Thursday, February 24, 2011

Arizona and Other Miscellany

The Lost Dutchman 10K Race Report
I will keep this short and sweet.  Not too much to say except I came, I saw, I conquered.....well....I finished it.  My official time was 1:19:12.  That is roughly 12:44/mile.  I completed this race doing a run walk combo.  I did much better than I expected because the last time I ran was the Polar Dash.....January 1st.

The course was beautiful and it the back drop was the Superstition Mountains.  It was an out and back route and I believe all of the races (excluding the full marathon) ended up on the same course.  The course was a lot hillier than expected.  Being from Minnesota, I was happy that we had cool (cold) running weather.  It was rainy and very cold.  It felt like a damp fall day.  Certainly not weather I would have expected in sunny Arizona.  But it was PERFECT for running.

My friend ran the half marathon and she passed me at the last mile of the race.  It was quite funny when she did pass me because she yelled, HEY LADY, MOVE YOUR ASS to me and another woman looked at her and started bitching her out for being rude to slow runners.  She was relieved and laughed when she found out we were good friends.

On side note....if you are looking for a kickass song to get you moving, put your college fight song on your playlist.  It is impossible not to get a little spark when you hear it.  It worked for me and I even got a few strange looks yelling "Rah Rah Rah for Ski U Mah" and then spelling MINNESOTA.

Post Race
I got nekkid with a really cute man and he made me moan.  (Was that my mother I just heard gasp??!!).  Actually, while the above statement is true it was nothing kinky...we treated ourselves to an hour message to work out some of the knots from running.  It was amazing and truthfully, I need to do it more often.  He concentrated on my calves, IT band, and shoulders....he asked if I ever stretch.  I am guessing he thought they were pretty bad.  I was sore for 2 days after the massage but I am feeling better.  Do any of you get regular massages and do they help your running?

Dinner was next on our agenda and we both had a couple of martinis.  Needless to say, it was a pretty early night!  ha!


The Rest of the Time
My inlaws are snowbirds and have a little rental property in Sun City.  It was perfect because they were only 7 miles from where I was staying.  I got to see them a good portion of the weekend.  They were trying to talk us into to moving there!!!  Along with my family, they are the reason we are still in Minnesota.  Ha!  I definitely saw a new side to them and it was like they came alive.  They were so sweet were my airport chauffeurs all weekend.

Other Stuff
I signed up for the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon again.  It is kind of an obsession because I have such horrible luck getting into this race.  I have gotten in ONE time.... ONCE!  I have been throwing my name in the hat for several years.  It is a very popular race.  If I don't get in, whatever.  I will volunteer again.  Either way...it is tradition to be part of Grandma's weekend.  I should find out early next week.

I am somehow functioning on 6 hours of sleep since Tuesday and I am going to hit the hay!  I hope to catch up with you all very soon!

8 comments:

Mary said...

Way to go Carly! What a great story--nice work and thanks for sharing!

Kayla said...

Nice job! I love that you played the MN fight song! Best fight song ever ;)

Teamarcia said...

Nice race! The massage sounds wonderful--I don't remember the last one I had...yes its been that long. I'm pathetic.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Great job. A short vacation in the middle of the winter is always a good thing.

Lisa said...

well done!

weird weather that you experienced in AZ though. go figure.

Elena (Running in Heels After Child) said...

I happened upon your blog today, I am stuck at home with sick kids and playing on the computer. My sister made a sign for my first marathon that said, "run your ass off" your friends comment made me think of it.

I am a chubby runner as well- it is fun reading about your adventures, thanks for sharing.

You can check me out at: http://raninheelsafterchild.blogspot.com/

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

I can't believe how BEHIND I am with your blog posts, SHAME ON ME!!!

Great job on the run, and get your ass on twitter, you'll love it!

Carly said...

Awesome finish. I'm hoping to do another 10k soon!