Monday, October 4, 2010

Twin Cities Marthon- The Report

Official Chip Time:  6:03:30 (A PW....Personal Worst but one I am proud of)

Pre-race with my biggest cheerleaders

The Course:
The course was beautiful!  If you are ever looking for a Fall race, this one is a MUST.  The Fall colors are spectacular and the route winds through some of the most beautiful places in both Minneapolis and St. Paul.  Spectators lined the course and made lots of noise (although, with my time most had left the course later in the race).

My Method:
I set out to do 5 and 5 intervals and I had pretty much ditched that idea at mile 1.  The course had a lot more hills than I remember and to conserve energy, I walked the hills.  When I tried to come up with a plan, I couldn't stick to it.  Chubby Hubby and the boys met me 3 times along the course to check on me and to cheer me on.  It was a welcomed sight.  At the expo, I grabbed a pace band for a 6 hour finish and tried to hit the times indicated.  I did well doing a walk run combo until I hit mile 22.

The Last 4 Miles:
At mile 22, I met up with a lady that started chatting with me.  I was starting to struggle getting my legs to move faster so I walked with her.  It was her first marathon and she was also struggling.  I slowed my walking pace to stay with her because truthfully, misery love company.

Then I heard my name shouted from the sidelines.  My friends Tana and Marc jumped out on the course and handed us a Gatorade.   They had been parked on Summit Avenue cheering on runners and handing out bananas and oranges.  Little did I know, this chance encounter would change the outcome of my marathon.

Tana and Marc followed  us down Summit Avenue offering some much needed encouragement.  We we passed mile 24 a race official announced that "The Bus" was right behind us.  The bus is what you have to board if you are not on track to finish in 6 hours.  The lost my composure at this point.  I started running and I ended up ditching the girl I was walking with.  Tana turned into a Drill Sargent at this point and started SCREAMING at me....."GET YOUR ASS MOVING!!!"  I had felt defeated at this point and had nothing left in the tank.  She picked out focus points to run to which only ended up being a block at the very most.  All I kept thinking was, I have come 24 F***ing miles only to be picked up by the SAG wagon.  Tana screamed louder and drowned muffled the negative voices.  Somehow I kept going and at mile 26 my friend Kelli (who finished almost 2 hours ahead of me....she did AMAZING!),  jumped in and started screaming at me from the other side.  With their ass whooping encouragement, I was able to dig a little deeper and finish the race.  A few seconds later I heard the announcement that the bus was crossing and that concluded the race.  Unfortunately, the girl I was running with, didn't make the cut off.  If I had stayed with her, I would have been on the bus.  Thank you to Marc, Tana, and Kelli for obeying the saying on my headband:


At the finish line with Marc and Tana.  I think I owe these two a cocktail.



Kelli and I at the finish. I also owe my finish to her. 

Why I am Proud of a Personal Worst:
Simple.  I didn't give up.

39 comments:

misszippy said...

Carly--You just gave me the chills reading that! Way to go--you should be very proud of yourself for pulling it together and motivating like that. Congrats!!

Dawn said...

Great story!! Thanks so much for your blog. I've been following it as I train for my first ever half marathon. Very inspiring!! And I'm so glad you didn't give up!! Way to go!! :)

Lisa said...

Congratulations for toughing it out and making it to the finish line!

bobbi said...

I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!! Congratulations on finishing what you atarted...you are so inspiring!

Diana said...

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!!
That is fantastic Carly-great report! Never doubt yourself again!
You've got some "bling" to show off!

James said...

Sometimes just crossing the finish line is an amazing accomplishment. Great job on kicking in at the end to beat the SAG wagon. I do a lot of run/walks and found that 2/1 or 3/1 are the best sets to maintain a decent time while still walking.

Jenn said...

Congratulations!!!!

Stacey said...

GReat race report! I cried! Way to finish! Congrats!

The Turtle said...

Great job and great attitude. In my opinion, anyone who goes out and exercises for 6+ hours is a winner, even if they don't finish. Congrats on getting it done.

