Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wardrobe Woes

Chubby Hubby and I are having a blast being kidless for this week.  We have been going out every night because we rarely do it when the kids are at home.  Stepping out on the town has presented some challenges....I have NOTHING to wear.  Everything I own is boring (t-shirts), worn out, or too small.   We have a very lax dress code at work so I typically wear jeans.  At home I can be found in shorts or sweatpants.  I have nothing for these occasions that I get out of the house.

We were going Downtown to have dinner at Solera and I could hardly find anything acceptable to cover my bod.  I was planning on wearing what I wore to work, a black skirt and a t-shirt.  That plan was nixed when my friend at work looked at me with a "no way in hell" kind of look on her face and proceeded to tell me I looked cute but FRUMPY.  FRUMPY!!!!  I love my honest friends (I say that after I called her a bitch)!!!  So, I desperately needed a plan B.

I dug through my closet and found white linen shirt that was rather matronly flowy, a pair of black capri pants that needed to be jacked-up because I couldn't zip them, and paired them with low heeled black slides. I topped off the outfit with my multi-functional, works with anything Lia Sophia necklace.  I pulled together something that was mediocre at best that fit into the boring category.  By stepping out in these digs, I was waiting for two things to happen:
1.  Someone to ask me when I was due.  The cut of the shirt is less than flattering and looked like a maternity shirt.

2.  Someone to say they had the same Lia Sophia necklace.  This happens every single time I go out of the house with it on.  Damned home parties!!!

Moral of the story:  I either need to get cracking and starting dropping some serious lbs or I need to go shopping and get some dang clothes that I can be seen wearing in public. 

The good news is, I am not getting any bigger.  The bad news is I am RUNNING ALL THE TIME and I am the SAME SIZE!   At least the wardrobe woes didn't stop me from having a fabulous time.

20 comments:

Diana said...

I hate to say it, but it's true....

"You don't lose weight BY running, you lose weight TO run." Period.

Do some bodyweight stuff, lift heavy things-you won't turn into the "she-hulk", you'll burn more fat with the muscle you gain!
I know, learn to swing!! Had to throw that in there, it's been a while since I bugged you about kb's!!

Enjoy the kid-free zone!!

Megsie said...

I think you looked just ravishing. I need to start running--AGAIN. Geez. I am such a slug. So jealous of your kid-free week, I can't stand it!

Emz said...

oh how I love your posts.

You're awesome.

Lily on the Road said...

OMG Carly, I could be writing this, well without the husband part.

same, same, for me, casual outfits at work and at home running clothes or sweatshirts that I wear gardening...Yikes, lets work on this together.

BTW, you look great....

Lisa said...

I have nothing to wear when we go out either.

I struggled with the weight thing myself for a few years and finally realized that it's both calories IN and calories OUT. And to be quite honest, it's a lot easier to exceed the calories IN than work them off with exercise. I don't know about you, but I *LOVE* to eat.

If you want to loose weight, you probably need to be honest with yourself about both sides of the equation.

Lori said...

I agree on the lifting. You will gain strength (which will help you run) plus your body will burn calories better with more muscle. And you won't get bigger.

Have you looked at consignment shops? I shopped there a ton as I was losing because I didn't want to drop $$ on new clothes that would be too loose before long. Saved me a lot of money.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Let the men chime in. I have my one funeral suit that I wear every Christmas and swear the I'm going to buy another one. I think it happens with age, where are my Velcro strap shoes?????????

Megan said...

I hate those days. I've been loosing a few lbs but I don't feel any smaller. I think the real prob is the girls. They get in the way of cute shirts (for me. looks like you might have the same issue.) Maybe buy a go-to faux-wrap shirt. You can wear it everywhere. Or a dress.

I'm kinda jealous you're kid free. Y'all have fun!

Mike Russell said...

You are doing great -- stay focused and everyone here is right -- it will come off.

Even if it doesn't, you will still have a hell of a time running.

MCM Mama said...

I get you on the frustration with running not taking off the weight. How can I be 10 pounds heavier than when I started running? Oh yeah, it's that eating thing. ;o)

go get yourself a cute outfit or two at someplace relatively inexpensive (like Kohl's). I think it's important to have clothes at whatever weight we are that make us feel like we look good.

I'm quite jealous of the kid-free thing...

The Jogger Blogger said...

I could use new clothes myself....but hey, at least you accessorize! I don't even do that...

Enjoy the rest of your kid-free week!

daysrun said...

well darn if you didn't miss the sale at my mall job! maybe we'll have another one. it's christopher & banks. nice stuff.

Staci Dombroski said...

I hate that feeling!! I hope you have a good rest of the week!

Al's CL Reviews said...

I don't know who this Sopia person is, but I like your necklace.

And I didn't lose weight from running until I cut out eating out.
:(

Vee said...

Luckily I kept all of my clothes from my travel up the weight scale, so I have things in almost every size. Well, until I get out of 1x! Then I'll just be baggy until I can afford to reward myself with a shopping trip.

Vee at http://veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

Kathleen said...

Yeah, the running doesn't help that much, does it? I lost most of my weight before I started running -- and gained while training to run a marathon. (But I like your outfit.) :-)

Miz said...

I think you look amazing NOW.

without changing a thing, woman.

and you know I must yammer about my weight training love.

not for fat loss but for feeling,well, BADASS along the running way :)


MizFit

Delane said...

I don't lose weight running.

But I find it hard to gain weight when running.

I have ONLY lost weight by eating less.

Weight Loss for me is 90% what I eat, 10% what I do. But if I exercise I'm less likely to get garbage stuff and more likely to count. And I firm up.

And, on the shopping thing. Go buy a few new items. When you feel good about the way you look it helps with the self esteem.

lindsay said...

Totally a good enough excuse to me to buy a new outfit! I hate spending money on clothes (believe it or not) but sometimes a new outfit really boosts the self-esteem. Not to mention makes getting dressed a whole lot easier too!

And... Post a pic of this lia Sophia! I went to a LS party and am curious to know if I got the same necklace ;)

FruitFly said...

I tried to go shopping for some new clothes. My main goal was for 2 weddings I had to go to in one month. What I saw in the stores didn't impress me. And the worst part of it .... the cut on most of the tops and dresses ALL made me look preggo. I don't want or need an empire waist on everything. Shopping was a bust, 'cause like any woman that is not with child, I didn't want to have that awkward question/answer session.

I feel like if i watch Project Runway enough maybe I can just make my own clothes? Ha. Yeah right.