Thursday, December 9, 2010

Surprise!

This morning I woke up, grabbed my phone (yes, it was the first thing I grabbed) and saw that I had been tagged in a Facebook post.  I learned that my friend Kelli had signed me up for our next racing adventure.  I rubbed my eyes and read it again.  I really thought she was pulling my leg until I read my email:

Lost Dutchman Marathon Arizona

Dear Carly,


Congratulations! You are now registered for Lost Dutchman Marathon Arizona. Please check the event's official website for updates: http://www.lostdutchmanmarathon.org


We had been casually chatting about our next race and this one came up in conversation.  It was a strong MAYBE.  She asked if I registered and I said no and explained that I wouldn't be ready for a half marathon in February.  I told her that the most I could do was potentially a 10K (the new and improved Carly is going to be smarter this year).  Honestly, wasn't sure if I wanted to get off my lazy ass and subject myself to training in the cold could truly commit to a race. 

When I first saw the email, I saw MARATHON and just about fainted.  NO NO NO!!!   There is no way!  Then I looked a bit closer, she signed me up for the 10K.  That I could do.  Even so, I am laughing that my friend just signed me up.   I learned that I should never leave an idea hanging on a maybe when I have an impatient friend who is left alone with a computer and a credit card.  Ha!  Despite my shock this morning, I am very excited.

Now I really have to step it up and start running again.  I have about 10 weeks (or 73 days, but who is counting) to get on it and I will be following Hal Higdon's 10K training program.  Arizona, HERE I COME!

20 comments:

Lisa said...

I think that's actually very cool. :-)

Carly said...

Neat. Glad it worked out the way you wanted it to (vs. being signed up for the marathon). Sounds like fun!

Stacey said...

I love it! You are going to get to leave your cold home state and go to the nice warm desert and run. What could be better in the middle of winter?

bobbi said...

What a cool thing for your friend to do!! This sounds like a perfect mid-winter adventure...

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

How do I get friends like that? This is so cool!

Vee and the Kid said...

You absolutely can do it. I've been reading your blog for a while, and you sooo can do what you set your mind to. Have fun! Keep us posted. Vee at http://veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

Jaime said...

My neck of the woods... =) You will love it. Having the Superstition Mountains as your backdrop... and the warm (ish) weather... Heaven on Earth! ;)

Tricia said...

whoohoo

WannabeRunner said...

Arizona? Yay!!! I may sign up for the 10k too, i hear this race is great.

Kim (Book Worm Runs) said...

That is really awesome and cool of your friend! :) Good luck with the training!!

FruitFly said...

Holy cow - I would have had major fear at the sight of "marathon", too!

But this 10K is going to be owned... by YOU! :)

Claire said...

That is an awesome friend! You'll make that 10K your bitch!

ajh said...

Yeah! Something to look forward to!

Teamarcia said...

That is way cool! I so need a friend like that now!

RockStarTri said...

Great gift!

MCM Mama said...

Friends like that rock!

lindsay said...

That's awesome! Whew that it's 20-miles less than the initial heart attack. Might not be friends with this person anymore if she had signed you up for the full haha.

Meri said...

I'd be willing to run just to leave this snowmageddon for arizona right now! Sounds fun!
Meri

Sally HP said...

Yes! Signing up for a race is always the commitment I need. Have fun!

sTyliSH1 said...

What a great friend!!! And ugh to training in the winter! On a lighter note, you won't get all sweaty! That's gotta count for something right?