Thursday, July 22, 2010

Impromptu Race

Last night I ran the Life Time Fitness Torchlight 5K.  It is a fun run race that kicks off the Minneapolis Aquatennial Parade.  It runs through the streets of downtown Minneaopolis, over the Stone Arch Bridge,  and finishes at St. Anthony Main.  There are THOUSANDS of people that come out on a hot July Wednesday night to do this run.  Why?

It is the race that thinks it is a party!
(Their words, not mine)

 That was a good enough reason for me to do it.  A race with free beer and live music, how could I pass that up?  I finally decided at 6PM that I was going to do this 5K.  I hauled ass downtown, parked, and walked a well over two miles to to the start of the race.  I was quite impressed that I did all that and was registered by 7:15PM.  I waited for my friends to pick up their packet and we headed for the start.

The race itself was pretty uneventful.  Since it was a fun run, I just ran for fun and didn't have any time expectations.  It was fun to people watch.  My favorite, was the group of guys that ran in skin tight cut off jean shorts...I hope they lubed up.  There was a lot of people and it was HOT.  Even at 7:30, the temp was still pretty steamy.  I love running through downtown Minneapolis.  It is quite beautiful down by the river.  We finished strong then headed over to the race after party for our free beer.  I have to say, I am glad I decided to do it.  It broke up the monotony of the week and it was a fun way to get a training run in.

Hot, gross, and sweaty after the race!

I did not run today.  Rather, I am starting to pack up my children to get them ready for a week long trip to their grandparent's house.  I am GIDDY with excitement to have a kid free week I am going to miss them so much.  Also in 41 days....I will be heading to Florida for the annual Labor Day trip.  Chubby Hubby insisted that I stay until Labor Day which makes my trip 6 days long (I am slightly suspicious of why he said to "go and enjoy the trip", but right now I don't care.  There will be a beach).   Double RnR this summer!!!  I am one lucky girl!  While I am excited for the trip, I don't want to wish time away because that means summer is OVER. 

13 comments:

Charbelle said...

That race sounds like so much fun!! Good for you for deciding to participate!! The beach... Oh I am so jealous :)

daysrun said...

I enjoy night races, but there aren't very many of them around here. SkirtChaser is probably the only one I know of and it is a blast!

Megsie said...

Sounds like a fun race! I am jealous that you get to "miss your kids so much." I would too.

MCM Mama said...

Sounds like a great race.

So jealous of the kid free week! Some day I'll have one of those.

Average A said...

What!? Free beer! I almost ran the but couldn't justify paying that much for a non-charity event; so instead I got a pedicure. :P Had I known about the free beer and I TOTALLY would have been there.

Glad you made it down there. :) I did go by on my bike, if that counts for anything. :P

xoxo,
A

Kelly said...

A race at night? That's pretty awesome. They should do more of those!

Jamoosh said...

What? huh? You say you went to a party and a race broke out?

Jessica said...

Sounds like alot of fun!

Delane said...

I love night races, they are so much fun!

Becka said...

I've only done one night race, and I got hailed on!! Sounds like a fun race though :D

Tish said...

You're my hero! I wish I was the kind of person who would run an "impromptu" race. Plus, what a great way to get 5K (out from) under your belt. Way to go.

Megan said...

I love a race with a good after party.

Enjoy your time to yourself.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Sounds like a cool race!