Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pilates

I started doing Pilates again, or as Chubby Hubby calls them "Pill-Lats".  I made the decision to stick with the same instructor as I had in the past.  The routine was almost the same as it was six months ago.  It was kind of nice to go back and not have to re-learn moves. Rather being in the gymnasium of an elementary school, I actually drove a bit further and went to her studio.  It is much nicer place (and cleaner!).  My only complaint about the new location was the MIRRORS.  I had to find a position in the room so I wouldn't see myself.  I will admit I was a bit taken aback when I caught a glimps of myself.....there is a reason that the mirrors in my house are just shoulder up.

I was shocked that pretty much all of my strength I had six months ago is gone.  I gave my all during the hour and my body was screaming. There were several moves that I could not physically do.   There was one rolling exercise where my back cracked so loud, I swear it made the floor vibrate (but damn, it felt good!).  My instructor assured me by the end of the five week session I will be able to complete all of the moves.  I sure hope she is right!

I originally quit this class because I was B-O-R-E-D!  I have determined that the benefits outway the excitement factor.  I really shouldn't complain because this class gives me over an hour to myself, stretches out my tight muscles, and is a hell of a good strength and flexibility workout.  I reserve the right to groan about how boring it is, but I will not be quitting this time.  If want to continue to run, this workout is going to have to be a necessary evil in my life.

Oh yeah....I am so very sore today.

18 comments:

Charbelle said...

Once you master this class does she have more advanced options? Another studio might also be another option!! I loved pilates and I have a pilates stretch DVD I need to pull out again. It definitely helps with the tight muscles that we get from running!!

HH said...

Hi there!

I've always wondered if I could do pilates, they have a "hot yoga" here in town I keep eyeing, but I'm a little intimated by it!

Great job on getting to pilates, and sticking with it. I will be following your progress!

Lisa said...

I find pilates too difficult and too boring. It just doesn't hold my attention and I suck at it anyway.

Good for you for giving this a go!

Emz said...

I
Love
Pilates.

Way harder than it looks but as with any teacher lead class ----- you must have a great teacher!!

Lily on the Road said...

Doesn't take long to lose all that we gained, by that I mean strength, flexibility and cardio, not waistline....

Wow, a good backcrack, sounds as though you're doing something right!!

Mimi C said...

I've been doing hot yoga for two months after 18 months off and it is just starting to get better. I was so sore those first two weeks after class it hurt getting to the car. I tokk a class this AM and so far so good.

trifitmom said...

love/hate with pilates, did it for a while and felt like i could not do any of it. breath, suck in stomach, move , keep flat..ugh, but it did feel good and i felt elongated ???

marathon grrl said...

Good job! It's hard to get back into something but it sounds like you've convinced yourself of the overall benefits. Have fun and enjoy building that strength back!

Teamarcia said...

good for you for getting back into it!

Bethany said...

No worries... Once you get back into the groove of the class, you'll start noticing it affecting (positively) your running. :) I need to find a good pilates class in my area! All my dvd's stink...

Marlene said...

Good for you getting back to it! I wish my gym had a pilates class.... it seems like a killer workout!

I hear you on the mirrors. They get me during yoga too. There are certain angles I just don't want to see!

Sally HP said...

I love pilates and just re-discovered Yoga. I didn't realize it would give me such an intense workout, but I was SORE the next day! Now, I'll really go on Wednesday :)

lindsay said...

yeah that's why i am on and off the yoga train... i get bored with it! hopefully we can both get some streaks going on :)

Vee and the Kid said...

I absolutely cannot exercise in front of a mirror. I don't blame you for the "positioning"!

Glad you got back to it. Strength of character!

Vee at http://veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

akjenniekt said...

I am new to your blog and first I have to say I love your title (sounds just like me :)!). I know what you mean about pilates- it's great for you but it's hard for me to get through an hour of it since it's so slow moving

The Enthusiast said...

I've never done pilates, only the "I want to kill myself" yoga. Three-legged dogs are never natural. PERIOD. Way to get back into the groove though!!

Lipstick Robot said...

Just wanted to leave a hello. Just started my own weight loss tracking blog and it was really because the inspiration I got from reading blogs like yours. So thanks!
-Lauren-
http://lipstickrobotkiss.blogspot.com/

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

Good for you!! I've always wanted to do pilates, and you just inspired me to start googling and to find a studio! The mirrors will kill me to, Oy vey!