Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Recap, Family Food Traditions

This year American Easter and Serbian Orthodox Easter fell on the same day which does not happen every year.  The Easter Bunny usually gets to visit our house twice.  We had a small celebration at my parents home and I can sum up the weekend with one word....FOOD.  Traditionally for Serbian Easter we have Lamb, Sarma (cabbage rolls), a big tossed salad, and some crusty bread.  My brother and I wanted to get a but cultured and we begged our mom to teach us how to make Sarma. 

Step one:  Make a drink.  You cannot prepare Serbian food without a cocktail.  Done!


Step two, dig out the largest bowl and pot you can find (I think my kids' toddler swimming pool is smaller)


Step three:  Prepare the meat.  This bowl contains 7lbs of meat.  Yes, in our house 7lbs of meat is completely appropriate for 8 adults.  The meat mixture is 3lbs of ground beef, 3lbs of ground pork, and 1lb of ground ham.

Step four:  Add eggs.  Season. Mix by hand.  Ewwww.  I made my brother do this part because I really do not enjoy touching raw meat.

Step Five: Not pictured add cooked rice and mush some more....also my brother's job.

Step Six:  Prepare the sour head cabbage by separating the leaves.  These leaves are what we will hold the meat.  I really can't tell if my brother is smelling the sour heads or if he is simulating a self-motorboat.  Knowing him, my guess is the later.

Step seven:  Roll the meat mixture into small footballs.  Then roll with the sour head leaves.  There is a very specific way to do this and I think my mom was getting annoyed that I didn't do it  right.  After about 2 of the rolls I lost interest and left the rest for my brother.
Step eight:  Layer rolls in big toddler sized swimming pool pot and add smoked meat.  My mom had kielbasa and ham hocks (*shudder*).  I got the "Ugh...Carly, it is Easter.  Don't talk like that!" when I told her what the ham hock looked like.



  
Step nine:  I can't remember what step nine was but I believe it was on the stove at this point.  Like I said, the alcohol ADD kicked in and I was done.  The rest was up to them.  Once they were done, they popped them in the fridge and they were set to go for Easter Sunday.  I think it may be awhile before my mom teaches us anything else in the kitchen.  ha!

Easter Morning, the children woke up around 5AM to hunt for their Easter Baskets.  They found them right away and had a sugar high by 5:20AM.  Since I was barely awake, I didn't care that they were eating jelly beans by the fist full.  A bit later, we were all dressed and ready for church.  The photo below was the only quasi-nice one I could get of them dressed up.


After church we feasted...maybe a little too much.  My pants were a bit tighter when dinner was over.  I have to say our Sarma turned out great!(I am taking my fair share of the credit because I am in the photos, ha!).  With full bellies, we headed back to Minneapolis.  Some of us came crashed

Hope everyone had a great weekend and a Happy Easter (if you celebrate).  What are some of your family food traditions?

Note:  I did do a small run while I was visiting my parents.  I may have canceled out the wine I drank.

10 comments:

Jess said...

I love how she has candy smeared on her face! Some day, a college rommate is gonna take a very similar photograph :)

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

oh my gosh that photo is priceless and she will so love that you shared it with the world :)

what a feast!

Emz said...

step 6
hilarious.

I thought there were boobs.

ajh said...

Great crashed pic of your daughter!

Delane said...

That photo is awesome...and will serve as great torture later in her life :-) lol

Aka Alice said...

I know that I ate my body weight in chocolate, muffins, baked goods, brunch foods, jelly beans, mimosas, and lord knows what else yesterday, and I had a complete food hangover today. I use "Loseit" to track my food intake. I didn't even try to track individual food portions. I just entered Easter and 8000 calories. I suspect I was low.

LOL at all the photos...gee Carly...what DOES a hamhock look like?

Carly said...

Ah, the joys of a food induced coma. Fabulous.

Marissa said...

love that last pic...she sure enjoyed it!

Al's CL Reviews said...

I love the candy all over her face.

relocation divorce said...

Good food with good company on special days would always be the best. She looks sooo cute in the photograph. Kids are always best in showing truly captured moments.

Visit my site: Relocation and Divorce