Saturday, April 30, 2011

Get in Gear 5K

This morning I ran the Get in Gear 5K with two of my friends from work.  Just like last year, it rained and rained.  I ran this race back in 2008 and it was snowing!  I think bad weather is just a requirement of this event.  One of the race announcers yelled "Suck it up!  You people are from Minnesota, you are tougher than this weather".  True.  He had a point.  But I will say it was tough getting out of bed to be excited about running in this stuff!
I was very glad that I switched from the 10K to the 5K.  Not only to cut time off of being on the course but because I am behind in running.  My only goal for this race was to give it my all.  I started the race off pretty slow because of the crowds.  It was hard to pass because there were so many people.  It was probably a good thing for me so I didn't poop out too soon.   When the crowds spread out a bit, I found my groove and ran pretty strong up and I almost made it 2 full miles.  At that point, my legs cramped up and I had this weird heartburn feeling.  I slowed down and then ended up walking for about 3 blocks.  At the 2 mile marker, I started running and I picked up the pace.  I know I was running faster than the first 2 miles.  I kept going and when I saw the finish line, my inner Flo Jo took over and I was somehow able to sprint it in.  I crossed the finish line and felt like I was going to throw up.  That is how I know I gave it my all and I have no regrets.  I felt like I did a good job.
I chose not to wear my Garmin or any other timing tool.  I just wanted to run and have  good time.  I know I am slow right now and I don't need a reminder.  When I crossed the finish line, I missed the clock so I had no clue how I did.  Thankfully the race results were posted shortly after I got home.  The results:
Chip Time:  38:13
12:18 per mile
1344 out of 1861
842 out of 1253 Females
322 out of 450 Females in age group
 
Overall, I am very happy with my results.  This race is now my fourth race of the year.  I am four for four and right on track with my race a month goal.

 Michele and Kathy looking happy even though they are soggy!

We are done!  Soaking wet and cold but happy with our results.
The Swag.  A tee shirt and a nice reusable bag.

14 comments:

Lisa said...

yay! well done.

RockStarTri said...

Good job. Your outfit, though, doesn't match your inner FloJo feeling. Maybe next time you need a crazy nail coloring to release it again?

ajh said...

Nice job! Too bad about the weather but you sucked it up and did it!

Julie said...

Congrats on the 5K Carly! I did not do this one this year. I love the t-shirt! Last years weather sucked and yesterday was one for the books too. Nice job!

Teamarcia said...

Congrats on pushing through tough conditions!

Heather said...

Super cute t-shirt. Great job getting out there in the rain!

Carolina John said...

Holy crap, 1800 people in a 5k race? wow, that's huge!

Glad to see you put a full effort in, that's a great time. Good job Carly! Be proud.

misszippy said...

Great job Carly! You ARE tougher than the weather!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Nice 5k! Wanted to let you know many moons ago you had a Jen Lancaster book in a blog pic-I read it because of you. She is now one of my favs. Please recommend more books!

Jess said...

Great job on the race! I heard there were flurries in MN this morning. Lovely!

Simply Life said...

congrats on the 5k!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Yay! And I would be happy with that time!

ashley rebekah said...

way to go!

Albert Divo said...

That is really nice of you to have those kind of runs. Time is really not that important coz you are not competing to be the best but just merely having fun and being productive is one best thing that I admire about you. Kudos on that.


Visit my site: Custody and Moving