her way to having heart disease.


Anyway....
I just came back from having a routine physical.  Here was the breakdown:

The good:
My iron is completely back to normal.  Also my blood pressure is very good. and I "grew" .25 inches (thank you Pilates).  I don't have to go back for another year! 

The Bad:
My weight.  My doctor isn't worried very worried about my weight even though I do fit in the "obese" category.  I explained my frustration about the non-existent weight loss.  I listed the workouts that I do and shared my food journal with her.  She told after her review, she as impressed with the workouts but not so much the diet.  I am still consuming way too many calories and way too many carbs.  She suggested that I cut back the calories again and up my protein.  Most of the stuff I have been eating (with the exception of the popcorn) has been pretty good but there hasn't been a lot of protein.

She then added the advice of working out harder, longer, and be mindful of portion control.  She also reminded me that I am no spring chicken and I can't eat like an 18 year old even if I do a 20 mile run.  Gee thanks....at least she is in the same boat. 

The Ugly:
High Cholesterol!!!!!  Now  we are into non-vanity issues.  I have never had elevated levels.  I am springing in to action to nip this in the bud and get this down to where it belongs.  I could be from having butter laden popcorn at 10PM last night (Damn you Chubby Hubby!!) or it could be that my weight is catching up with me.  Either way, I am scared straight. 

I never like going to the doctor but I really had a nice time catching up with my doctor.  She has lost a lot of weight and has a lot of the same struggles as I do.  She also has gotten into running and cycling so we had a lot to talk about.  I apologize to the patient who was after me because we bullshitted for a LONG time.


Weekend wrap up with running.
  • I did 5.05 miles on Saturday. I got caught in a thunderstorm and had my first run with negative splits and my fastest mile EVER!  Maybe there should be lighting on every run that I do.
  • Sunday was an easy 3 miler.  The humidity and heat got to me but still did it.
  • Today, will be Jillian Michaels Shred.  Too hot to run tonight (for me at least).
Tonight I say good by to Jack Bauer.  *sniff sniff*  Anyone else going to be sad for 24 to be over?

18 comments:

X-Country2 said...

My family has a history of high cholesterol. Scary stuff!

James said...

I had high cholesterol a few years ago and altered my food intake and it got under control. I'm sure you'll do the same. There are a ton of things you can use for popcorn toppings that are a healthy substitution. Be creative and find some you like. I prefer Lowry's Season salt and chili powder.

Heather said...

Why can't exercise be enough? I find it so frustrating that I work out so much and should still have to worry about what I eat. Puke.

Nice job with your run this weekend! It is definitely steamy out today . . I'm going to try running at the track after work.

SeeGirlRun said...

I just got to borderline high cholesterol. I'm assuming it's a fluke. If it comes up again, then maybe I'll listen. Yuck! I use olive oil. I use smart balance. My portions of red meat have reduced dramatically. I use fat free half n half what more do they want from me?!

Laura

Carly said...

Well, I'm sorry to hear about the high cholesterol. I hope you're able to work that out.
And I will be glued to the tube tonight watching 24. I can't wait to see how it ends!

Jamoosh said...

Hi - I am Chubby Hubby's insurance guy. He called to update your life insurance policy. What's up with that...

KK @ Running Through Life said...

Oh no! Although buttery popcorn does sound good, I have found that I prefer popcorn popped in an air popper with a small drizzle of olive oil on it. Good luck!

RockStarTri said...

At my wife's second to last checkup, her cholesterol was on the high side (2teens). The doc recommended Red Rice yeast, fish oil, and flaxseed oil. Might sound crazy but last time it was 190s.

I'm taking the same stuff now as a precaution.

It is good that you know what you need to fix. Now you just need to do it.

teacherwoman said...

but home-made popcorn is the best! My family also has a history of high cholestoral and when I got mine checked when I was 25, the good was good, but the bad wasn't too good. I need to keep an eye on it, for sure!

Delane said...

Sux about the cholesterol. does it run in your family?

Hopefully you can control it with food.

I could not get into 24 this season. BF watches it, I just have it on as background noise now.

Tish said...

Good for you, Carly, for going to the doctor and getting everything checked out. I'm afraid I procrastinate in making my own. You know, I want to get back down to the good weight I was a year ago. I've made myself to committing to call for an appt. before the end of May.

Sarah said...

You can do it!! Although...I love popcorn and by the way you describe it, your husband's must be delish!!

Staci Dombroski said...

I will be so sad when it is over!!! I hate high cholesterol, it runs in my family!

MCM Mama said...

I hate the "getting older, just working out no longer cuts it" thing. Good luck with getting the cholesterol down. I know it's become cliche, but my dad really did lower his by eating oatmeal for breakfast every morning.

Aka Alice said...

I can so relate! After a lifetime of being, pretty much, a couch potato, albeit one with pretty darn low blood pressure and cholesterol levels, I started running.

Now, like you, I have elevated cholesterol levels...GAH!!!!!

I also think that buttery popcorn (or just butter in general...but it's better than margarine, right?) is probably the culprit.

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
High cholesterol run in my family. My mother, her mother and all of her aunts had it. Two years ago I went to the Dr. and had mine checked...I was 121! Yea, you really can't get any better than that! My doc then went on to tell me that my bad cholesterol was not high enough....what? She told me that I was 40 and I needed to be 60. It was shortly after that when I started running. It makes me a little nervous and I always worry about what my next visit will reveal:) Good luck to you!

lindsay said...

mmm buttery popcorn. so hard to resist sometimes! :(

i have definitely fallen into the "but i ran so i can eat this" habit HARD. need to clean that up! i am not seeing any results either and it sucks.

good luck with the cholesterol - get on top of it!

Ann said...

You grew! That's it I am starting pilates. Maybe I can grow tall enough to make me look 10lbs lighter. It might be easier than cutting calories =)