Monday, July 12, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up, Head Games

Is it really Monday morning already?  This weekend was a BLUR.

Saturday, BFF and I had our annual garage sale.  We hung outside all all trying to purge our houses of crap we no longer need.  All of our hard work paid off in $150 in profits (for both of us).  It never is about the money.  It is a day that we are stuck with each other and we can sit and chat all day and enjoy cocktails.  Yes, we have cocktails all day.  We even rope in some of our other girlfriends to haul their crap over and hang out with us.  The people watching is usually awesome, however, we did not have story worthy things happen this time around.  We did have some fun with the stuff that we were selling.  BFF was selling her hubby's DJ mixer and microphone.  I thought I should buy it because I was having a great time entertaining our customers.  ha!

Sunday,  I had 10 miles on the schedule.   I was nervous because it was my first double digit mileage  and I missed my long run last weekend.  I got early and headed out.   I started out slow, even slower than normal.  Once I got to 2 miles I was almost ready to give up because I checked out my Garmin and I could WALK faster than I was running.  My legs were feeling like concrete and I couldn't find my groove.

Then I got a sign.  Quite literally, there was a sign that contained the word MENTAL (I have no idea what it was for, the ADD kicked in again and I only got the word MENTAL).   Ah ha!!!!  I needed to mentally train.   One of the most important things that I have learned from my last two marathons is that when you are tired, the only thing that keeps you going is the belief that you will cross the finish line.  This long run was going to train the brain.  It was all mental.  I stopped looking at the Garmin and just put one foot in front of the other.  I ran, I walked, I cussed...and each step got me closer to being done.  I finished it!

After the run, I resumed my normal motherly duties such as digging out a bead that Diva shoved up her nose.  Chubby Hubby and I did minor surgury to remove it.  Success.  Then as a family we headed out to see Toy Story 3.  It was a great movie!!!  I sobbed and sobbed!  I cried at a kids movie.  It is definately worth seeing and it will make you want to hug your kiddos.

Another great summer weekend.  Back to reality today!

15 comments:

Charbelle said...

I've got to break my mental stuff too. It helps if I don't think about it and it would help if I would actually sit down and figure out how to work my ipod.
I cry in kids movies too! I want to see Toy Story 3 so thank you for the heads up that it will most likely make me cry!!

bobbi said...

The mental part is the toughest for me to conquer - GREAT JOB!

And I think I want to see Toy Story even more than my kids do!

Jess said...

Long runs really are all about brain training. Nice job toning your cerebellum!

Lisa said...

right on! so much of it is mental training

Sarah said...

Way to go on the 10 miles!!!! I want to see Toy Story 3 also! It is on the schedule for this week. :)

Becky said...

Way to go with the 10 miles. I could never do that. I couldn't even run to the mail box with out causing some sort of injury to my self. (Bad knees)
The "mental" part of doing anything is key. If your not in the right frame of mind, forget about it. That is my major problem. I feel incouraged by you! Thanks! Oh and I wish I had been at your yard sale, sounds like you and your girls had a fun time.

Megsie said...

I just want to know what you were singing!

Cathy said...

Very true - it's the mental stuff that is the hardest!

Saw Toy Story 3 with my kids a couple of weeks ago - cried too! I think it was one of the best "kid" movies I've seen in a long time. Loved it!

suzy said...

Do you know how many people did NOT do 10 miles this weekend? Lots and lots. Good job!
p.s. I cried at Toy Story 3 too! boo hoo!

H Love said...

Great way to look at a long run...mental toughness! Bonus to go bead digging too!

Heather said...

Way to gut it out on the run! Excellent mental training.

I took Sophie to see Toy Story this weekend too, and cried. Such a good movie!

Diana said...

I keep hearing about how everyone cries at Toy Story 3.....I so loved the first two, but kind of worried about going to see #3.
Congrats on the mental game! Just picture me running behind you trying to get you to learn how to swing and that should keep you moving forward!!

lindsay said...

Way to go on your mental training run! I need to work on my toughness too... I've become a real wimp.

A Saturday of cocktails... I'd do it!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Ah parenthood and the joy that it brings........ Double digits baby!

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

Excellent motivation and inspiration, Love it!!