Tuesday, February 1, 2011

One Month Down

As much as I feel that winter is dragging on (and it is), January flew by.  I am happy to report that I accomplished all of my goals for January.
  • I met my gym requirement
  • I ran my January race
  • Lost a couple of pounds
  • I read my one book.  See below for review

Book for January:
A Father's Odyssey:  75 Marathons in 75 Consecutive Days
By:  Terry Hitchcock and Peter Jessen
About:   Terry Hitchcock lost his wife and became a single father of 3 young kids.  When he was thrown into the role of single parent, he compared daily life to a marathon.  He decided to taken on the Epic marathon to raise awareness about single parents and their kids.

 
My Thoughts:  Meh.
I got guilted into buying the book at the Twin Cities Marathon Expo I bought this book at the Twin Cities Marathon Expo because I met the star of the book, Terry Hitchcock.  I was excited to read it because he was local guy and I wanted to read about his big 75 marathon adventure.

 
While I thought it was impressive that he could run so much for so long, I was bored with the story and I actually got kind of  ANNOYED.  I felt his sponsors that he rounded up to help support him with this project were really funding his own personal goal and the philanthropy came second.  I am not saying he is not passionate about his cause, but I was expecting more about what was done for his charity rather than the trial and tribulations of his run.  The one thing that really left me scratching my head is that he took on this adventure it was to raise awareness for single parents and their children and the back of the book indicates the proceeds of the book benefit autism, breast cancer, and diabetes research.  WTF?

Goals for February:
  • Lose a few more lbs
  • Run 3+ miles without stopping
  • Run The Lost Dutchman 10K and not die
  • Meet my 8x requirement at the gym
  • Read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • Not kill anyone due to Winter crazies

How was your January and what are you goals for February?

20 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

January flew by, does that mean we're getting really old???? Save some goals for August! HA

Teamarcia said...

My january was kind of blech. I going to buckle down and make some progress in Feb.
Too bad that book was disappointing.

Marlene said...

Awesome job in January and great goals for December!

That's too bad that the book was a bit disappointing... and totally weird about the proceeds!

WannabeRunner said...

I'm aiming to not die at the Lost Dutchman 10k too. ;)

Heather said...

Nice job with your January goals. I have read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and, from the sounds of it, it will be a huge improvement over your January book. :)

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

I'm knee deep in Run Less Run Faster half marathon training.
I totally appreciate your honest review of a book. When I review, I feel like I have to say only nice things. I like your style.

Cathy said...

Good for you - meeting your Jan. goals! So glad Feb. is here - I'm dying for some sun!!

Loved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! Read all 3 books in the series. All 3 are good reads. Trying finding the movie - it's a Swedish movie with subtitles. There's a couple scenes that you'll want to forward through, but the film is pretty good!

Charbelle said...

YAY!!!! Congratulations on accomplishing all the goals!!!! Award for you on my blog!!

Brittany said...

Congrats on meeting your goals! I am so glad Jan flew by, I can't wait for winter to be OVER!

I barely made my goal of 100 miles for January, but I did it!

Mary said...

January WAS great huh!! Super excited for the rest of the year--you are ambitious!

Jess said...

Nice job meeting all of your Jan goals, and good luck with the Feb ones!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Congrats on the goal achieving.

Didn't read the book, but your analysis sounds like the way I would think about it. Saves me some time.

Ann said...

Great goals! Congrats on Jan.

Delane said...

You go girl.

I loved the book series. First book is the best, second is long but better written, third is long but puts everything I to perspective.

M said...

I love your blog and I'm giving you an award! Go to my blog, www.imademybed.blogspot.com! Megs<3

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Great job!! Keep up the hard work.

James said...

Way to go on a successful January. Good luck on February!

The Enthusiast said...

Great job with January! I too, hope not to kill anyone before this winter is through. :-) Keep kicking arse in February.

to dream the KIMpossible dream said...

Everyone goes on and on and on about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I picked it up, started reading it, and put it down. Everyone tells me to pick it back up and stick with it and I will love it and need to read the next two books in the series. I will await your review!

I hate when a book is disappointing - especially one you paid for. =/

Good job hitting your Jan goals - no doubt you will do the same in Feb! =D

Natalie Gilbert said...

Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. Keep up the good work...Managing Diabetes