Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Other Marathon Tidbits

The Expo:
I got to meet Carrie Tollefson.  True to Carly style, I made an ass out of myself.  She asked me if I was running the full marathon.  I sucked in a deep breath and noticed my girlfriend went sprinting in the opposite direction because she knew what was going to come out of my mouth as she had heard the story 100 times that day.  Carrie's simple yes or no question turned into a 10 minute story of how I will be running but hope not to be picked up by the sag wagon...blah blah blah.  She was very polite and smiled.  Ha!  She even agreed to take a photo with me.  Sorry for the crappy quality....I stole this photo from my girlfriend's facebook page.


The Loot:
At the Expo I purchased:
  • The fun headband that I wore during the race.  Other fun running gear can be found here at One More Mile.
  • A 26.2 magnet....just because I want to put it up in my office and point to it when anyone asks how far the marathon was.
  • Some hot pink recovery socks
  • The book-A Father's Odyssey: 75 Marathons in 75 Days (I met the author and thought he was pretty cool)

The iPod:
The night before the marathon, at 8:30 to be exact, my iPod decided to quit.  It was completely dead.  The gasp that I let out triggered Chubby Hubby to run to Target for an emergency purchase.  He got me an replacement shuffle.  Pink to match my shirt.  I am thankful he did because I never would have survived the race without my crazy play list.

The People:
I got passed by:
  • A dude who was juggling.  In fact I almost tripped on his balls (get your mind out of the gutter!!)
  • A lady walking with cat ears on and some spandex pants with neon streaks circa 1980
  • A man that was into 80+ age group (I hope to be him someday)
  • A turtle

I was inspired by:
  • A guy in a full military gear carrying the American Flag
  • A man that was into 80+ age group (I hope to be him someday)
  • A guy who was on a quest to do a marathon in all 50 states....I later learned he was 78 years old!!!  He had so much energy on the course.
  • There are so many more....I lost track!

Post Race:
I actually feel like I got hit by the bus that I almost had to board.  My body hurts and it hurts bad.  I am really moving slow.  Today was a little worse than yesterday but that is to be expected.  I went back to work today and sitting at a desk in front of a computer was pure torture.

My friend Kelli left for home yesterday but before she took off we had the most AMAZING lunch at Wally's Roast Beef Sandwiches and More.  She and I both ordered the Blue Plate Special.  It was their famous roast beef on Texas Toast served with mashed potatoes and smothered with gravy.
Oh yes.....this lunch was pure gluttony but it was worth every bite.  If you are in the Twin Cities, I highly recommend it.  I think it needs a special visit from Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives!!!

What's next?
Recovery for a few days then back to couch to 5K.  Sad but true...I just completed a marathon yet I can't run more than 5 minutes at a time.  I am not sure if I should be impressed or disgusted with my abilities.  Either way marathon #3 is in the books and time to build it up again.  There was a lot that I learned and a lot that I will do different next time.  And yes, there will be a next time!

30 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Congrats, again, on completing this marathon. I am seriously thinking about doing it next fall! You're a rockstar!

christina said...

Thanks for posting... im about to do my first half with plans to do a full in March and Im getting very very nervous - 10 days to go!

Christina

http://last-weight-loss-journey.blogspot.com/

Diana said...

My mind "wasn't" in the gutter until you told me to get out of it! Okay, that's a total lie! Cracked me up and I totally got an image in my mind too!
Congrats again :)

Heather said...

I was so sore Sunday and Monday night I couldn't sleep. I have been popping Advil like it's my job! Great job again on finishing - huge accomplishment! That sandwich looks delish!

Megsie said...

Those oldies are goodies. I can't imagine running a marathon, yet YOU DID IT and so many others did it too. Am. In. Awe.

Running Diva Mom said...

congratulations!!! love this post -- a nice way to look back on the race and everythign that surrounds it! great job!

The CilleyGirl said...

Recovery time is normal, don't worry!!! I did my first marathon in May in 6:26:40 and my legs didn't feel like they weren't stapled on backwards for more than two months. I finally stopped trying to push it like I thought I should be doing, and now I'm running so much better with much faster recovery times. (Still slow as hell, but oh well!)

Stacey said...

That sandwich looks yummy! Congrats again on finishing another marathon! I may have to do Twin Cities next year.

Delane said...

Your awesome!

TNTcoach Ken said...

I love the magnet idea!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing before the bus!!! I think I saw that turtle and it was moving pretty fast. As for the 80 year old, he is retired and his kids are all grown up so he has much more time to train than you. You are my inspiration!! TINA

Vee said...

I am inspired by YOU! The fact that you're in such pain and already planning your training for the next C25K ... amazing and wonderful. Congrats. And wow about your hubby running out to get you a replacement ipod ... THAT's a good partner. Vee at http://veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

lindsay said...

I should buy Apple stock the way you and a few others go thru iPods... :) LOL about the reasoning for the magnet, but great idea! Hope you can walk normally again soon.

Twix said...

Congrats! What you did was amazing! Very inspirational! :D That gravy sandwhich looked yummy!!

GISrunner said...

The gutter? Oh, yeah that's where my mind stays most of the time along with those of all the 12-year-old boys ...

I know exactly what you mean about the C25k. I plan on starting it AGAIN after my 10-miler on Oct. 16.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Poor Carrie Tollefson!

... adding ... Who's Carrie Tollefson?

In fact I almost tripped on his balls (get your mind out of the gutter!!)

Hahahahahaha! I've done that with my own balls! You know, on days when they're really dragging from lack of sex - I mean SLEEP!1!

WannabeRunner said...

I still think you deserve a thousand congratulations!! A full marathon scares the hell out of me - you are an inspiration!

Megan said...

I've run two halfs without music because I forgot to charge once and the other b/c it just gave out. It bites. But you deal.

I always get passed by 80 yr old men. I never know if it should annoy me or I should just be impressed.

Running Librarian said...

Congrats! I have ran the Cherry blossom 10miler with a juggler..man I hated him for juggling and running while feeling like he was mocking me the entire time I saw him..saw him again during my first 1/2 marathon in Philly..I think he is secretly stalking me!

Laurel said...

I LOVE your blog - you completely inspire me! Congrats and Thank You!!

Stace said...

I am practically teary eyed! Way to go! Congratulations on your finishing effort. YOU deserve a cocktail ; )

Tricia said...

congrats on #3

One Crazy Penguin said...

Well done on the finish!

PS - that turtle was faster than he looked :p

Sherri said...

congratulations! Great JOB!

Ann said...

congratulations!!

sTyliSH1 said...

I want to thank you for your post. I struggle with the same thing, not being able to run for long periods of time. I thought I couldn't run a marathon until I was able to run the whole thing! You are an inspiration! Congrat's on completing the marathon!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Great job!

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

Dude, you finished!! & Your last sentence sums it up, stop beating yourself up & recover!!!

FruitFly said...

I bet if asked a question I wouldn't have a yes or no answer either - so you get a pass on that one! ;)

And I totally agree with another comment I see -- my mind hadn't yet slipped into the gutter until you told me not to let it go there!
~RR

Sally HP said...

I just started running this Spring and ran my first two half marathons this summer. I love your blog, and can't wait to read more about how you trained for your marathons...it's new on my goal list, taken from the firmly 'I'll nevers' to the Heck yes, I want tos!