Sunday, August 8, 2010

Weekend-Wrap Up-DONE!

I did it!!!  I finished the Urban Wildland Half Marathon.  Official time 2:38:57.

Race reflections and tidbits:
  • The race FELT longer than 13.1 miles.  I felt that way, a few friends felt that way, and my Garmin felt that way (saying I ran 14.75 miles).
  • I am still wondering how my Garmin can be almost right on the nose with calculating the mileage of all the other runs I do, but be so far off on this race??  (I always double check the route prior to hitting the bricks).
  • I ran the whole way except through the water stops.  This is a first for me....I usually fall apart towards the end of a race.
  • This race was a nice mix of trails and road and it ran right outside of my house.
  • I got greeted by my family at mile 7.5.  My family cheered me on in the rain and my boys made a sign for me.
  • This race was not a personal best nor a personal worst as far as time goes, but this is one race that I felt great from start to finish.
  • There were a group of 3 girls that insisted on running 3 across even when the trail was very narrow.  They would run/walk and they would pass me, block the trail, I would pass them, and then they would ride my ass.  It was a vicious cycle for a few miles and I almost let the irritation get the best of me but then I left them in my dust.  ha!
  • This was a race with green initiatives.  I loved that the swag bag was reusable shopping bag with NO fliers or any sort of paper.  The cups at the water stops were all compostable.  The bibs were embedded with Black-eyed Susan seeds so you could plant them.
  • The bibs were a joke. People were losing them at mile #2 because card stock is no match for a sweaty runner.  I think our hood is going to be blooming next spring because I saw a lot of bibs flying around.
  • I was a bit irritated that we didn't get medals at the finish.  The website indicated that finisher medals would be in line with their green agenda by using a renewable wood source.  I guess they took the greener approach and didn't give any out. 
  • It started raining half way through and it was HEAVEN.  If the sun had been out, I would have dropped from the heat.
  • This race was a great way to get me to the half way hump of marathon training.
After the race, I headed home to finish getting ready for the kids' birthday party.  Since all of my kids have birthdays within 12 days of each other, it makes sense to do one big family party.  I got home at 10AM and my guests started coming at 1PM.  I didn't have any time to rest and by 8PM I was a complete pile.  The crazy week came to a head yesterday and today I am totally crashed out.  I am going to veg as much as I can before the work week starts again. 

33 comments:

Lisa said...

congrats - must be a huge confidence booster

Lori said...

Hooray hooray! Congrats on the race! And how cool that it was green :D

RockStarTri said...

Well done. Overall, a huge success!

Aka Alice said...

Sometimes my Garmin goes a little wacky when I'm running in a downtown area...something about the signal bouncing off the buildings (or the glass or something like that). But wow...more than a mile over? That's a LOT!

Congrats on finishing the race and feeling good about it. Sometimes thats better than a PR in my book!

Charbelle said...

YAY!!!! congratulations it went so well!!!! That's wonderful!!! Glad the family birthday's have been enjoyed and you can now recover!!

ajh said...

It's great to feel good for a whole half marathon! Congrats! Too bad about the medal.

Casey said...

way to go! love the race report! :) that's a good idea about the bibs, but yeah--card stock probably is a poor choice!

Tish said...

Gosh, I'm so proud of you, you'd think I was your Mom! A successful half AND a birthday party. Way to Go!

Megsie said...

I am so glad that you had such a great run!! Woot! And I am also happy for you that Birthday week is over!

MCM Mama said...

You did great and it sound like you had a wonderful time! Awesome!

Monica said...

Great job! Very impressive time and the fact that you ran the whole thing. I so agree with you that running in rain and shade is SO MUCH BETTER! Woo Hoo for YOU!!!!

Heather said...

Congrats, great job on the race!

Julie said...

Awesome job Carly! Great race report:)

Claire said...

Good for you!!!!

All the birthdays within 12 days of each other? You guys must really like the time of year 9 months prior eh?

Meg said...

Your weekend sounded like mine, racing and more FUN! I laughed about the paper bibs, hmm...did they even think about that? I love it when you said you felt great throughout the whole race. I LOVE it when that happens!

Diana said...

Congratulations Carly on a great race! This was probably a nice "distraction" from all the birthday parties going on in your house!

Jamoosh said...

Good show. You are a much better person than I - after a few times blocking the path I would have stepped on one of their achilles.

Dawn said...

great job leaving the 3-some in the dust!
I want a good feeling half too, way to go! :)

Jessica said...

You are awesome! Congrats on your Half! I can't wait until I can get there too :)

GISrunner said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful that you had a great experience (and that the b-day celebrations were a success, too)

Megan said...

Congrats! I love when it rains during races. Makes the day a little better.

My first HM my garmin was off by .5mi too. It never acts up for long.

lindsay said...

congrats!! a card stock bib number? weird. but glad you had a good race!

Cathy said...

Good for you! I love when the race course is not just roads!

Did you wear the "Wild Ride" shorts? Could be those 3 gals wanted to ask you about them - that's why they stayed so close! :-)

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

Congratulations to you!! I'm so impressed. Wow!

Julianne said...

Congrats on your half finish!! Omg I would totally welcome the rain half way through a half marathon, toooooo!

Shasta L. said...

I've been reading your blog for awhile now, and I've been looking forward to your half marathon, and WOW! Great job! Congratulations - and P.S. the fact that you could do that amidst all these birthdays is truly inspiring!

FruitFly said...

Okay - I totally would have been tempted to just park it if I passed my own house. Kudos to you on continuing and finishing!

Bummer about the medal. :(

Al's CL Reviews said...

Awesome!!!!

WannabeRunner said...

EXCELLENT job!!!

Donna said...

Great job. Loved your race report! Glad to find your blog!

Delane said...

Congrats!

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I'm new to your blog and following! Congratulations on the race! Awesome job!

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

What a great time! Excellent run, I too am doing a half the morning before I have a house full of guests for my sons party, figured, it will keep me moving, plus I can eat!! he! he!