Monday, September 20, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up, Wooo Hooo!

I had to throw a Wooo Hoo out there because.....

I RAN 10 MILES!!!!  Throw confetti and cue angels singing because I am celebrating.

You do not even know how happy this chubby chick is that I was able to hit double digits this past weekend.  This road to recovery has sucked and I have barely managed 2 miles.  This run gave me a bit more confidence that I still could conquer this marathon.  I really should disclose that I didn't run the whole time.  In fact, I did a 5/5 ratio.  It worked and I felt great.  I probably could cut down the walking interval to 3 minutes but I am going to stick with what works.  Funny thing is...I completed this 10 miler WAY faster than the 10 miler I ran.  Ha!

There was however one little buzz kill....my oldest son asked how far I ran.  I told him 10 miles.  He said "Wow....you only have 16 more to do on top of that."  Who taught him math?  I really didn't like how he put that. 

Now that the race is less than 2 weeks away I have been having some crazy anxiety dreams about missing the race, or showing up late, or just having frozen legs.  I think that is normal but with the deck stacked against me I am having a bit more anxiety than I usually do.  I keep having to remind myself that there is nothing to stress about.  It is just a race.  If I do bad or God forbid, get picked up by the sweep bus, there will always be another race.  I am being realistic that this race will probably not be a PR.  My only goal is to get to my hard earned medal in 6 hours (or less).  Run, walk, or crawl...I will get it.  

I have a lot of blog reading to catch up on.  I have a lot of blog writing to catch up on.

26 comments:

Delane said...

You can do it!!!! So sayeth the girl who did a half with a long run of four miles under her belt.

Lisa said...

You have a strategy and a decent run under your belt. Good stuff.

Mike Russell said...

Carly, you will do great! Focus, focus, focus. Only two weeks to go!

MCM Mama said...

You can totally do this! Sounds like you've got your strategy in place. Now try to relax and get in some good quality shorter runs during taper.

bobbi said...

10 miles!!! YAY!! You have the will to do this - you CAN!

MizFit said...

***tosses some confetti up in herre too***

christina said...

You can rock this - just take it a few miles at a time. Im running my first half marathon in 3 weeks... Im massively stressed too but will take it one step, one mile at a time!

Cant wait to hear about it - take lots of pics!

Diana said...

woot-woot! You'll do great, I can't wait to read all about it!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Ah yes, math! Hey at least he didn't say something like you're not even half way! Oh sorry......... Just do it as Nike would say..... You have a whole two weeks.

Teamarcia said...

the bad dreams are a good omen...at least that's what my mom says. All will be great! No stress!

Jamoosh said...

Woo hoo for 10 miles! Now, positive thinking will get you through your upcoming race - you are going to do it.

Tammy said...

Yay, Carly!

I just ran a Half with zero training, and I'm running Chicago Marathon in 3 weeks. It's somehow reassuring to know that I'm not the only one attempting this.

That said, best wishes for your marathon, I know you'll finish in far less than 6 hours!

GISrunner said...

Oh, Carly, I am SO FRICKIN' HAPPY for you! Love this post!

Vee said...

But you went 10 miles, and you didn't quit. You, I think, are doing a GREAT job and don't let your son's math (!!) hinder you. It's NOT that you have 16 miles to go, it's that you are UP to 10 miles! Woohoo! Vee at http://veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

Lori said...

Great job on the 10 miles! Nothing wrong with walk/run intervals. Even professionals will do this.

Charbelle said...

YAY CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Jess said...

Yay for you! You can DO it.

teacherwoman said...

Nice job on the 10 miles! YOU CAN DO IT!

WannabeRunner said...

Congrats!! You are going to rock that marathon :)

Tish said...

Wow, good for you! I'm pulling for you. I hit 1000 miles on my nike+ yesterday! Lots of walking bits in there, but, who cares, it still counts!

lindsay said...

Yay Carly! LOL about your son - what a party pooper!

Claire said...

You can do it..after 10 it's only numbers xoxo

FruitFly said...

Way to go!! My longest so far is a 10K and that always feels like a huge feat to me. I will freak out the day I do a double digit run! Good job!!
~RR

zbsports said...

Nice post very entertaining. Good luck to you.

Shrinking Mommy said...

Great job! You have a great attitude about the whole thing! Maybe one day I will try to do the same as you. Keep Focused and I know you can do it!

DaphneB said...

You can dooo it!! We are going to hit our ten miler this weekend, and I am so excited to hit double digits...our half is in just two weekends!