Sunday, March 20, 2011

I Got Lucky


Get Lucky 7K Race Report
Yesterday I ran the Team Ortho Get Lucky 7K.  The short story is I finished with a PR (only because it was an instant PR as I have never run this race before).  There really isn't too much of a long story but I will bullet my thoughts on the race:
  • It was FREEEZING at the start.  I am really glad I made the decision not to check my sweatshirt and that I went back for my hat.
  • This was a WAY bigger race than I thought it was going to be.  I found out via Facebook that several friends were running and there was not going to be a chance in hell of seeing them through the sea of people.
  • It took almost 10 minutes to cross the starting line.
  • I really wish I would have had a better running outfit that fit the theme of the race.  There were a lot of cute costumes sporting the green theme.  Next year!
  • The course was awesome.  The route went through parts of Downtown, over the Stone Arch Bridge, through St. Anthony Main, and wound back into Downtown Minneaopolis.  Again, I am always shocked at how hilly Minneapolis can be.  
  • I ran hard for the first 2K which roughly translates to 1.242742384474668 (I love Google).
  • For the remainder of the race I did a walk/run combo.  I mainly walked up the hills and ran on the flat and downhill terrain.
  • I had some major calf cramping at the 6K mark and told my friends to run on.  
  • I walked out the pain, put on my headphones and finished the remainder of the  last KM of the race running very strong.
  • Finishing time 54:36/ 12:34 per mile pace.  A PR!  Don't burst my bubble that it is an instant one.

Post race reward, a Matt's Bar Jucy Lucy!!!  The photo just does not do it justice!  A burger filled with molten cheese is a little bit of heaven!  If you are ever in Minneapolis, this is a must on your to do list!


16 comments:

Victoria Elizabeth said...

Congrats on your race!!! And your PR! ;D It sounds like it was an awesome race!

Kelly said...

I'm so gald you posted your report. I was waiting to hear about this race. I was supposed to run and had to cancel because of illness. I was SO bummed! I even had a costume and everything. I'm planning on doing it next year though - so I can get a PR too :)

Congrats on the bling! I love it!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Fun, fun, fun. Congrats on your PR. Because, a PR is a PR, not matter how you want to qualify it!

Stephanie Anne said...

Nice job on the race!!

Lisa said...

congrats on your PR!

Stacey said...

I have been following your blog and when you posted that you had signed up for the Get Lucky 7 I checked it out. It looked so fun I signed up too! Talked my step daughter into doing it with me. What a blast and what a sea of green! will be doing it again next year.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Congrats!

ajh said...

I would try that burger! Congrats on the PR. I had one last weekend in an 8K! Love these odd distances.

Marlene said...

Lucky 7 - I like it! Congrats!!

lifestudent said...

Yay! A 7K PR! you did get lucky ;)

Effie said...

Congrats on your run. I have my first 4k coming up so 7kms for me is amazing - well done.

I loved your re-cap of boot camp as well, sounds like you had a really great time :)

Delane said...

Lol. Love it!! Great job

Jess said...

Awesome job!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

i am loving this race, seriously what fun gear!! glad you kept all your warm clothes and had a fun day

Mary said...

YAY!! It was a HUGE race huh!! I love your post and your pics!! Nice work and YUM to Matt's. :)

Megan said...

I made Turkey "juicy lucy's" at home a couple weeks ago...yumm and i felt less guilty :)

Great job on the race too