Saturday, June 5, 2010

My Glamorous Life

I am sitting here pissing away a perfect night to get stuff done.  The dishes are piled up, the laundry needs to be done, and the house looks like a bomb went off.   Rather I am sitting here staring blankly into my computer surfing the interwebs and reading nothing more than my friends' status updates on Facebook.  It has been a busy day and a crazier week.  I just don't have it in me to do one more thing today. 

I am tired.  This week past week was a short week, yet it felt so long.  Then today, I am a golf widow (13 hours and counting).  So rather than be productive, I have bellied up to my desk with a bag of chips and some cheap beer.  Dinner of champions.  Yes, my social life is kind of pathetic.

First of all, thank you for all of the comments about sunscreen and vitamins.  The other night I was roaming through Tar-jay staring blankly at the shelves.  I could not make a decision to save my life.  So I thought I would do an informal poll to see what is in your cart.  I also thank you for all of the music suggestions.  I received an iTunes gift card for Mother's Day and I need to update the tunes. 

Even though my mojo has left the building, I haven't really been lazy all day.  I did complete my long run this morning.  I did 6.26 miles (1 hour 12 minutes in the rain).  This is what six miles looks like (no wonder my kids ran screaming from the room).

Friday night, I actually got out of the house and did something WAY out of my norm.  I went to the reading of Run Like a Mother.  One of the co-authors, Dimity McDowell, was in Minneapolis for a stop on the book tour.  I was lucky to have been sent a copy to review back in March.  I absolutely loved this book and thought it would be fun to meet one of the authors.  I was intimated to go by myself so I dragged a couple of my friends kicking and screaming to come with me to this reading.  Just me walking into a bookstore is laughable, but an event like this made me feel like such a fish out of water.
I am really glad I went.  It was great to hear the author's comments on the book.  She was so down to earth and felt as though we could be great friends.  Even my friends enjoyed themselves so I didn't feel bad for dragging them into a bookstore on a Friday night.  I was inspired to re-read the book and I am enjoying it as much as I did the first time.  This is one that will be a good one to keep on the bookshelf and I highly recommend it as a great Summer read.  You do not have to be a mom to enjoy this book and it has something that all women runners can relate to.

 After the reading, my camera-shy BFF and I headed to continue the "discussion"..... over beers of course.


We also had some some happy hour food....fried pickels and potroast and gravy fries.  Both were just....Meh.  Nothing to write home about and certainly not a great thing to eat the night before a long run.

I am off to continue my fabulous Saturday night.  I may go fold a load of clothes before I hit the hay!  Don't be jealous!

22 comments:

Delane said...

you look great after your run!!! And I really like that color blue on you. It brings out the rosy post run cheeks!

Diana said...

As hard as it was to hit that "de-activate" button on Facebook, it was the best thing I've done!
Not sure if I'll ever come back.....

Fried pickles? I may have to call you when in town at the end of the month to meet you wherever these things are!

Jen said...

I look like that after my runs too. Glad you went to the Run like a Mother signing and reading... time with BFFs are awesome.

Heather said...

Great job getting your run in in the rain! I still haven't read that book . . . I was just at the bookstore yesterday, should have remembered to get it!

Lisa said...

good job on your run.

sorry, but that fried food looks disgusting to me. lol!

Megsie said...

Glad you had a fun night at the bookstore :) My house (and laundry) are still waiting for me....

Tish said...

Great job on the run! And, thanks for the mini-review of the book. I'll check it out.

Tricia said...

very cool, I've heard great things about the book

Lori said...

I think you look great after your run - glowing!

Monica said...

Hard work looks good on you! Fabulous picture girl!

wendy_kresha@charter.net said...

Awesome that you got to hear Dimity speak! Wish I could have been there!

Dimity and Sarah said...

Carly: thanks so much for coming...so glad you stepped out of your comfort zone and brought your friends on a Friday night. I really enjoyed the conversation our group had, and, like you, felt like we all could've been friends. :) Sorry you were a golf widow, but your dinner sounds right up my alley. :) Keep running like a mother! xo. Dimity

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

i love books and bookstores, I could spend hours there... really think you are teh one with no life now??

Cathy said...

I'm going to track that book down! Sounds like a great summer read. Somehow you look so much better than I do after running! I usually think I look really great, but then I check out the mirror on my way to the shower - red face, flat hair from my cap, and just plain sweaty - not glowing at all! Great post!

lindsay said...

slow down there, wouldn't want to be too productive while hubs is gone or else he might start expecting things! ;)

mmmm fried food.

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
Nice job on that 6 plus mile in the rain! Sometimes I don't mind running in the rain:)

I am so excited that you are going to be handing out the medals at Grandma's:) I will be looking for you. We are staying at the Inn...right by the finish line:)

I hope that you have an awesome week Carly!

Meg said...

Oh man wow! I'm really impressed with your motivation, it'll be along time before I can complete a six mile run, let alone six miles in the rain! Thanks for the book recommendation too, I think I'll go pick it up ^_^

X-Country2 said...

Awesome post-run pic. :o) Any run in the rain is hardcore!

Ann said...

way to go on the 6 miles!!!

Emz said...

You look great ! You must be joking!!

I sooooo need to get that book - sounds awesome!!

Running in the rain sounds like HEAVEN!!

TinaGirl said...

OMG! I'm IN RLAM! I'm the Tina that doesn't run fast enough to run in Boston. I'm the other one. LOL! You look 100 times better than I look after a run! I should have taken a picture of myself for my first day back to an official training program.

Jimag87 said...

Let’s face it. Who wants to be fat, especially women. It is a known fact that obesity in this country has become an epidemic. Why? If you look at TV, you will notice the media is constantly bombarding us with ads about food.
Why are advertising agencies flooding us with so many TV commercials about food, especially about McDonald’s or Burger King? The simple fact is they want you to get fat so you will go out and spend more money on diet pills. This way you can get skinny and then start all over by going back to the fast food joints to get fat again. It is a catch-22 scenario. It is a vicious cycle.

Understand one fact. The heath condition of the majority of people in developed nations has deteriorated to such an extent that it has literally become a crisis. According to experts, about 70% of the adult population living in the U.S is overweight. This means if you are thin and healthy you make up the minority.

This is a sad fact and something that needs to change. To think that the normal way to live is to be out of shape, overweight, and have all kinds of diseases? It is insanity. To think that nine out of ten people are obese is a bad stat. And this is what this country is leading to.

Why is this country leaning toward getting fat? It is because most of us live sedentary lives. Kids are not spending their time running around and playing games outside. Instead, they jump on their video games or spend time surfing the Internet and chatting with friends or others.
Besides the above, people are getting fatter because of the way they eat. They try to grab something quick and end up eating something they should not. Everything that is bought from the store is processed. It is refined. Most foods are packed with chemicals to preserve them for shelf life. We live in a fast-paced world. For this reason people claim they don’t have time to cook or are too tired to. So they grab quick junk foods from corner stores, fast food joints, and restaurants.

The plain and simple fact is that people have become lazy. In order to get out of that, you need to push yourself to maintain your control. You have to act responsibly.

The solution to being overweight is simple. Make smarter food choices, prepare your own meals, and get out and exercise. If you do this, you won’t have to worry about being fat.
_______________________________________________

If what is contained in this article scares you, then you need to pick up a copy of my e-book Fast Track To Fat Loss.

Once you do this, you will learn the right way to eat and will lose that weight and keep it off as well. Just go to http://super-fast-fat-loss.com to learn more.