Tuesday, September 14, 2010

5 Minutes of Hope

Thank you for all the encouraging words regarding my last post.  I was really in a bad place when I wrote it.  It is frustrating when you work hard for something and you watch your goals go up in smoke.  Sometimes life gets in the way and things just do not go as planned.  When I put this issue into perspective it really is not a life shattering event. 

After reading your comments about the possibility of my issues being related to Anemia.  It is probably a huge part of it.  Last year I suffered from iron deficiency and I worked hard at getting my numbers back up to a normal range.   I should have have recognized the warning symptoms because I suffered a long time with it.  I just chalked it up to something else being the cause.  So long story short.....I am back on iron supplementation and I will go get my blood tested.

I was determined to cure all my problems today so I marched into the CVS on campus, accosted the Pharmacist and made her give me the strongest over the counter medicine in the store to help me.  After I gave my driver's license, fingerprints, and a DNA sample(because I might mix up a batch of meth)....I walked out of there with Zyrtec-D.  I popped one before I even got to the front of the store.  About an hour later, a miracle occurred.....I COULD HEAR!!!!  My ears popped and my head started to unclog.  I almost felt NORMAL.
Just before I set out for my run, I took a few puffs off the inhaler.  God help me if they do a drug test, I will be screwed.  Ha!  I hit the bricks and I felt great.  I ran for 10 minutes straight(and could have done more).  That is when I decided that I was going to try doing these runs as intervals.  I decided 5 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking seemed doable.  I did 2.5 miles and finished strong.  I wasn't gasping for air and my legs felt much lighter.  My legs were a bit stiff but that is not much of a concern for me.....I just care about being able to breathe.  

Anyway, that is going to be my plan of attack for this race.  I am going to do it.  I am going to keep focused on the intervals I have set up and I am going to give it my best shot.  I do not care about time, my only goal is to cross the finish line.  If I take a turn for the worse, I have accepted that possibility that I may have to drop out.  But I have my eye on the race bling.  We will see...a lot can happen in 19 days (***screaming 19 days!?!??!****).  Tonight's run gave me a little glimmer of hope.

17 comments:

bobbi said...

yay for relief!!! I am so glad you are on the mend!

Charbelle said...

Yay!!! So glad you are feeling better!!

Lisa said...

That's great news!

Carly said...

Glad to hear that you're feeling a bit better. I think I'm coming down with something myself, so I feel your pain.

misszippy said...

That's great you could turn things around and feel good like that! Keep it up!

GISrunner said...

How wonderful to read this post! So glad you're doing better!

teacherwoman said...

I LOVE Zyrtec-D...it's the one thing that AUTOMATICALLY makes me feel better! Glad you are on the road to recovery!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Hope you are on to recovery.
I did 9 and 1 intervals on my half. I swore the method was stupid until I tried it. Now I love it.

Vee said...

soooo happy for you! yay carly! Vee at http://veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

TNTcoach Ken said...

Performance Enhancing Drugs..... Why didn't I think of that?????? Ha

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

Glad you are feeling better! I did a 6 miler for my 1/2 as I taper down, and I realized today that I tackle all my runs and races as intervals but instead of slowing to walk, I just slow down the pace...which could be considered a Tempo run but I have no idea what the correct terminology is. Nevertheless, you can cover a great distance at a good solid pace.

cathy said...

Carly, I hope to be on the side lines cheering you on, girl!

kristi said...

Isn't it crazy what you have to go thru to get meds nowadays??

kristi said...

Isn't it crazy what you have to go thru to get meds nowadays??

sTyliSH1 said...

Wahoo to being able to breathe! lol! You'll do great just don't over do it these first few days of feeling good and keep your eye on the prize!

DaphneB said...

Good to hear you are on the road to recovery!!

wendy_kresha@charter.net said...

It's been kind of funny to watch each of us MN running bloggers struggle with this TC marathon! It is awesome that you are sticking with your plan and going to still do the marathon. I just can't. My achilles tendon just won't let me run very far right now. I was bummed at first, but am ok with it now. I can't wait to hear all of the race reports and see how all of you do!