Wednesday, October 13, 2010

So Now What?

The marathon is over and my time of being a couch potato has expired.  So now what do I do?  This past week I have had time to think about my next round of goals.  I have determined that I will be running Twin Cities Marathon again next year.  I almost HAVE to because it will mark my 10 year anniversary of becoming an official marathoner.  Since I do not want to have a repeat of this year's race, I have a lot of work to do in the next 51 weeks.

For now, I am back to baby steps:
  • Focus on weight loss.  The lighter I am, the easier it is to run.  I didn't want to announce this, but I am signing up for Weight Watchers again tomorrow.  We have a program at work that reimburses 100%.  Half of my office is doing it so I may as well join the club.
  • Core exercises and weights.  Get back into Pilates.  They have classes at my gym and I do have a DVD that I can dust off.
  • Run both the Turkey Day 5K and the Reindeer Run 5K.  Just to keep me on my feet and out the door now that the weather is getting a bit cooler.
That is pretty much it.  I have proven that I can finish a marathon, now I want to get a smoking PR at the next one.  I think it is going to take an entire year to get me to that point!

20 comments:

One Crazy Penguin said...

I just signed up for weight watchers today! Hopefully we both have good luck with it!

Aka Alice said...

I just got caught up (read the last four posts), so let me be among the last to say...

Geez girl, I am so proud of you and impressed for finishing and for doing it before the bus. That is just stubborn perseverance!

I sorta feel like my comment is like your marathon. Does four posts late count as finishing before the SAG bus?

Seriously, be proud. You finished it. Many don't even start!

Stephanie Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie Anne said...

I told your story of pushing back to leave the bus behind to some runner friends of mine and they were impressed and proud!

I have been doing WW for a long time, I'm doing the online now. Nothing to be ashamed of, it works when you follow the plan! You just have to be careful your eating whole clean foods rather than the processed crap they promote lol

Kim said...

Glad to see weight training in your new routine. In my opinion, weight training is vital for weight loss and muscle is good for better runs, recovery times, less injuries and a faster metabolism even while resting so it's a win/win/win situation.

bobbi said...

I'd LOVE to run TC next year - I have similar goals to yours, I NEED to do stuff besides just run (core, weights, etc).

Good luck in your journey!

Carly said...

Sounds like a plan. I've done WW before and I really think it works, so you go girl! I would still be doing it now, but I really can't afford it. :-(

TNTcoach Ken said...

Okay Stan, you have a plan! Look out smoking fast PR...........

Megsie said...

I gave up Weight Watchers this fall. Shit. I think your goals sound perfect. xo

christina said...

Good for you for heading back to WW! I do the online version - I just cant fit meetings into my schedule since they arent super close... WW has been great for me!

What about a sping half marathon - something slightly bigger then the 5k's to get you moving again and have you half way trained for the full marathon training to repeat your marathon?

Im doing my first 1/2 this saturday! Then will back off for a month or so and pick back up for marathon training for a march marathon... winter training in maryland is going to SUCK!

Good luck!

Christina
http://last-weight-loss-journey.blogspot.com/

Stacey said...

I think it is great that your work reimburses 100%!! Good luck with your goals!

Emz said...

Go get that PR girl! Can't wait to follow your journey.

YAY for yoga/core!

You are completely awesome.

Teamarcia said...

Sounds to me like you have some great goals!

WannabeRunner said...

That is so awesome that your work reimburses you! I signed up for WW a month ago & have lost 7 pounds so far. I really like the program. Good luck!

Lori said...

I keep thinking that running would be much easier if I could shed these last 10 pounds!

Good luck with WW. It's cool that your company pays for this!

DaphneB said...

Yeah girl!! Good luck on the weight loss too...my hubs keeps telling me, "imagine what it will feel like to run at twenty lbs lighter!" I hope to run my first marathon next year!

kilax said...

Those two 5Ks sound fun!

I need to lose weight to make running easier too. Well, and to be healthier! Good luck!

Delane said...

Weight watcher works when you work it. I'm living proof this year.

Heather said...

Sounds like a great plan!

FruitFly said...

I love this little holiday 5K races! I'm hoping to do some, too!

Well here's to another successful year of running for you, and tackling next year's marathon!