Tuesday, August 31, 2010

State Fair Recap and Adios!

Milk Run Race Report
I crossed the finish line. Barely!

The course was nice even though it was all uphill!!! Again, I am not sure when all these hills popped up in Minnesota! It started and ended at the ground of the Minnesota State Fair and the route took us through the University of Minnesota-St. Paul Campus.
I started running and made it about a block, two tops before I was gasping for air. I couldn’t breathe. I wanted to cry because I was finally getting to run with Sarge and I couldn’t even muster up a jog. I walked. Then I would run a couple of steps, stop, then I would start walking. Sarge was a good sport about it and didn’t leave me in the dust. She stayed with me and said it was all for fun. I cannot even remember a time that I have felt so horrible running…..not even when I was a smoker.
Sarge and I running to the finish.  I actually look like I ran!

Walk. Run. Stumble. I finally finished the race in about 44 minutes. Thankfully my race depression quickly diminished with knowing I got to spend the extra time on the course with Sarge and the excitement of the fair. I forgot all about how horrible I ran after my first bite into a cheese curd. *drool*

The Fair

Once again the state fair did not disappoint me.

  • Beer
  • Cheese Curds
  • Strawberry Stuffed Scone with Cream Cheese
  • Cajun Style Deep Fried Pickles
  • Beer
  • Pork Chop on a Stick
  • Beer
  • Australian Battered Potatoes
  • Beer
  • Corn Dog
  • Scotch Egg
  • Garlic Fries
  • Pot Roast Sundae (mashed taters, pot roast, corn, BBQ sauce)
  • Tater Tot Hot Dish on a Stick
  • Deep Fried Mac and Cheese on a Stick

And that is all I had. Ha!
strawberry scone.

We actually had a pretty big group of people with us and we shared everything. That is the way to do it to cover the most ground. Really, a bite or two of each thing is about all I need. The only thing I didn’t share was the strawberry stuffed scone. It was heavenly! My favorite food item were the Cajun Deep Fried Pickles.  Sorry Diana, I couldn't find the deep fried Spam!

What would the fair be without a few people watching photos?  I cannot take credit for this, my brother was the official fair photographer.

I admit that this lady has a better body than I do.  But she didn't win this award on her figure.  Her keen sense of fashion wins this award.  The perfect State Fair outfit is skin tight jeans, a half shirt to show off the midriff, a fanny pack and a trucker cap to complete the look.  I know there is a hot seat in hell for me.




The Doctor
My dismal performance during the milk run as well as getting winded walking up a flight of stairs prompted me to get my butt back to the doctor. I am glad I did because I STILL have my double ear/sinus infection. The doctor told me that the breathing issues I experienced were a side effect from the infection my body was fighting. She prescribed more antibiotics, nasal spray, an inhaler, and some rest. I am starting to feel better about my health but worse about my race.

I have a month until my race and I have not had a decent run in over 2 weeks!!! My mantra is “just finish”. I don’t care about time. I don’t care if I have to crawl, I will finish this race. With that said I have a lot of work do to between now and October 3rd. This is where my mental training is going to be especially important.

Florida
I am leaving for Florida tomorrow! Wooo Hooo! I only have 4581241654 things to before I leave.


ADIOS AMIGOS!  See you in a week!  My pool lounger is calling me.

29 comments:

Jamoosh said...

What ho - no roasted corn at the fair? Disappointment indeed!

Enjoy Florida!

Julie said...

This was great Carly! I am most likely going this weekend! That strawberry scone looks amazing:)

The Minnesota State Fair is the best palce to people watch!

RockStarTri said...

Deep fried Mac and Cheese on a stick? what kind of stick? I'd probably want a 2x4.

teacherwoman said...

I had a friend who was doing the Milk Run too. The fair sounds like fun! Have a great time in FL!

Lisa said...

Have fun on vacation!

Teamarcia said...

Seriously? that's a woman??
have a great time in FLA!

Diana said...

Bummer about the deep fried SPAM.....we had the mac and cheese on a stick too! I didn't try it, just didn't sound right! Like SPAM does?!
Enjoy the vacation-let those lungs and airways heal for you next run!!

The Turtle said...

Those cheese curds look awesome. Congrats on finishing the run.

FruitFly said...

I must admit there is a lot of food listed there that I didn't even know existed! And I LOVE the people watching at the fair. It makes a fair day completely worth while.... and for the record, I totally thought picture was of a dude with long hair!

