Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween Damage Control

Halloween, actually the weeks leading up to Halloween, kick off the weight gain season for me.  Every year I seem to pack on the pounds and when January 1st comes, I am shocked because I have usually set a world record for amount of weight gained.  This year it WILL be different.

Last week at Weight Watchers I had a stellar first week with a 3.6lb loss.  This week has been a bit of a challenge.  Halloween parties, trick or treating, and the fact the Hershey's took a dump in my house has my resolve a bit weak.  I did a scale hope last night and folks....it aint pretty.  I am now doing damage control. 
  • The bag of candy pictured was donated to the troops.  The boys' school is collecting candy for Operation Gratitude.  The kids got to pick out a couple of pieces and the rest was shipped out.  I know it is their candy and I shouldn't touch it, but I am powerless to sugar.  Plus they do not need it either.  It was kind of sick that we donated a half full grocery bag full of candy.  I can't imagine how many lbs that would equate to on my bod.
  • I am chugging water to flush out the salty and bad foods consumed over the weekend.  Burgers, chips, dips, drinks, etc...
  • I started running again last night.  It wasn't much and I have to build up the mileage again but I got out there.
  • No matter how ugly the journal looks this week, if I ate it it is in the journal.
The difference between last week and this week was planning.  Last week, I planned having cocktails and high calorie foods....for one day.  This week, I didn't plan ahead.  Now I hope my "Halloweening" won't show up all that bad on the scale.  *fingers crossed*

16 comments:

christina said...

I think you have your mind 100% in the right place and a good plan in place too! This year will be different!

I had the same kind of moment this week and decided that after only losing one pound over Oct and going into the holiday season I need more accountability. I was doing WW on my own... today I went back to a meeting. I hope to have as good of a week this week as you did last week!!!

Christina
http://last-weight-loss-journey.blogspot.com/

Charbelle said...

I am powerless over sugar as well!!! I think it's awesome y'all donated the candy!! We had little trick or treaters come through our office and they said a lot of that candy would be donated to the troops as well!!

Emz said...

Operation Gratitude. LOVE THAT!

Way to go!

misszippy said...

Love that plan for the candy--our dentist does a $1/pound buy back and sends it off to the troops.

You have a plan of attack and that's what it takes. Good job!

bobbi said...

I am also powerless to sugar. Which is really really annoying when you have a husband who doesn't even notice it. sigh.

I'm ignoring the scale until next week. *covers her eyes...lalalala I CAN'T SEE YOU OVER THERE IN THE CORNER*

GISrunner said...

Count me as another who's powerless to sugar as well. It's my gateway that can lead to making other poor choices. So, I had a few too many treats myself Thursday-Sunday, but woke up with a new resolve. My Body by Vi plan is still working great, but the emotional eating part ... well, that's all up here (tapping forehead). Good luck this week & sending the candy to the troops is a great idea!

Michelle said...

Halloween candy is evil. The stores on base have it all discounted like 75% and it was hard to pass by it this morning. But I did!

TNTcoach Ken said...

LOL... I said the same thing about this time of year! The Crappy Eating season....

Lori said...

Planning is always key, isn't it?

I consider Halloween to be the kickoff of the eating season. It's funny because there really are only 2 holidays in there (for me) or 3 if you include Xmas eve, which I do. It's just hard with all the wonderful holiday recipes and such. I have a hard time because I am a baker, and then the weather gets cold outside which limits as much activity.

I set weekly and monthly goals to help keep myself on track.

trifitmom said...

i gave some to a local mom collecting for the troops but of course i did not give it all away, i kept enough that i am having a hard time resisting.....i am thinking maybe i will donate a bunch each day....

James said...

Resistance is futi.... oh wait..... yeah you can do it this year. Making plans is half the battle. If only I could follow through with it myself.

teacherwoman said...

That's a great idea to donate to troops! I need to get rid of my candy... fast!

termite said...

i think everyone is powerless to sugar. but having a plan seems to be a great idea. maybe even post about it once a week. like monday, which is the hardest day to report anything good when it comes to food.

on second thought, that's not such a good idea..lol

Kevin said...

It's cool you are sending the candy to a good cause. Thank you.

Kevin
http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

X-Country2 said...

What a great thing to do with all that candy.

WannabeRunner said...

Oh, Halloween candy. I hear you - i have a stack of Reese's that are just taunting me...

But good idea on planning ahead for the week! That always helps me.