Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up

Friday evening, I got dressed to run and waited for Chubby Hubby to get home from work.  I noticed that the clouds were getting darker and darker but hoped that I could sneak in a  3 miler before the storm.  He strutted through the door at about 5:30 and the sky became pitch black seconds later.  The wind picked up and the tornado sirens went off.  My run plan for the night was dead and we immediately jumped into our emergency action plan:
  • Movie
  • Pizza
  • Beer
  • Basement
The bad part of the storm passed rather quickly but we had a fabulous lightning show for the remainder of the night.  I love storms (as long as I am indoors).  Thankfully we did not have any damage.  We just had a few branches down and some streets that temporarily flooded.

Saturday morning I chose to go out with my BFF to our weekly coffee date prior to running.  Note to self:  run then coffeeI figured the caffeine jolt would be good as a pre-run fuel.  It did help, however, by the time I headed out it was almost 10AM and it was humid and hot!!!!  I did OK until I hit the 7 mile mark.  After that, bonked and I bonked hard.  I totally hit the wall.  I had to resort to run a couple of minutes, then walk a bunch of minutes.  Somehow, I made it home.  If I would have had a cell phone or cab fare I would have phoned it in and called it a day.  It was miserable.  My time sucked but I got it done.  Week 4 of training is in the books and 9 miles got done by the grace of God.

The rest of the weekend was hanging out with friends and chilaxing (read: drinking a lot of beer).  Sunday night I got to have my very first blogger meet up.  I got to meet Diana as she was in town for a very special reason.  We had a great time and it was nice to finally meet her in person.

This week's challenge is going to be getting all my workouts in while juggling the last week of baseball, end of the year work stuff, and planning the annual Independence Rocks party (we love the 4th of July in the Casa de Chubby!) 

18 comments:

misszippy said...

Love your emergency back-up plan! Yes, I agree, gotta do the run first, then coffee. Sounds like a great weekend.

Megsie said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend, and NINE MILES DONE! Whoo Hooo!!

Carly said...

Way to go on the 9 miles. And I hate having to skip runs because of storms. Ugh.

Charbelle said...

Congratulations on the 9 miles! I know what it feels like to hit the wall at 7 it's rough! Good job on forcing yourself on!!
Your party sounds like fun :)

Diana said...

Carly, getting to meet you was one of many highlights I had this past weekend! Thanks for showing me St. Paul.
Keep up with the running-you'll do well I'm sure.

Jess said...

I like the emergency back up plan! A person always needs beer.

Nice job on the 9 miler, despite having a tough time the last two miles.

Tish said...

NINE miles??? You Rock.!! Don't care if these was some walking; it still counts. I read a study where coffee is supposed to give a good jolt to your runs, but they didn't figure in the heat. Get up earlier, then coffee, then run. I'm right with you on the storms. I love exciting storms (tornados, lightning, hurricanes) as long as we're safe in the house. Happy 4th!

MCM Mama said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend. Good job finishing the 9 miles, despite the wall.

Emz said...

I want a back-up plan that looks just like that!! ;)

Lisa said...

definately run before coffee. coffee can be the treat. you have to get out while it's cool!

Average A said...

Great run in the humidity on Saturday... very impressive!!! I squeaked out a meek 5 miles around 11am and had to walk home after the remainder. Wayyyyy too humid this weekend & I started too late. :( The storm was definitely fun though... because I was also indoors. :)

xoxo,
A

lifestudent said...

I always wish I could have coffee before I run. There is a club that does that as a group - grabs a coffee then goes for a run. Not only does it make me hot and take up lots of time ... but it doesnt do too well on my body (pre run) either :)

But all the beer sure sounds like a good idea!

Heather said...

I love a good thunderstorm too (although the severe stuff has been a bit much lately!). Great job getting the workouts in. Enjoy the 4th!

Sherri said...

I love the 4th too!
Great job on all the running!

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

You did it and that's all that matter love! Nine miles is NINE miles no matter how you slice it!

wendy_kresha@charter.net said...

Those storms were CRAZY last week! Good for you for getting in your 9 miler. Mine was tough last week, too. Hope you are enjoying the marathon training!

Jamoosh said...

Love me some back-up pizza!

lindsay said...

i love that you and diana met up!

i was afraid coffee --> run meant it got your bowels moving mid-run. that is one of my main issues with coffee. strictly for post-run only! :)

sad that i am catching up on last weekend now that it is a new weekend, but at least i made it, right?