Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Three Day Weekend Wrap-up

.
I am back to work after a three day weekend. It was three glorious days of hockey and laundry.  Which by the way, I believe I set a new world record for the number of consectutive hours that a washer and dryer can run.  I know you are jealous of my glamorous life and my ability to fold socks.

My winter funk has set in and it is pretty bad.  I am a bit claustrophobic with all of the snow.  We quite literally have little tiny paths dug out from our house to our car.  To add insult to injury, it is going to get cold this week.  Bitterly cold.  Confined to the house cold.  According to the calendar, I have 1 month until I can escape the wintry hell for a few days when I visit my girlfriend in Arizona.

This weekend while I was feeling sorry for myself, I ended up noshing on anything that wasn't nailed down.  Boredom?  Depression?  Whatever it was, I could not keep food out of my mouth.  I did put a stop to the craziness yesterday.  I drank lots of water, ate my veggies, dusted of Shred (ouch), and did an hour of Pilates. I do feel a bit better, but I still feel the winter blues.

I am having a hard to motivating myself to run.  I am not willing to risk injury running on icy/snowy sidewalks and roads, especially since I am healing so well.  Yet, running on the treadmill makes me want to gouge my eyes out.  I have a race in 4 weeks so I have to do it.  If I type it....I have to commit, right?  Sooo....tonight, I am going to squeeze myself between the rails of the treadmill and force myself to run on it.  Even if it kills me. 

Have the winter blues hit anyone else yet?  What are you doing to help them?

14 comments:

WannabeRunner said...

Sorry you are dealing with the winter blues. In all honesty, that was a BIG part of why i moved to AZ. The months of December - March were just depressing in the midwest.

Good luck with the treadmill tonight!

Jamoosh said...

Laundry is glorious? Have I got a job and some warmer temps for you!

M said...

Send some of the Arctic Tundra this way. I miss the bitter cold (seriously)! I'm mental. Good luck tonight on the dreadmill!

teacherwoman said...

Good luck getting that run in! This weather sucks and I am ready to move south.

Lori said...

I get really itchy to be outside on my bike, which is obviously impossible with 2 feet of snow! It's partly cabin fever and partly the cloudy skies that get to me.

And you fold socks? I am impressed! :D

April said...

Yes! Winter blues have hit! I love the snow because we hardly ever get it here, but enough is enough already! A good workout always makes me feel better. good luck on your run tonight!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

It's getting wintery'er in KC, but nothing like that - hang in there ... here's a pre-GOOD JOB for your treadmill work!

Brittany said...

Winter has been surprisingly mild here in Idaho! I had a rough December running wise but once I set my goal (and made it public) I just layered up and headed outside, despite the cold/snow/rain. But, to be honest, I would have a much harder time if we had the kind of snow you're talking about! We had a big snow a month or so ago and I hated running in it, and hate the treadmill just as much. I hope your treadmil run goes better than you imgaine it will haha.

Lisa said...

I haven't been running much this month either. blah.

Diana said...

I can imagine you getting the winter blues, you've been pounded with lots of snow this winter. We're below average snow totals here.
Hang tough-unfortunately the best cure for those blues are working out!
When the sun shines, just do a quick little run and you'll feel better!

misszippy said...

I get the winter blues every year--I really despise it! But start looking for those tiny signs of spring--the days are getting a bit longer, right? I heard a bird this morning (ok, maybe he's confused and should still be somewhere South!). Mark off those days on the calendar until Arizona. Whatever it takes to move ahead!

Carly said...

I was over winter before it started. Luckily, the hubs has been coming to the gym with me and there's an indoor track there, so that helping to keep me motivated!

Jess said...

I remember MN this time of year, and it IS tough: the cold, the snow, the lack of light -- so hang in there!

Yet, I must be having some sort of MN-amnesia lately because I have been hankering to move back. Perhaps I need to bookmark this post and re-read it every so often ;)

Ann said...

The winter blues just suck!