Thursday, May 20, 2010

Three Things Thursday

1.  I went to Pilates last night and I have come to the conclusion that I am bored with it.  I made the decision not to go last night, then at the last minute I peeled out of the driveway to make it to class.  I felt guilty that I saw the instructor at the kids' school and enthusiastically said I would be there I paid for it for the class and can't stand when I waste money.  The problem is, we have been doing the exact same moves for 9 months.  It is as redundant as doing a DVD.  While it is still a great workout, I am now finding it boring.  I don't think I will be signing up again for the summer session. I may consider going back in the fall.

Instead, I think I am going to take up swimming.  I really need a refresher course or get one of my strong swimmer friends to help me.  I know how to swim, but I can't seem to coordinate my breathing with the strokes.  Every summer we get a pool pass to the "Country Club" aka community pool and this year that have added time for an adult lap swim.  I really think my marathon training muscles will appreciate this.

2.  Tuesdays and Thursdays are not my favorite days.  It is my long day at work and the boys have baseball and tee-ball back to back (or at the same time).   I am going to re-work my training schedule so these are my rest days from running.  I will be able to resume the normal schedule after baseball season ends.

3. I am struggling with what to make for dinner on these crazy activities nights.  We don't have a lot of time between picking up the kids from school and the time we have to be at the ball field (20 minutes tops).  It was just discovered that there is a pizza joint up the road where we can get pizza (albeit crappy pizza) for $5 without waiting.  Knowing myself all too well...this pizza joint or the McDonald's drive through will become a really bad habit really fast.  Does anyone have a great grab and go options that is better than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (which is totally fine but it gets old fast)?  Tonight we are having left over pizza (again)...LOL

19 comments:

X-Country2 said...

Crockpot! Make meat for sandwiches or soups or something. You're right, McDonalds is TERRIBLE!

Staci Dombroski said...

I do the exact same thing as x-country 2. I love the crock pot!!!

teacherwoman said...

Same moves for 9 months?! I would get bored with that too! Someone needs to change things up a bit!

Yes, McDonalds is terrible and I find it hard to cook when the weather get's so nice. How about grilling a bunch of meat on the weekends and having left over chicken, brats, or hotdogs?! Same goes for potatoes and veggies on the grill!?

TNTcoach Ken said...

The Country Club and crappy pizza, don't you love summer???? I like the croak pot idea too........

Emz said...

I opt for taco bell or a rice bowl place when we MUST pick up something fast. Grilled chicken taco or grilled chicken bowl always "sits" a little better in my tummy. :)

wendy_kresha@charter.net said...

I agree with the crockpot ideas! I do that a lot on the nights we have many activities. Otherwise, it is sandwiches for us (deli turkey, summersausage, etc), grapes and baby carrots. I agree, it gets very boring, but hey, we can only do what we can do right? Oh, and leftover pizza is not a bad thing.... : )

Tish said...

Uh oh, stay away from the pizza joint. Crappy pizza is not the way to go. Where we are it's too hot and muggy to use the crock pot. Mine goes into hibernation in the summer. I'd suggest stir fry dinners. You can do all the chopping ahead of time and use leftover protein from your other meals. I vary by making mine sweet & sour (add pineapple, it's own juice, a bit of corn starch and vinegar to make the sauce). The kids might like helping you choose the veggies to put in it.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

hmm the whole reason I ever do a class is for variety and to spice things up, that's too bad!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Yikes, I'd be bored with that pilates too! Meal time around here is a struggle too

Carly said...

Swimming is such good cross training. Too bad you didn't live closer - I could give you some lessons. :-)

k2323 said...

Do you have a Dream Dinners in your area? There are some other similar types of places where you make meals (at their "store" on a Saturday morning) and bring them home and freeze them for the month.

This has been a lifesaver for my working mom friends and me. I take my 13 year old daughter to help prepare the meals and we get to spend some bonding time together.

Check it out at dreamdinners.com.

Love your blog BTW--it's one of the first running mom blogs I found and you got me hooked!

Kim

Lindsay said...

I agree with everyone CROCKPOTS rock! Lame the same same moves for 9 months I'd be ready for a change too!

Sarah said...

I need some swimming help too...I also struggle with coordinating my breathing...I usually end up swallowing water.
Sometimes, when I am on top of things, I make big dinners and then freeze something, this way all I have to do is thaw and reheat. Chili and ziti work well with this.

Al's CL Reviews said...

I would have quit pilates a long time ago.
Boring!

Jess said...

I would be bored with that piltes class too.

Good luck finding fast, easy meals! That's a toughie!

RockStarTri said...

I'm addicted to the "house of ronald" but get the salads. Good luck getting back into the swim of things.

Heather said...

I think swimming is a great choice. I have really loved it the past couple of months.

I do "snack" suppers for Sophie - have cut up red, yellow, and green peppers, string cheese, yogurt - I pack it all in her Cars lunch box and she thinks it's really a big deal.

Lisa said...

I'm not sure I can help with the dinner idea, but what works for me is to plan the meals ahead of time and post the dinner menu on the fridge. If you think about it ahead of time, you can know what you want to make and then you aren't stuck at the last minute trying to figure something out.

You mentioned grab - n Go. Is that because you don't have a lot of time or because you need to eat in the car? One of the quick meals that I like to make is ravioli (I get the refrigerated kind). It doesn't take long to get it ready or the sauce. But it wouldn't be good to eat it in the car. I also like to make soup for busy days (my recent fav is ham and bean and veggie soup). Make in advance and then just heat up individual portions when in a rush...

But again, my main advice is plan in advance. Then you won't be stuck with take out...

Megsie said...

I am in the same boat. Last night we did mac&cheese with hotdogs for the kids sandwiches for us. The night before: nuggets and corndogs for kids sandwiches for us. Do you see a pattern? I love the crock pot, but you have to be so organized for that. So basically, I have no answer for you. Good luck!