Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Shakey Start

Three months of 2011 have passed and I can count on one hand how many times I have ran.   Three.  Once in January, once in February, and once in March.  Did I mention that all three times were during a race?  I was hoping that I would be a lot further along with my running this year.  A crazy winter and a bit of anxiety induced depression kicked my 2011 off at a snails pace.

Training kick off week is certainly kicking something....my ass.  First there was boot camp (still traumatized).  Then I went out for my first official training run and it was humbling to say the least.  The schedule called for 3 miles today and I shaved it down to 2 miles.  I was hoping by cutting the mileage, I would be able to have a better quality run.  It was brutal.  I cramped, I huffed and puffed, and I eventually broke down and walked.  I certainly could feel those 10 extra pounds taunting me the whole time.

It is pure hell starting running again.  I often imagine starting up running is like coming off of drug addiction.  The difference is that you but your self through hell to get to enjoy running rather than liking it right away.  Since I am serial running starter and stopper, I do know that the next two weeks are going to be HELL!  So bear with me while I complain about ever single ache and pain of getting my running legs back.  I am having a hard time believing that running can be enjoyable.

12 comments:

Running Librarian said...

Way to get back in there and run! Hang in there and it will get better :)

Megan said...

I felt your pain today too.

Stacey said...

I hear you....but I would give my right knee (ha) to be able to run pain free again! Good luck getting your running legs back!

Carly said...

Getting started is the hardest part. It only gets easier from here.

James said...

Hang in there. It may take some work but you'll be back to your groove soon.

Marlene said...

Stick with it! You've done this before so you KNOW it will get easier again. Hang in there and don't do too much too soon!!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Uggg, I remember how much it sucks getting started again after stopping for a long time. Especially after having a baby. lots of stopping and starting and short runs. Good luck Carly! You'll get there and it is always fun to mark the progress along the way!

crissy @ atlanta personal training said...

Hey Carly, be inspired with it and you can hang in there! :)

Jess said...

It'll come back; just keep at it!

Brittany said...

I've so been there, but just think once you find your groove again, you'll be so glad you started once more than you stopped!

Claire said...

Welcome back...and everything sucks when you start it..except pizza

Delane said...

I've got 10 weeks until my marathon training starts. Saturday is my first run in 4 weeks