FruitFly said...

Enjoy Florida! Tell it Ronda says Hello! ºoº

TNTcoach Ken said...

I know you two overtook the lady in front of U????

Tish said...

Sorry your race was so hard, surely it was because you were still sick. But, I'm glad you got to spend time with Sarge (heck, I wanna spend time with Sarge--everybody's idea of a great buddy). Yep, a veritable smorgasbord, like I thought. Have fun in FLORIDA!

Jess said...

That is a fine fair menu! I miss cheese curds and we didn't have a chance to get ot eh fair while we were in MN.

Carly said...

Those fair pics make me want to eat! Hope you're having a great trip in FL! And I tagged you for an award on my blog.

lindsay said...

No funnel cake?!!?! Those are my favorite. Hope you are having a great time in FL!

Megsie said...

I hope you are healthy soon! Geez. We haven't been to the fair yet. Have fun in Florida!

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

I had a similar experience recently, and someone told me that "Those hard miles in training are the most valuable deposits in the bank to cash out on race day"
so I take that with me on my race day - same as yours Oct 3, ENJOY VACA!!!!

Staci Dombroski said...

Love the pictures ;) Have a great week!

The Devil's Starchy Fingers said...

A good friend of mine is from Minnesota and he raves about the fair and the fine, fine food. Your list of foods made me jealous: Tater Tot Hot Dish on a stick!, strawberry scone with cream cheese! Deep fried pickles! nom, nom, nom.

The Devil's Starchy Fingers said...

A good friend of mine is from Minnesota and he raves about the fair and the fine, fine food. Your list of foods made me jealous: Tater Tot Hot Dish on a stick!, strawberry scone with cream cheese! Deep fried pickles! nom, nom, nom.

Megan said...

What kind of place do you live in that they don't serve been until noon?!

Now I want a strawberry scone. :)
I wish I could see that chick's photo a little bigger. I can't get the full picture of her awesome outfit.

zbsports said...

This is a good recap, thanks for sharing it. I love the pictures so cool, it capture every moment of the run. Nice!!!

Anonymous said...

The cheese woulԁ bе melted and bubbly, but moѕt populaг of all
the tоppіngs ωould not be burnt.
Geneгаting рizzа iѕ ρleasurable, not that demanding,
and a wonԁегfully creatіνe waу to
impress соllеagueѕ anԁ frіends and family with уοur cooking
sκillsets - furtheгmore mаke tasty fоods that plеase ԁon't crack the budget. Commence 11 miles, and look at rigorously for the sign to Laupahoehoe Issue Seashore Park on the correct.
Review my site http://www.sjbb.org/story.php?title=the-benefits-of-applying-a-pizza-stone

Anonymous said...

It rеаllу is а сhеf's phrase for 'a
posіtion for all the things and аll
sorts of things in its ρlace'. Masonry heaters consist of a little fire box created to ratio with the smoke chamber previously mentioned. They have lived life akin to that of great saints, sages and Rishis who have been recognized for their penance and austerities.

Feel free to visit my homepage - old stone oven

Anonymous said...

Everyone loves what you guys are up too. This sort of clever work and coverage!
Keep up the very good works guys I've included you guys to my personal blogroll.

Also visit my web page ... national bathroom remodel month

Anonymous said...

Wow, superb weblog ѕtгucture! Hoω lоng havе you ever bеen running а blog foг?
you made running a blog glanсe easy. The entire glance
of youг site is wondeгful, lеt аlone
the cоntent!

My blog ... Augen Lasern
My web page - visit this website link - adolph9wax.Blog.com

Anonymous said...

Cool blog! Is yοuг theme сuѕtom made or
ԁid you ԁownload іt frоm sоmewheгe?

A dеsіgn likе yours with a
feω simρle aԁjustementѕ
would rеаlly make my blog stanԁ out.
Pleaѕe let me κnow ωherе you got your design.
Τhanκ уou

Feel fгee to visit my blоg poѕt ... Chemietoilette

Anonymous said...

Youг mеthoԁ of tellіng еverything in this рost iѕ rеаlly nice, all be
ablе to eaѕіly knοw it, Thanks a lоt.


Feel frеe tо surf to my sіte - augen lasern
My page :: Augen Lasern

Anonymous said...

Keeρ thіs gоing рlease, grеat ϳоb!


Hеre is my blog ρоst :: Chemietoilette