Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lucky 13

Yesterday Chubby Hubby and I celebrated 13 years of marital bliss.  We didn't get wild and crazy, in fact I didn't even go to Target and read him an anniversary card this year (yes, I am that cheap).   My brother offered to babysit the rugrats so we could enjoy a dinner out.  Our big plan was to try this new place (well new to us) not too far from our house.  We had heard great things about it and thought our anniversary was a swell enough occasion to go.

We went.  And....

The short story:
We ended up walking out of the joint.

The long story:
We walked and and two hostesses greeted us with the most unenthusiastic looks on their faces, no hello, no smile.  We felt as though we had just caused a major imposition on them.  They just barked off the waiting times for both indoor and outdoor seating.  That should have been our indication to leave.  Then we walked into the bar to wait for a table, I couldn't flag the bartender down for a drink if I was flashing my boobs.  Our pager buzzed and we were seated after about 15 minutes.  Again, we waited.  Our server came and took drink orders and then disappeared.  Another fifteen minutes later, we flagged her down and then she started venting about the other staff....but we still had no drinks! But.....she brought us water.  Finally we got up and left after half an hour of frustration. What does a girl have to do to get a beer???

(I emailed the place to offer my "feedback")

We ventured to Pub close to our house where we had a lovely dinner, had great service, and ended up having a really nice time (and the best fried pickles I have ever had!!!)   I realized this morning that the Pub's name was "Luckys 13".  It was a nice place to celebrate our "lucky 13th" wedding anniversary.  (insert awwwwwww here)

(I emailed this place to tell them I loved it)

This experience got me thinking about when customer service goes south. Chubby Hubby and I have very different approaches (like our personalities).  He quietly leaves with the satisfaction of not giving them his business.  I on the hand, feel I need to let them tactfully know what did not meet my expectations. 

How do you handle situations like this?

In the end, we had a really fun time (after the first place) and we came home and watched 24.  We are crazy!

27 comments:

James said...

Congrats on the anniversary. As for poor service, in our neck of the woods, it's more common to have crappy service than not. I rarely walk out of a place, but on occasion, I will. Like your hubby, I prefer the silent slip than a confrontation.

Staci Dombroski said...

I like to let a manager know because I would want to know if I was managing the place. Happy Anniversary!

Marlene said...

Happy Anniversary! Sounds like a great place to celebrate.

I'm not usually one to complain in person, but I have been known to email/mail complaints when service is bad. I think it's nice that you took the time to email the pub to let them know how happy you were!

Lindsay said...

Yeah for your Anniversary! Sounds like you celebrated it well.

Dawn said...

oooh, I love fried pickles! Congrats on 13 years!

Emz said...

YAY for 13!!

I only complain/praise when it's really bad/good either way. Takes a lot for me to be impressed/unhappy so when I am --- I tell people about it! :)

Erica said...

Glad you had a great day! You were married on my Birthday!!! I think it is soo awful when people have a customer service Job and can't do it! I am like you I have to let them know as tactfully as possible!

Heather said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys did better than us . . . our anniversary was last week and we ordered pizza (which we had to pick up because we live in the boonies and no place delivers) and then sat home in the rain and played Wii. Lame!

MCM Mama said...

Happy anniversary! Excellent pub choice. ;o)

I tend to just get pissed and not go back. LOL I like that you let them know what you experienced.

Carly said...

Happy anniversary! Sorry the first place didn't work out, but it sounds like you were better off anyway. I too like to let them know that I'm disappointed.

Jamoosh said...

I certainly hope there is a Lucky's 14 nearby...

tish said...

Congratulations! I'm with you. I detest poor customer service. It seems you lucked into the perfect place.

Diana said...

Happy Anniversary!

Sorry for first place, I would do the same as the hubby-I just walk away and never go back. Then I go to my blog and totally blast 'em on there! If I were you, I'd put their name and location on your next post with your thoughts and email a copy of it them!

Fried pickles? Very tasty for sure. Who would have thought!

Jess said...

Happy 13th anniversary! Sucks about the first place, but at least you had a good time at the second place!

Delane said...

I complain. Usually via email.

Congrats on 13 years and glad you had fun after all. Not so sure how I feel about fried pickles though.

RockStarTri said...

The short story is congrats. The long story is congrats. Everything else doesn't matter much in the scale of things.

Lori said...

Happy Anniversary!

I will write letters to the corporate heads if I am unsatisfied. Believe me, that gets their attention!

Monica said...

Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary!
Haaaapy Anniversary!

lindsay said...

congrats on 13! glad you were able to go somewhere for a good time :)

it depends... if it was REALLY bad service, then i'll probably send in a complaint. if it was just annoying/irritating i'll let it roll. i went to qdoba over the weekend and yes i realize it's essentially fast food but the girls behind the counter were rude and short and practically throwing my food down the line. hello i still get to customize my burrito!

Sarah said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I am usual vocal when I am not satisfied. My husband is quieter, so he lets me do the talking. :)

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
Happy Anniversary! I think that you were meant to go to the Lucky 13:) I am glad that the evening turned out great and that you had a great time!

Megsie said...

I am so glad that you salvaged the night. Now, I am dying to find out where you went first. I would totally let the manager know. The older I get, the more I complain. If people aren't doing their jobs, the manager needs to know. I am not rude, I just let them know.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Happy Anniversary!

wendy_kresha@charter.net said...

Awwww.... Happy Anniversary : )

Sherri said...

Happy Anniversary!
I do the "if I bought you a card, it would be this one" too!
I have to admit, I love when he takes the time to pick me out a card, and write something...but I just don't do it!
I am sorry you had a bad experience on your anniversary...bummer!
I hope the rest of the night was BLISS!!!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

yeahhhhh happy anniversary!!

we have totally walked out before if we decided we didn't actually like the menu or the whole vibe just felt yucky, cause darn it I'm out for a good time!!

teacherwoman said...

Congrats on the 13 years! :) As I am getting older (and wiser) I find that I am easily irritated by bad service. At the same time, I find that it's extremely important to let those know when they are doing a great job!