Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year..and..Polar Dash Recap!

Happy New Year!!!!  I know 2011 is going to be a great year. To kick it off, I ran the Polar Dash this morning.  It was cold, slippery, and my time SUCKED, but I had fun.  That is all that matters, right?  My official time was 40:04.  In the big scheme of things it is pretty good since I have not been running.

It was a big race and the course followed the East River Road on the Mississippi River.   It was a pretty tough 1.5 mile out and back course with several steep hills.  The first half was mostly uphill which made a nice downhill return for the second half.  The route was mile 20 something of the Twin Cities Marathon Course....and that brought back some crazy memories of last October!

The only expectation that I had for this race was to finish.  I was very happy because I ran a whole mile without a walk break and there was NO hip pain.  I started walking shortly after mile one because my calves were cramping.  For the remainder of the race I did a run/walk combo resulting in a strong finish.

After the race we headed home to a warm house and some ginormous mimosas (My champagne flutes went MIA so we drank them out of fishbowl wine glasses).  2011 is off to a great start!  Cheers!!!



Oh Yeah, I decided to join the group at Run for the BLING of it.  This is a race challenge to complete 12 races in 2011.  It is really cool to read about people who have the same goal. 

28 comments:

mommie2lea said...

Nice bling... and for a course with serious hills, I think your time is great!

Congrats, and a fantastic 2011 to you and your family.

Neeks said...

Way to go, what a great start to 2011!

Kim (Book Worm Runs) said...

Way to start 2011 off with a bang! :) Happy New Year!!

chia said...

No joke, my calf cramped up just thinking about running those hills in those temps! Great job girl!

HEATHER @ runfastermommy! said...

What an awesome medal! Way to start the year off right :)

Savannah said...

Great bling!

Delane said...

I love that medal!!!!!

Great start to 2011! I'm still in my PJ..my big accomplishment today, I brushed my teeth.

Tish said...

Good for you! Coming back to a warm house and mimosas sounds like the ticket to me.

ajh said...

Love the medal!

Claire said...

Congratulations! Way to start the new year!

Average A said...

Hey, you had a great run & I'm happy to hear you had no hip pain! Way to go! A great start to 2011 already. :)

Happy new year!
A

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Hi - I ran across your blog a few days ago, WAY TO GO! That was a cool medal too. Good luck in 2011 - you started it great!

Jess said...

"Run for the Bling of It" is a cute idea! Have fun!

Diana said...

Way to get the year started off!
Love the medal!!!

I wish I was celebrating a "Bucky" win this morning, but I guess TCU wanted it more than we did!

misszippy said...

Sounds like a perfect day to me..a race followed by mimosas! Way to do it right!

Megsie said...

I think your time is AWESOME! Good for you beginning the year out right. Those Mimosas look yummy too. Happy New Year!

Julie said...

I am so bummed that I missed you Carly! I know that this race was a tough one for both of us but I am glad that I did it:) Congrats on your finish! I love our medal:) I didn't even realize that we ran part of the TW course....mile twenty might explain why...I think that is where it really got hard for me:)

Hopefully we will run in a few more races together in 2011!

Happy New Year!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Nice angle on those wine glasses. Makes 'em look wading pool-sized.

Unless they really are wading pool-sized?

Good job on the race, sister! And good luck running 12 of 'em in '11!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Way to start out the year!! congrats!

Heather said...

Great job on the polar dash! Happy New Year!

Aka Alice said...

LOL...Now THAT is my kind of mimosa!

Happy New Year Carly!

Sherry @ Life from my persective said...

Love that bling! Congrats on the race!

Char said...

What a great way to start the year! After 15 years of no real running or races I am committed to run at least a few 5Ks this year.

alexandra said...

I run 20 miles a week and couldn't run a 5K in that time. I'm just not as fast as you are. Best of luck witht the bling this year. I just found your blog and look forward to following your adventures this year!

julie said...

Great job! Way to be out there! It was a chilly morning! I was a course Marshall on the 10k course. It was fun but it made me really want to be racing it too!

Becka said...

I love the medal!!! Great job on getting out there!!

Kevin @ Half TRI-ing said...

Cool medal.

Kevin
http://halftriing.blogspot.com

Jenn (DisneyGirlInNJ) said...

The mimosa's looked AMAZING! :) And the race was a perfect way to start of the year. Love the snowflake medal :)