Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Three Things Thursday....A Day Early

1.  School is in full swing.  We have started our 3rd week.  I am finding my groove with the work/kid schedule but I am having a hard time finding my workout mojo.  After a long day of work and shuffling kids to their various activities, the last thing I want to do is put on my workout clothes.  At this point, late evening is the only option I have to get some exercise.  I just need to butch up and do it.  At least I can justify my recent slacking and call it a taper....right?

2.  With the school year starting, so does the drama.  Our school board will be adjusting elementary school boundaries due to enrollment shifts and disparities in the community.   They are also proposing some pretty dramatic changes to the open enrollment/transfer student policies.  Without going into too much detail, every single person in the district is going to be affected.  I understand the need for the shift in the boundaries, but I am angry that it is going to potentially tear our school apart and send families in several directions.  Our school is unique.  It is not a neighborhood school...it is a magnet community school.  The school board is proposing that there should be a partial attendance area for our school and will be severely limit the options that parents have.  This topic has been weighing on all of our hearts and minds heavily for the past couple of weeks.  I have gone to the meetings, I have written my letters.  All we can do now is hope for the best.  Nobody tells you about these things when you have kids.

3.  Oh boy.  This marathon is coming up quick!  A week from today, my friend will be flying into Minneapolis for the race.  Around town, there are already signs for the marathon road closures.  The leaves on the trees are starting to morph from green to the beautiful shades of Fall....this race showcases how beautiful the Twin Cities really is.  I got my confirmation packet in the mail.  I am EXCITED!  I still have a healthly fear in me, but I am excited for the experience.  Ready or not, it will be here soon!!!!

16 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
I feel like we are also getting into the groove with our new fall routines:) I will be cheering you on marathon day! I can't wait to watch both the 10 mile and marathon! Hope your week is going great!

Lisa said...

I'm glad the title of the post acknowledged that it was a day early, my first thought was "it's thursday already? man the week has flown by"

d'oh. only wednesday. shucks.

Do you have another long run this weekend? 3 weeks til M day!

Heather said...

I can't believe how fast the marathon is coming, I am so excited! I have looked at the course map evertime I've been stuck in court this week. :)

Middle Name Marie said...

Good luck with marathon--they are all coming so soon!

Vee said...

I hope you get a chance to take pix during the race, or right before/after.

About the school problems... SO glad I homeschool. I remember bussing started when I was a kid ... and we all hated it.

Vee at http://veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

Tish said...

Hey Carly. I totally sympathize with you trying to fit your workouts into a busy working mom schedule. Good thing you're young (!) And I hate the awful school politics things that produce so much anxiety for kids, parents, teachers and the whole community. I hope things turn out okay for you. Now get in your last runs like you should--you've got a race coming right up!

wendy_kresha@charter.net said...

I got my packet in the mail this week, too. Bittersweet : (

Mimi said...

Oh Carly I went through that last year at Soph's school. In the end it all turned out all right and the schools involved in the change are all stronger because of it. But last year was terrible as everything was getting worked out and resentments were discovered on all sides. Our neighborhood is just now healing from all of it.

In the summer when we have no schedule I fond that I don't work out much. Once the school year starts I get back on plan.

aron said...

ahhhh its coming up quick! you are going to do great :)

FruitFly said...

You got your race packet! That's so exciting!! Its like it is all really real now - and coming up so freaking fast. Best of luck to you, sounds like you'll have a beautiful course to run!
~RR

Diana said...

It's coming up quick-I'm very excited for you-you're going to do great!
Can't wait to read all about it!

Aka Alice said...

I can relate. When school started, my workout/running schedule flew out the window. I'm just doing the minimum so that I can run a 1/2 marathon in 23 days.

So sorry to hear about the upheaval in your district. That just sucks.

Megsie said...

It was so nice to see you tonight! Hope your blood pressure has returned to normal. Mine is still up. I want to write a letter but I don't know where to start. UGH.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

one week holy cow that doesn't seem possible, glad you are getting excited that's the best way to enjoy a race!

school boards, oye my mom works in the district and man the internal politics blow my mind

Running Librarian said...

I am having the same issues balancing working out and back to school..This weekend I am starting full force again and hoping that the workout bug returns. (I have high hopes that it will be fine)

Megan said...

I know what you mean. It's tough juggling it all.