Monday, October 18, 2010

Weekend Wrap Up- Wanna Fight?

I had a great weekend with the family. We took advantage of one the last nice Fall days and spent most of the weekend outdoors. Saturday my parents paid us a visit and watched the boys play a double header football game. Sunday we spent the day at a local corn maze.  I LOVE these Fall days, but I try not to think about what comes next.  The long Winter.


While visiting the corn maze, my kids were playing in the corn bin. It is a huge pit filled with dried feed corn and the kids play in it like a “pool”. I called my oldest son over to me because I wanted to limit his exposure because of his asthma. On his way over to me he almost (key word ALMOST) stepped on another child about his age (8ish) who was completely buried in corn. He wasn't being rowdy or diving....he was WALKING.  All of the sudden I hear this woman behind me spewing at my child asking him where his common sense was and if he was blind and stupid. Then she turned to me and started cussing me out. She called me a bad parent who doesn’t watch her kids (um I was right there the whole time). Righhht.

Thankfully my clueless, lacking common sense son (insert eye roll here) didn’t hear a word she said. I, however, did. The mama bear came out in me and I turned to her and said “if you are so concerned with your son’s safety, perhaps you should tell him not to bury himself and then people will be able to see him”. Oh boy, that is when she really got going and calling me every name in the book….my favorite was “FAT bitch”. Then the next words out of her mouth were “You wanna go?”****blank stare****  WHAT??!!! I didn’t know what to say, if I hadn’t been so taken aback by an invitation for a fight I would have said something clever. But I didn’t, I just smiled and turned away.

I am 36 years old and I have NEVER been in a fight. I am not the fighting type. I turned away with and let her look like an ass. The whole experience still makes me giggle. A fight? Seriously? Over absolutely nothing.  Clearly this woman watches too much Jerry Springer.

We left after this altercation.  I left without a black eye but she got nailed with some flying corn that some child was throwing around (errr…I think my kid did it. Oops. I guess I am a bad parent after all). The evil part of me was satisfied that she got a bit of Karma. There are some crazy people out there.  Again, does this stuff only happen to me?

What would you have done in the same situation?




23 comments:

Charbelle said...

YIKES!!!!! Crazy psycho, scary, and the list goes on!!! I would have walked away too!!

Jess said...

I think I might have accepted the invitation to rumble!

Lynn said...

I would have said, "Sure, if you can catch me." And then I would have taken off running. You know, just to show you could run faster than her :)

Kelly said...

I would've walked away too. But I also would've let it bother me the whole day. I just hate when people like that ruin a perfectly good experience for everyone else. Good for you for just brushing it off and enjoying the rest of your day!

Emz said...

HOLY CRAP. What a freak.

I [unfortunately?!], think I might have been with Jess though. I have long nails. ;)

Carly said...

I probably would have done exactly the same thing you did. But really, some people!

Jessica said...

Ooh! Scary! I might have peed my pants!

Anonymous said...

i wouldnt have done anything. Sarge would've choked the b*tch out!:)

Jay Zass

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
Oh, I am so the big mama bear too! I have been there and can relate! Don't mess with the mama....especially when kids are just being kids! She was a nut case!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

holy balls...I would have walked away too and yes I would have made the same comment you did at first. I think walking away is teaching your kids the right thing, but oh man the other side of the brain wants to just rail on her!

RockStarTri said...

Wise choice walking away. You never know what crazy people can do.

lindsay said...

umm. i would have walked away as well. too psycho. little diva looks like she is either a) being gangsta or b) doing the chicken dance.

Kristen said...

I've had similar situations...up until she challenged you to fight! What?!? I have just smiled and sarcastically thanked them for their parenting advice and walked away. What would I have done with the challenge? Probably pee'd my pants. I'm brave until someone starts threatening bodily harm. LOL. Sadly, she's probably someone who needs love. ;)

Vee said...

I wouldn't have gotten into a fistfight with her but it would have gotten ugly. To think that she had to go the fat-route with her insults shows how idiotic she is. Ridiculous.

Yeah, I woulda fired back calling her all kinds of names. I know, I'm so mature. [my own eyes rolling].

Vee at http://veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

Lucy said...

Some people are crazy! I'm glad that you walked away and left her looking like a fool.

Megsie said...

I would have walked away. But I probably would have had some passive aggressive remark roll off my tongue. Something like, Are you serious? Geez. I can't believe it!

bobbi said...

I can think of TONS of sharp rebuttals now, but in the moment I'm sure I'd have been too stupified to even respond. A fight?!? Are you kidding me?

People scare me sometimes...

Al's CL Reviews said...

OMG! I'm so sorry Carly, but this post has me cracking up! She asked you to fight? BWAHAHAHAHA!

Tricia said...

insane!

mindysmarathon said...

Good grief! I think you made the right choice to walk away....crazy people can be scary!!

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

Man, the corn brings out the crazy in people!! I have no idea what I would of done. I think you handled that situation very well.

FruitFly said...

Well, if I had been in your shoes and reacted the way I did while laughing, I actually did laugh out loud. Who says that?? I mean you were at a fun corn maze. Who tries to pick a fight over nothing? I'm so glad you came out the winner. I'm a big believer in karma - the corn coming back at her is awesome!

kilax said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS.

That woman is ridiculous. I probably would have talked back like you, then let her fume. Seriously.

My SiL is kind of like that. Ugh. Hate it.