To sum up the experience in one word would be AMAZING!!!! What made this experience so amazing was seeing people of all abilities cross that finish line after conquering the SAME 26.2 miles.
I was completely in awe seeing the elite runners cross the finish line and making the marathon look effortless. The next wave of people that came were what I call the speedy mortals. This is the group of people that I can only dream about running with. They are the Boston Qualifiers and the sub 10 minute per mile group. I was so inspired watching this group finish because someday I want to be with them. When the clock hit the 5 hour mark, my peeps started crossing. I am a back of the backer myself and seeing this group cross moved me the most. There were a lot of first timers and a lot of people that did something that they once thought was impossible. They finished and they did it with a lot of emotion. I was brought to tears more than one time. It was amazing because no matter if they were elite, a speedy moral, or a back of the backer....they all can call themselves marathoners.
Things that I saw experienced:
- Elite Runners- WOW!! Their bodies are incredible and they made the marathon look effortless.
- The first woman to cross the finish line ...again WOW!
- 2 engagements- I can't imagine the pressure and the stress of carrying a valuable ring for 26.2 miles.
- A couple that celebrated their 26th wedding anniversary by running the marathon
- A woman celebrating her 70th birthday (Under a 5 hour finish too!!!!!)
- LOTS of sweaty hugs and celebratory high fives
- I also got kissed by a man that became a marathoner that day.
- I heard a lot of people say "NEVER AGAIN" my response was "See you next year". Ha!
I was so happy to make it a family affair this year. Chubby Hubby and my oldest son were on duty passing out finisher t-shirts.
My brother and I
This is my brother and a close family friend goofing around. They crack me up.
Sweaty and gross but we still have smiles on our faces.
My favorite part of the day was seeing the faces of the runners when they were done and came to get their medals.
Duluth throws one hell of a party after the race in Canal Park. They have a huge tent party with lots of beer and great bands. Perfect way to end the weekend.
Last but not least....Happy Father's Day to the best baby daddy in the world!