Jamoosh said...

Time is relative. Some ofmy best marathons are my slowest ones. You did a great job!

SteveQ said...

Congrats! I was out there chheering and trying to convince myself to do a marathon I've signed up for - now you have me thinking a PW might not be so bad.

GISrunner said...

Carly, I am SO PROUD of you. I thought of you several times yesterday but wasn't able to check your blog until this morning. Your posts are an inspiration to me & I sincerely thank you for that! Way to push through to the finish!

teacherwoman said...

You're right. You didn't give up! Wonderful attitude and congratulations!

Average A said...

So proud of you -- pulling yourself together when you have nothing left is NO small task. You have every right to be proud of your finish. :) Way to go, Carly.

xoxo,
A

Shrinking Mommy said...

YOU ARE AWESOME! I am proud of you for doing it! I just now am thinking of doing a 1/2 marathon...don't know if it will happen but someday it might!

Great job for not giving up and staying with it!

Jen said...

First... PW... HILARIOUS. I like that you say it like you earned it... because you DID!

I am so happy to read that you did not give up. I think it is awesome that your friends helped you make it to the finish line... and know that you posts are helping me... and many others make it to our first marathon... start line!

Charbelle said...

So awesome Carly!!! Congratulations on finishing!!! Friends are truly amazing!!! So glad that they screamed you to the finish!!!

Heather said...

Way to finish and not give up! And I hear you about forgetting about the hills . . . must be sort of like childbirth, because I seriously did not remember the course being that hilly. :)

Cathy said...

Carly, you go mama. Seriously. I'm so inspired by you. Hope to see you at running group in the next few weeks!

Lucy said...

CONGRATS! Way to tough it out and finish! GO YOU!

DaphneB said...

You are AMAZING and such an inspiration, truly! I love the friends pushing through to the end, and the headband. Where did you get that, BTW??

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
I always enjoy reading your blog posts:) You are such a good story teller! I felt like I was right there with you:) Awesome, awesome job! Way to get it done! I am so proud of you! You were able to pull it together when you needed to! You are a rock star!

Carly said...

You should be proud of yourself for not giving up. Way to go!

Tammy said...

Congrats Carly, you rock!

Stephanie Anne said...

So awesome!!! I am so inspired to run a marathon now! WTG for sticking to it & toughing it out!

Neeks said...

Congratulations. So proud of you :)

Delane said...

Awesome, WTG!!!

Megsie said...

You should be SO VERY PROUD! I am absolutely in awe of you. Way to go!! By the way, can you move today? OUCH.

xo!

lindsay said...

Way to go! Love stories about digging deep and giving it your all :) too bad that first timer couldn't keep up. :-/ Congrats again!

RunKateRun said...

I love your final sentence. You're way ahead of the millions (billions??) of people who have never completed a marathon!!!

Veronica said...

Love the headband and congrats on crossing the finish line! Very inspiring

aron said...

congratulations!! sometimes our most proud races have absolutely nothing to do with the clock :)

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice work getting through that race! CONGRATS on an inspiring race!!

Cathy said...

Wow - you are amazing! What a great story for your finish! Great job!!

RBR said...

My personal worst is worse than your personal worst! Neener neener! :)

Great report and great race. Endurance sports are about enduring and moving forward when you just want to lay down.

My personal motto: She who is on the course longest has the most fun!

And I, personally, have A LOT of fun.

Great job!

MCM Mama said...

Great job finishing that marathon! YAY for friends who "dragged" you onward. You should be super proud of yourself for not giving up.

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

You finished, and that's ALL that matters, totally inspired!!!!!

Blooming Orchid said...

Beautiful re-cap. Your story has inspired me to lace my running shoes back up. I'm proud of you!
BTW, I got lapped once by a man juggling too in an 8K in Virginia. I wonder if it was the same man?

FruitFly said...

What awesome friends you have to yell at you! Seriously - that's so cool! Congratulations on crossing that finish line!!
~RR