Thursday, August 5, 2010

Three Things Thursday

1.  Today is my oldest son's 8th birthday.  I know you are probably wondering how I could possibly have an eight year old child when I look so young.   I get it all the time.  We are celebrating the whole day.  Instead of having a party, he wanted to spend the day at Valleyfair.  I am excited to take him because he has never been to to a place with "wild rides".  I am also taking one of his buddies.  It should be interesting with 2 crazy boys and me who is terrified of heights and roller coasters.    I do hope to come home with a pair of shorts like these:
This is my friend Riana's rear end.  She really owns these shorts.  She saw my 4th of July recap and admitted that she had the same shorts as this lady.  She said she got them from the water park at Valleyfair.  So now I must find them!!!!


2.  Thank you for all the kind words and all the responses regarding my two questions yesterday.  I got some great ideas.  If you have been reading this blog for any amount of time you will know that:
  1. I am a terrible planner
  2. I set crazy goals (like doing a couch to marathon) and get completely out of sorts when I have a set back.

Aron from Runner's Rambles gave me this tidbit:
"i think with marathon training its important to look ahead and not back. don't try to "make up" things you missed, just move forward and adjust as necessary."

This is one thing is going to be the thing to help me get through my training.   "Just move forward....".   I have a tendency to get frustrated with failures and either quit or start over (as you may remember I dropped out of this race last year for the same reason....I never learn).  I am not quitting.  I have adjusted my goals for these races coming up and I have my runs on the calendar.

My goal is just to cross the finish line before they close the course.  There will be other races to work towards improving my time. 

3.  I got back up on the horse yesterday and ran.  The schedule said to run seven but because of my craptastic running streak, I was just going to do what I could and it was only 3 miles.  It was a great 3 miles.  I think 3 great miles are way better than 7 crappy ones. 
 

16 comments:

Charbelle said...

I agree you just have to keep moving forward, easier said than done :)
Have fun at the park today!!

bobbi said...

Happy birthday to your little man! My very first rollercoaster ride was at VallyFair - the Corkscrew...not sure if it even exists anymore...

MCM Mama said...

Happy birthday to your big kid! Mine turns 9 soon. What can I say, I was a child bride. ;o)

If you get those shorts, I expect a picture of your a$$ on the blog. Just sayin'

Megsie said...

I am so happy that you are confident again! Three miles to replace that is way way worth it! Have fun at Valley Fair, and I want to see you in those shorts!

Tish said...

Good for you for going on with your running. The more often you run, the more you run, the easier it will get. Good luck with the rest of birthday week.

RockStarTri said...

A great three miles is waaaay better than a lot of things.

Michele said...

Have fun at Valleyfair today! Should be beautiful and not too hot! Your blog inspires me. I am going to try my first run/walk 5K on September 12. I think I can do the walk part and will “train” to make sure I can. It will be a good start to do a little run along with the walk. Thanks for your comments on my blog.
Michele
http://ruminationsasiuncoverthewomanwithin.blogspot.com/

Brandi said...

Love Valley Fair! Haven't been there since I was 13!
I'm totally in the same spot as you as far as training. Really questioning where to go from here. Really appreciated your post today and the "Just move forward" comment. Awesome job on the three miles!

Emz said...

I NEED those shorts.

Awesome.

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

Happy birthday to your son! I hope you have a great day and find those shorts!

aron said...

good job - no quitting just keep at it! you will get there this year :)

Aka Alice said...

All I'm sayin' is that if you get those shorts, we demand a photo!

Can you buy them online or do you have to go to the water park to get them?

Diana said...

Happy Birthday to your son!
Love the shorts!
I have to agree with the great advice to just keep moving forward, I will have to remember that when it's my turn!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Three great miles are better than 7 crappy???? Is that like fifty is the new thirty?????? ha, get back on that horse for a 'Wild Ride'....

lindsay said...

great advice from aron. she is the coolest. i forgot that tip because ohh yeah i tend to try to "catch up" on allll the miles i miss. it doesn't ever go over as well in real life as it does in my mind. so yeah, good advice.

hot shorts. i sure hope you find a pair!

Megan said...

Too funny. I won't wear shirts with thing written on the chest b/c people comment on it. Can't imagine if you have something written on you booty.