Thursday, August 26, 2010

Three Things Thursday

1.  I bombed my run yesterday.  I don't know what I was thinking setting out to try and do 12 miles.  The meds clearly went to my head.  To quote Jillian Michaels, I was "gargling my heart" after only 5 minutes of running.  When my face started to pulsate, I took that as a sign to stop.  I ended up "Ralking" (run/walk) 3.5 miles.  I am going to let this current sinus infection be a lesson to use that damned Neti Pot since this is such a reoccurring problem.

2.  Because I am a complete attention whore, please go here.  I am this week's featured "Follow this Mother" at Run Like a Mother.  I know I have mentioned it before, but I LOVED the book.  It is a very entertaining read for any woman that loves to run.  Their blog is great too.  They always have great posts with tips, stories, and give-a-aways.

This is the only photo that I could scramble to take.  I am usually behind the camera so Chubby Hubby had to take one for the interview.  We kind of look like a group of Hillbillies.  Please excuse my little Diva's very ladylike pose, she is as dainty as I am.  Also, I really can afford a hair cut for oldest son.  He is adamant on growing it out.  Damn you Zach and Cody!!!

3.  Today is the first day of the Minnesota State Fair.  I know to some people, a state fair is just a dirty place, with crowds, carnies, and cows.  It is an annual event that our family looks forward to all year long.  We usually go at LEAST once.  In fact, I purchased admission tickets, ride passes, and a discount coupon book.  We are already planning our fair feasting starting with Cheese Curds.  It is an awesome way to say good-bye to Summer.

This year I have added an event to the regular line up.  I am running the Milk Run which winds through the fairground and the St. Paul University of Minnesota Campus.  Sarge is home and will be running with me.  For those of you that don't know, Sarge is my partner in crime at work and running buddy.  She is currently on active duty and will be home from Iraq just for the fair.  I am really looking forward to this weekend's events.  Since I am doing the run, that will make all the grease I eat guilt free, right?

26 comments:

Jamoosh said...

State Fair Rules! Especially the roasted corn - yum!

WannabeRunner said...

I tend to think that food at the fair doesn't "count". ;)

Have fun!!

Neeks said...

Sounds like a great Fair!! Have fun and good luck with your run :)

bobbi said...

mmmmm....fair food! have a great time!

(and you are FAMOUS!! RLAM rules!)

Emz said...

Love the photo.

AND

Loving the "Ralking" - fabulous term. ;)

misszippy said...

Yay for you for being their featured mom! And it's a great pic.

Jess said...

The MN state fair is the best stae fair in the country! Awesome, awesome times. Eat some cheese curds for me.

Lisa said...

neat interview :-)

FruitFly said...

I think it's cool you go to the State fair! I myself have never been to one ... but next weekend I will finally get my very first visit to the Oregon State Fair and I can't wait!
You go on with your attention whore self - you deserve it!

lindsay said...

the commentary on that photo is priceless. at least diva is wearing shorts? i didn't learn how to sit like a lady until... well i think i still don't know. haha.

as long as you have a funnel cake, none of the fair food counts.

Heather said...

We are headed to the fair tomorrow - I haven't been since before Sophie was born, so excited! Have a great weekend, and a great run. :)

teacherwoman said...

I have lived in ND all my life and have YET to go to the MN State Fair. I hear good things, tho!

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
I think you need to take pictures and do a post on all of the interesting things that you can find at the fair! We have one of the best fairs in the nation...serious:) Example...wild ride shorts, food, rides and ect:)

When you go...look for my college boy....he is working at Andy's Grille:) Make sure to walk by at the top of the hour because all of the workers sing and dance!

Aka Alice said...

Can't wait for your "fair report" I wait for it all year!

:-))

Loved the interview

Megsie said...

I am hoping you are feeling better. Double ear infection AND a sinus infection? UGH. I love the fair, and I hate the fair. We usually go once, and we go really early. We have been staying for longer and longer days as the kids get bigger. We haven't planned when we are going yet, but maybe we'll see each other again!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

wohooo on being featured!!!!

i think you did the right thing capping the run, your body needed the time...the next one you'll be fully refreshed!

Ann said...

Have fun at fair!! Cheese curds, I haven't had those in years!

Ann said...

Have fun at fair!! Cheese curds, I haven't had those in years!

Tish said...

Hope you're all better now and enjoying the fair. I always associate fairs with the rat's song from Charlotte's Web. "The fair is a ver-i-table- smorgasbord, smorgasbord, smorgasbord . . ." Have fun!

Cathy said...

Ralking - I knew there was a name for it - just didn't know what it was!

The State Fair sounds like a great time! Eat well & have fun!

Diana said...

I heard that your MN state fair has deep fried SPAM!! I envy you over there if this is true!!

wendy_kresha@charter.net said...

Have fun at the fair!

FruitFly said...

**Check my blog - you just got an award!! :-)

Kayla said...

I was just in MN but didn't have time to make it to the fair which made me sad! Hope you had a great time!

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

hope the fair was fun, CAN'T believe I have not been here in weeks, I've MISSED so much!!!! Great job on your training, ya win some, ya lose some...the main point..you're doing it!

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

oh yes, I will no longer say I have done a run/walk but rather a ralking... you always coin such fabulous terms!