Monday, August 16, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up-Death of an iPod

I have hit the part of my training schedule that makes me shake in my boots every time I see the latest mileage.  This past weekend's long run was 16 mile.   SIXTEEN MILES!  That is more than half way there and only ten fewer miles than the full marathon.

I set out to do it Saturday.  I got up, geared up, and had some oatmeal.  Something just didn't feel right.  Rather than heading out, I grabbed a cup of coffee and postponed the run.  I went about my day, I shopped from Diva's birthday and helped my in laws with a graduation party.  The feeling from earlier got worse.  I later realize that I was have some sort of anxiety attack.   I decided to go bed as I was not being productive.  I was in bed before the kids at 7:45.

The sleep worked and whatever I was fretting about disappeared.  I got up, geared up, and had a light breakfast.  This time I hit the bricks with a mapped out run and 16 miles on the brain.  I left my phone and I didn't bring cab fare.  I was going to get home using only my two feet. 

It wasn't hard to be outside.  The hell-like temps and humidity from the previous week were gone.  It was a PERFECT day for a long run.  Sunny and breezy with temps in the 70's.  It felt like a Fall day.  That didn't bother me one bit as it was nice to be out there.  

I ran and I ran and I ran.  I ran some hills, I walked some hills (I had no clue Minneapolis could be so hilly!!).  I felt great.  UNTIL...(cue evil foreshadowing music)  I dropped and killed Chubby Hubby's iPod. 

Bus 1, iPod 0
I was almost on to the homestretch and hitting mile 12.  I was running on a sidewalk and a biker who evidently couldn't see that there was a bike lane came up behind me and just about clipped me.  When I jumped out of the way, I knocked my iPod holder off and the iPod flew into the street.  I ran to get it and just as I was going to grab it a bus was turning.  The bus was missing it and I was jumping for joy...until the back wheels crushed the thing.
SONOFAB*%#@%!!
SONOFAB*%#@%!!
SONOFAB*%#@%!!
 
I watched in slow motion as a bus hit his iPod.  His parting words to me that morning were "Don't lose my iPod".  I felt horrible because I know how much he uses it.  I picked up the carcass and shoved it in to my water bag and continued my run home.   All the way home I thought of ways to gently tell him I killed his iPod. He was never going to believe that a bus ran over it.  I think this kind of stuff only happens to me.

I got home and was greeted by a smiley Chubby Hubby.  He asked about my run and said "I brought you some pancakes".  **GULP** I responed "I killed your iPod".  The smile quickly faded.  After a couple "I told you sos" and "Why didn't you use your own damned Shuffle" comments.  He was fine.  However, he did proclaim that this incident would lift the ban on a HD TV in this house (we have 2 older TVs that work just fine but they are older than dirt).  *SIGH*  Although we cannot enjoy listening to Barbie Girl on his Nano anymore, It is safely backed up on our computer and external hard drive.
 
I did finish the 16 mile run in 3:30 minutes.  I felt great despite the iPod mishap.   I was a great confidence booster to run more than half of the race.

Yesterday, Diva turned 3 years old.  I know I say this all the time, but I am amazed at how fast time flies.  We had our friends come over for dinner and had even more cake.  The hot gift this year was anything Dora.  She is a Dora fanatic.  She kept reminding me that it was also Dora's birthday yesterday.  So on the night of her 3rd birthday, she threw away her Nuk (don't judge me, yes...she had a nuk until she was 3), and went to bed with her new Dora doll.  This event marks the end of birthday mania in our house.  It is now time to burn off all the cake!
Diva with her birthday loot.  She was not having any part of me combing her hair for photos.   

 
 


21 comments:

Lisa said...

Honestly, you should be happy that the near miss with the cyclist didn't end up with YOU being flattened by the bus. Ipods are replaceable...

Good job on your long run!

Charbelle said...

I agree wholeheartedly with Lisa about the cyclist clipping you!! Sounds like an absolutely wonderful run!! I'm ready for those temps down here!!!
Diva is adorable!!!

Heather said...

Nice job on your long run!

Sophie still has her nuk and she turns 3 in October. I am such a sucker because she doesn't use it at daycare at all, just at home. Oh well.

Becka said...

Great job on the 16 miles! Sorry to hear about the iPod. I've been through my share of them.

James said...

Good job on the run but sorry to hear about the ipod, and yeah, be glad you weren't taken out by the biker.

suzy@countdownto26.2 said...

It's always sad to see an ipod die. Once mine turned on and a little sad face came on with X's for eyes. I morned for days. Plus side for you = new HDTV! Awesome mileage! That's double what I did this weekend! WoW!

Delane said...

Great Job, great mileage sorry about the iPod. They are replaceable and at least you have it backed up.

Nobel4Lit said...

Hope the Hubby doesn't take too much advantage of the free electronics pass.

Glad you're ok, though!

WannabeRunner said...

Oh Lord...did you have to kinda laugh at the bus running over the iPod? And way to go on the 16 miles!!!

Emz said...

bummer on the ipod. I'm with Lisa - with as many crazy drivers/bikers as there are out there texting while driving/biking [yes, I saw three over the weekend].....just happy YOU are ok!!

FruitFly said...

Technically you didn't LOSE the iPod. Did he ever say "hey, don't let a biker clip you and cause the iPod to land in the path of an oncoming bus and get run over" ?? No - I didn't think so! He needs to be more specific next time! ;-)

Amazing run! Seriously. Right now the thought of going 6.2 miles is scaring me. I can't imagine ever doing 16! I bow down to you!

Tish said...

Great run, Carly, you're awesome. And I think you were smart to listen to your body and put the run off until the next day. It makes me think that maybe I can do a long run some day too. I completely hear you about running in decent weather compared to the hot awful mugginess we've had this summer. Makes all the difference. What a shame about the ipod. Is it covered on your insurance? It's good you have the songs backed up. Happy B-day to Diva. She's a cutie. My little g-baby E still uses her paci during naps and at night--she'll be 3 in Oct and shows absolutely no sign of ever giving it up. won't her husband be surprised!

RockStarTri said...

My ipod looks just like that one. It still plays but I can't pick the song.

Good thing that was the only downside.

Diana said...

Nice job Carly! 16 miles, that is awesome! I'm so jealous.....I have so much work to do!
"I picked up the carcass".....I know it's not funny, but it did make me chuckle the way your worded it!!

lindsay said...

LOL. he seems to be ok, just let him get his fancy new TV. boys and their "needs". glad you didn't think to jump out under the bus!

Megsie said...

Oh, BUMMER about the ipod. But, YAY about the run! SIXTEEN MILES? That is amazing! I am so in awe of you...I am not worthy...

Al's CL Reviews said...

Yay on the 16 miles and DIva turning 3. Glad the iPod was the one that got crushed and not you!

Ann said...

That sucks about the ipod but great job on the 16 miles!

PS Diva is adorable!

Donna said...

Oh my goodnesss! I could feel your pain. Seriously. I hate when I borrow Hub's toys and then a) I lose/misplace them, or b) I break something!

Nice mileage! Glad to have found your blog. I start training for my first full marathon after my first half-iron in September!

Run To Radiance said...

LOL I could see myself losing an ipod that way too with my luck. GREAT job on 16 miles!!!! How many people can say they can do that? :)

teacherwoman said...

Sorry about the bad luck with the iPod. I mean, what are the chances?!

Great job with the run and getting in the 16 miles. I know that Sunday morning was a heckuvah lot nicer than the few days before!