Sunday, May 16, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up

Friday night I was reading over my marathon training plan and I started freaking out.  There are only 21 weeks until the marathon!!!!  Life kind of got in the way for the last few weeks between sickness and family life, unfortunately running took a backseat.  The only thing that was going through my mind was how far behind I was in training.  The way I am approaching this marathon is a bit unorthodox.  Couch to marathon anyone?  Taking any time off is putting this race at risk.

Long story short, I quit fretting and got off my ass.  I told myself I was going to run as far as my legs would carry me and I would use that mileage as my "longest long run".  So, Saturday morning I set out to run and thought my legs would only be capable of doing 2 miles.  To my surprise, I was able to complete 4.4 miles without too much pain.  I immediately thought it was a fluke because I had taken allergy meds and advil prior to heading out the door.  There was no way I thought I could replicate that run.  I was wrong, this morning I hit the roads again and completed another 4 miles.  I guess the moral of the story is you never know how a run is going to be until you get out there. 

I am happy to say, I am not freaking out about training anymore.  I still have a few weeks before my official training program starts.  My first week's long run is 6 miles.  I will be good to go.  *knocking on wood*

It was a great weekend to be outside.  The rain finally stopped and the sun made an appearance.  I hope the weather stays around for a bit.

18 comments:

Megsie said...

Four Miles! Wow! That is so great! It really has been a wonderful weekend, weather wise. I hope it lasts, my feet are just beginning to thaw!

Lindsay said...

Awesome job! Yeah for sunshine :)

Sarah said...

Way to go!!!! Believe in yourself!

Bethany + Ryan said...

good job. 21 weeks is plenty of time! don't fret :-)

Carly said...

Great job getting out there. I find that my best runs come when I least feel like getting out there.

Missy said...

Right on. You gots all kinds of time, just stay on task.

Jen said...

Great job. The plan I am using is only 18 weeks... 21 weeks should be long enough.

Diana said...

They always say the hardest part of a run is going out the door!
Good job sticking with it and I agree with the weather-Thank God!
Can't wait for next month, I hope St. Paul won't be TOO hot for me at the end of the month!

James said...

it's so easy to lose track of time. Good job on the 4 miles!

SeeGirlRun said...

Hey - good for you! Sometime it's the MENTAL hurdle that's the hardest go get over. But you did it! And you have almost a half a year to get ready. No biggie. You'll be marathon material in plenty of time!!!

Laura

wendy_kresha@charter.net said...

I am also starting to freak out about this training!!!! We do our official long run this week (not sure how far ours is). The group I am training for the TC with is funny, their only goal is to finish and stay ahead of the "bus of shame"!

4 miles is great! Good luck and keep us updated on your progress : )

Lisa said...

Bring on the marathon training! Don't worry about the past few weeks. Start now and keep moving toward that goal!

MCM Mama said...

Woohoo! You are going to be so ready for the start of training!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Glad you got out there and proved yourself wrong!! :)

Staci Dombroski said...

Way to go on getting out there!!!

lindsay said...

most of the time, those days when i think i set the bar so low for myself end up being some of my best runs! :) (and often further than i anticipated) can't argue with that.

Delane said...

WTG..you should be able to train up to 6 in a few weeks.

Al's CL Reviews said...

If you can run 4, 6 should be no issue in a few weeks.