Thursday, February 10, 2011

Over It

I have officially hit the part of winter where I am completely mentally unstable.   If one more person says "Spring is coming", I am going to really have to resist the urge to throat punch them.  It is like telling someone running a marathon at mile 18 that the end is right around the corner.  Thankfully, the winter crazies are the norm around my house.  We have all resorted to our own corners and we act like rabid dogs when someone dare infringe on our space.  The weather man says it is supposed to be 40 this weekend.  He better have meant 40 degrees WITHOUT a minus in front of it.

I am sick of being cold!
I am sick of bundling up!
I am sick of snow!
I am sick of being stuck inside!

The only thing keeping me from really losing it is that in one week and one day I will be on a jet plane heading to sunny Arizona.  Wahoooo!  Hooray for the sun and snow free roads and a lot warmer weather and running.  Oh yeah....running.  I almost forgot that I am going there to do a race.  This is the race that I learned I would be running via Facebook. 
As far as the race I am supposed to do, I couldn't be less prepared.  Winter depression got the best of me and I could not make myself run.  There was nothing desirable about running on a treadmill or running on slick road in subzero weather.  So I didn't do it.  I sat home and pouted instead (worked really well for me).  The race is a 10K, 6.2 miles.  I do know I will finish however I think there will be more walking than running.  I am not fretting though....I am on vacation!

I do realize that I must stop sulking about winter sucking. I have not lost sight of my goal to run a race each month and tackle 26.2 miles in October.  So with that said, I took some time  to be a bit productive and figure out my running schedule for the rest of the year.  For almost every race I have ever done, I have been a loyal Hal Gal.  Hal Hidgon's free training programs have gotten me across many finish lines.  I wanted to try something different because I want to do more than just survive the marathon this year.  I wanted something with some speed work and hills.  I found another free training program at http://www.coolrunning.com/.  I decided to use their 20 week beginner program and gradually ease into their recommended base week for the next 14 weeks. 

I recorded all of the workouts on my calendar and highlighted potential conflicts.  One problem I had last year was my lack of planning.  I found myself missing long runs and suffering majorly because of it.  This time I have quite a bit of flexibility in my weeks.  I have planned alternate days for my long runs when the week gets tight (yes, I have a lot of stuff on the calendar already!).

Just doing that little task of planning my running put me in a slightly better mood.  Six more weeks of this crap and Spring should be here!  I hope or my house will be outfitted with padded walls.

16 comments:

FruitFly said...

I am sooo with you on this one. Granted I don't have snow here, but I am soooo tired of the cold. Bring on some warm and Spring already!!

I'm doing Hal Higdon right now for my first half marathon. I admit I have not done ANY cross-training. It is working so far I guess. But I might explore and try out something different after this one to see how they compare.

misszippy said...

I hear you. I DESPISE winter! I am headed to Florida next week, so we'll both get a break (I'd prefer Arizona though!)

Heather said...

I am so sick of winter too! And I don't get to run away to a warmer climate in a week. :( Good for you for escaping . . .

wendy said...

I am so done with winter, too! Ughhhh...if I never see another minus sign in front of the temp, I will be a happy camper, lol! And the snow, don't even get me started on the snow...

Good luck on your race in Arizona, you will do great. Who cares if you walk part of it? You will be in shorts and that is the most important part!

Take care!

Jess said...

I lived in MN for 8 years, and I remember Feb as always being THE worst month of the year. Enjoy your getaway to AZ!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Have a good time in AZ. It is cold for GA, but not like you have it.

Jamoosh said...

Oh snap - I hope you didn't jinx Arizona.

Running Librarian said...

maybe the winter has gotten to me too and that is why I have had no desire to run either! Good luck on your run :) Maybe a bit of sun and fun is exactly what you need.

Lindsey Lu said...

ugh I HATE winter!!! I feel your pain. Ive lived in super cold places and wont do it again. I live in the desert now :) winter weather really does affect the mood.

Lisa said...

i'm done with winter too...

Stephanie Anne said...

Im with you!! I can't even stand this weather!!
Thanks goodness I leave for NOLA tomorrow!

The CilleyGirl said...

We've had it easy here in Oregon compared to most of the rest of the country, but I too am sick of the cold. Winter blahs got the better of me as well -- I'm up to do an 8K race this Sunday.... eeek! I think I've run once since January 1? I'm ready for the cold to go away and the sun to come out!!

Carly said...

I agree that planning makes all the difference! And I'm right there with on the snow!

Delane said...

We are on the same wavelength. I'm so sick of winter and I just came up with my 28 week running plan!!!!

termite said...

it's even cold here in new orleans. I don't know how y'all do it. seriously. :( I'm freezing!

xo

bobbi said...

Hating this COLD WEATHER!! I'm so over it...

I'm curious to hear how your new training plan goes...I'm sticking with the one I used for Chicago for Grandmas, and then I'll probably wing the 12 weeks inbetween that and TC. But I'm not sure yet...