Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Hips Don't Lie

I should say, my hip doesn't lie and it is telling me to cool my jets with running for a bit.  Since the race, my hip has been, I will say, a bit uncomfortable.  I am refusing to say injured because of the wave of "I told ya sos" that would come my way for not being prepared for the race.  I have been seeing the chiropractor for treatment.  They have been using The Stick on me (not a sexual reference), some deep muscle therapy, and yesterday I received an ultrasound treatment.  Heat. Stretch. Ice. Repeat. The good news, is that it is starting to feel better and I do not have any restrictions.  I am being cautious though and just walking right now.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that I am not running...but I guess it is better than being completely laid up.

Dealing with this has made me realize that I need to go back to Pilates.  I was doing really well when my core was a bit stronger.  It has been six months since my last Pilates class and I lost most of the strength I gained.  I quit because I was bored and I felt that I could use the time to do more aerobic type workouts.  I learned the hard way that my body that has been battered by having children cut out of me and I really need this type of workout.   So, I am resigning up to start next Monday.  Boring or not, I like the instructor and she does have a good routine (even though it does get monotonous).  I need to suck it up and go because it will help me get back into my running shoes quicker.

12 comments:

Lisa said...

best wishes with the hip

Stacey said...

It sounds like you are doing everything possible.
I went to the chiropractor for an adjustment. I asked about my knee, and he said he could help with it..he adjusted it and now...it pops with every step..big help that was. (:
Good luck with your recovery!

teacherwoman said...

Pilates is wonderful! Glad you are being cautious with your hip!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Good luck with the hip!

Teamarcia said...

Sounds like you're taking all the appropriate actions to expedite healing. Whether we are open to listening, injuries often teach us something.

Lori said...

I neglected my stretching for a long time. I have a current challenge to myself to stretch at least 4 days out of the week and in the past month have really noticed a difference in my flexibility. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Hope the hip recovers quickly!

Kiesha said...

Hope the hip starts behaving better for you. I've had to do the same type of thing with my knee lately and I'm not a very good patient. It's hard to cut back a little and ice my knee when it's already friggin' cold outside. Good Luck!

One Crazy Penguin said...

Bummer about the hip. Sending positive vibes your way for a quick recovery!

Kim (Book Worm Runs) said...

:( Boo!! I really hope your hip gets better soon!!

Aka Alice said...

Strength training is like eating broccoli or string beans, it's good for me, and I'll do it because it's good for me, but it's not what I really want.

Running well is like chocolate chip cookies. I'd eat them all day long if I could get away with it, but I can't and if I have too many I pay the price.

Delane said...

Hope the hip clears up.

I too get bored with pilates.

Meg said...

I'm with you...sometimes the exercises we NEED to do can be pretty boring but they always pay off in the end. I need to get back to mine soon!