Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Miserable 4 Miles

Today was NOT my day for running.  Both Mother Nature and the Gods of Running were out to get me.  I guess it was their way of teaching me not to take a week off of running while in the middle of a training program.  They were not going to make my comeback easy and they were going to make sure that I paid for my over indulgences.

Today was a beautiful day.  In fact, over lunch, I hit the Farmer's Market and ate my lunch outside.  It was a hot one but it was nice.  I brought my clothes with me to work so I could get a few miles in before I had to pick up the kiddos.  As I was leaving, Mother Nature opened the sky and it started raining in sheets.  She also threw in a bit of thunder and lighting.  My after work run didn't happen.

After a few more hours of rain, the skies cleared and I headed out.  Holy hell it was HUMID!  My legs felt like lead so I ended up  taking a few more walk breaks that I would have liked.   When I did feel like I was chugging along at a decent pace, the Garmin slapped me back into reality.  I was slow tonight.  Very painfuly slow.  My skin was sticky and I had a nice collection of bugs stuck to my skin.   If that wasn't bad enough I was half way through my run and my stomach started churning.  Thankfully, I gambled and WON and I didn't have to come home and explain that story to Chubby Hubby.

In the end....I accomplished 4.33 miles.  Slow, but they got done. 

What did I learn:
  • Street vendor food is maybe not a good idea to eat prior to running
  • Taking a whole week off of running during marathon training is also not a good idea
  • A late night or two takes me at least 3 days to recover
  • Humidity sucks

21 comments:

Delane said...

good job getting out there. It was 87 degrees at 6 am. I rolled over.

Holy Hannah said...

I totally know what you mean! I am not a runner but I walk Lake Nokomis after work. I was so bummed when I saw the rain. I was really looking forward to this afternoon. ~Steph
bethebutterflies.blogspot.com

Megsie said...

BUT YOU DID IT! I, on the other hand, ate wheat thins. At least SOMETHING around here is thin.

daysrun said...

got my run in at 5 this morning - cool 55 degrees, no humidity, some clouds. now you can see why i left the midwest for colorado!?! if it's any consolation, i only did 3 miles cuz i was tired too!

Diana said...

I did some running up in Door County and it was humid here to! That sucked, but the gorgeous sunset made up for how "bloated" I felt!
Loved the time away though, my kettlebell came back with sand on it! However, the best part of vacation is coming home!

Julie said...

At least you got out there and ran! You did more than me! I know that the weather has been so freaking hot and humid lately! Last night I cut our lawn and was just dripping with sweat like after 20 minutes:(

I love the Farmer's Market...we try to get there every other weekend!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Ha, I love how they conspired against just you......... Those are very valuable lessons to keep in mind, until the next time you forget.

Carly said...

I agree that the humidity sucks. And you're right, they might have been slow miles, but they are still miles. Way to go for getting back out there!

The Jogger Blogger said...

Way to go for just getting it done! I probably would have wimped out.

RockStarTri said...

Good job in getting the work done in less than optimal conditions.

bobbi said...

Humidity Sucks. AMEN. Great job getting it done anyway!

Lisa said...

good learnings. sounds like you need to avoid late nights and random weeks off if you want to stay on track for that marathon! better to know this now as motivation to stick to the plan. :-)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Been gross here lately too... good for you getting it done!! :)

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

Hey slow and steady wins the race!!!

teacherwoman said...

Way to get 'er done!

Tricia said...

I had the suckiest run yesterday too, that should mean tomorrows will rock...right? :)

Hope it does for you!

Heather said...

I am having a really hard time adjusting to this humidity! I feel like I have been seriously slacking with the runs . . . next week! :)

Al's CL Reviews said...

Good for going out. I hate running in humidity.

Tish said...

I'm sure hot, humid runs win you more stars in heaven.

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

You are hilarious but you got the job done, and one of these days we should grab a brew and exchange some stories, I got some doosies, so much so that my brother-in-law's retort to any obvious answer is "Does Deanna Shit in the woods?" NICE!

zbsports said...

This is a very good post, and I was so entertain by it. I like five fingers shoes that is an awesome shoes.