Sunday, July 18, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up-12 Miles

I really don't have much to wrap up for this weekend.  We had overnight company on Friday, Saturday we had another tornado warning (no damage, Thank God!), and Sunday was the long run.  Now it is time get back into planning for the week ahead.

I am starting a new roll at work tomorrow.  It is not a new position because I am actually doing the job right now.  Even though I was full-time, I was working two part-time jobs in my department.  While I loved the variety, I was losing my mind!!   I love chaos, but even this was a bit much.  A normal position opened up and I jumped on it.  I start it tomorrow.  Yay.
 
 I was fretting about my 12 mile.  I was only able to get out and do 4.5 miles total this past week and I didn't feel prepared.  I kept telling myself that I ran 10 miles, 12 should be no sweat.  I got up and and made my PB and J bagel and procrastinated for about 2.5 hours.  When I finally headed out, the weather was PERFECT.  It was overcast, mid 70's, and there was a nice breeze.  My 12 miles seemed to fly by and in fact I did the 12 miles as fast as I did my 10 mile run last weekend (fast being relative of course)!  It was a great run.

I did something a bit different on this run than I did for last weeks 10 miler, I brought water and shot blocks.  I learned my lesson last week that 7 miles in is way too late to have my first sip of water.  I brought a long two different types of shot blocks.  I brought a couple black cherry because they contain caffeine and I brought a couple of maragarita flavored ones (yes!!! maragarita flavor!!!!).  They contain sodium.  The combo of the two were great.  I never take as many as they say on the package.  I took one block every 30-40 minutes with water.  Worked like a charm!

Back to the Margarita Shot Blocks....They were tasty!!!!!  These will be coming with me on all of my long runs.  Go figure, I finally find some running fuel that I like and it is flavored after one of my favorite cocktails.  Ha!  Thank you REI lady for suggestion that I purchase these.

20 comments:

Pam said...

When they make them in Bloody Mary, I'll be on board!

RockStarTri said...

Great job! One idea to try drinking/nutrition on a clock. For example, every 20 minutes take a sip of water or every 30 eat something. I know people who set their watch to beep to remind them.

Heather said...

Nice job on your long run! I have used the shot blox before and like them.

Lori said...

Congratulations on the 12 miles!

Diana said...

See, you pulled off that run without a hitch. Gotta remember you have to work on that mental game.
I use GU chomps.......LOVE em! They are so damn tasty and they keep my level going throughout a run!

Congrats on getting that 12 miles done!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Congrats on the 12. Margarita shot blox sound interesting!

Jess said...

I love Shot Bloks! Glad your 12 miler went so well!

Tish said...

12 miles! You're my hero(ine!). I wimped out on my long (6 mile) run yesterday and only did 4 because the weather was awful. Maybe you'll inspire me.

teacherwoman said...

When my sister was training for her last triathlon, she was taking ShotBloks and loved them. She couldn't handle Gu and this was better in regards to texture. I might have to try them.

Good luck with the new position at work. I sometimes like a little chaos too, but it can get old fast!

Charbelle said...

OH YAY!!! Congratulations on an awesome run that is so awesome!! So I'm totally getting the margarita and black cherry shock blocks and trying them!!! I did 8 miles yesterday morning and was ridiculously dehydrated!! I forgot to bring water with me, big mistake!!! Then last night I went out dancing in heels, oh my legs hurt today!!

Middle Name Marie said...

Good Job on an awesome run! It is crazy how some runs seem so trying while others are a breeze!

Margaritas are my fave cocktail, too!

Megsie said...

Wooo hoooo! Good for you!!

Heather said...

I'm definitely serious about meeting up for a long run - I love company on the run! If you want to try to plan something, just e-mail me. hmwynn at gmail dot com.
:)

bobbi said...

yay on the long run!!!! I will have to try shot blocks - so far gu is the only thing I can stomach...

Average A said...

I just saw the margarita shot blox the last time I was in my running store. Glad to hear you like them! I might have to give them a try... :)

Jamoosh said...

A 12 miler that flies by - I need one of those. Great job!

lifestudent said...

I like the margarita too ... but the pina colada one almost made me barf. I guess not all beverages should be made into shot blocks ;)

Megan said...

Hmm...I've never tried the margaritas. I usually stick with orange. I'll have to give them a try.

Cathy said...

Great job on your 12! Thanks for mentioning shot blox - I've never heard of them. I've used Gu on my half marathon and it nearly made me barf. I wonder...does it come in Lemondrop Martini flavor?

Delane said...

blocks make me jittery. But I love a good margarita!