Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Welcome to South Beach!!!!

Oh how I wish I was at this beach right now! 
(this photo is a text from my parents who are vacationing and making me very jealous of the sun)

The South Beach I am referring to is of course the South Beach Diet. 

Chubby Hubby and I have both reached epic proportions and have hit rock bottom in regard to our weight being the highest it has ever been.  I can say that the past year has been quite stressful and our bodies took a hit.  Now that life is calming down (a little) we are faced with chubbier versions of our already chubby selves.  We came to an agreement that now was the time to stop fooling around and do something about our weight because it affecting more than just the ability to button our jeans.  Our health is in jeopardy.  He has sleep apnea and is snoring excessively WITH the CPAP mask.  My extra junk in the trunk is wreaking havoc on my ability to run and making me breath heavy walking up a flight of stairs.  I purchased the South Beach Diet book several years ago, skimmed through it, and then let it collect dust.  I pulled this book out and thought this would be the perfect way for us to jump start our weight loss and clean up our diet or at the very least put a fire in our belly to start.

The jump start is working.  If my scale was correct this morning, I have lost 6lbs in two days (I know it is all water).  We are half way through day 3 of phase 1 and I am not in a whole lot of pain.  I have found it easy to follow when I am prepared and I am not hungry throughout the day.  Oh....but I miss my carbs!  The bakery case at Starbucks has my nose imprints on it because I was drooling over the breakfast pastries.  Monday, we took a long walk for lunch and I said no to these:

These are some of the best cupcakes in the whole wide world and I said NO!!!!!

My goal with South Beach Diet is to break my addiction to sugar and eat cleaner most of the time.  I don't know that I will be able to 100% embrace the South Beach lifestyle for life, but I do want to adopt a lot of the program.  I have found that it is very similar Core program that Weight Watchers had several years ago.  The Core Program is how I lost all my weight in 2006.  I thrived on it but never regained my Mojo to go back to eating cleaner after Baby Diva was born. 

I have only noticed a few negative side effects but I am sure that they will pass.  I am tired!!!!  I mean dragging ass tired!  I ran on Monday and had a few issues but yesterday all I could do was bike for 20 minutes.  If I were to self diagnose, I would think that it because my diet has changed 180 degrees literally overnight (duh).  I am a little moody (okay maybe more than "a little" considering my morning greeting to Chubby Hubby was a middle finger).  Perhaps if I read the book, they would go over these side effects.....but true to Carly form, I jumped right in. 

One non-side effect issue is breakfast meals are harder for me to deal with.  I have been having some sort of egg and I am at the point where I am gagging trying to get them down the hatch.  This could be trouble because we are only on day three.  The only other negative is there is NO ALCOHOL in phase 1!  You may as well cut off my air supply.  Kidding!!!  Oh well, I was going to sober up cut back on alcohol during marathon training anyway.  I am looking at it as a pre-training detox.  I am chipper now, but we will see how I am in a few days.

Who has tried the South Beach Diet?  Care to share an experience? 

Wanna win a pair of Saucony shoes?  Enter my Super-fabulous Saucony giveaway HERE.

Also,  I am on my hands and knees begging for votes on Circle of Moms Top 25 Health and Fitness Blogs. (competitive much?)  Please vote!  HERE

15 comments:

Marlene said...

Good for you taking steps to get your health back! I have done SBD in the past. That first week is brutal but I found week 2 of phase 1 got a little easier. And OHH the weight loss! You just have to be sooo careful when re-introducing carbs. Good luck!!

Warrior Mom said...

I almost never comment on blogs but yours I enjoy so much. So thank you! I have done SBD in the past and it has been to date the only diet I was able to stick with and lose weight on. The first 3 to 4 days are the worst!!! but after that it gets better. Once the sugar works its way out you are on easy street!! Good Luck!!

Abby said...

I just started Phase 1 over as a push to get a few pounds off before our vacation, so I understand exactly what you're going through! This website has been our savior!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-recipes-114/

Here's a few of the recipes that I love:

Belgian Waffles


Ingredients:

2 large eggs
1/4 C Lowfat Ricotta Cheese (store brand)
1 T Granular Splenda, more or less to taste
1/2 t. Baking Powder
1/4 t. Cinnamon, more or less to taste
(optional)
Dash Nutmeg, more or less to taste (optional)

Directions:

Preheat waffle iron. If no waffle iron is available, recipe can also be used for fluffy
pancakes, but that is not as much fun! Beat eggs with electric mixer on high for 1
minute to make them light and fluffy. Add all other ingredients. Beat until smooth.
Spray waffle maker with PAM or other cooking spray. Pour batter, should fill bottom tray. Close and cook as usual for waffles. Enjoy with sugar free syrup!

{I found the waffles at the end of the 2 weeks of phase 1. Oh my, I was so ready to gag if I had to eat another egg for breakfast!}

Sesame Seed Buns for Sliders:

Preheat oven to 350*.

5 eggs
1/2 c. black beans, rinsed (could sub ricotta)
1/4 c. flaxseed
1/4 c. almond meal
3 packets Splenda
1 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
1 t. sesame seeds (optional)

Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth. Spray a non-stick muffin tin heavily with cooking spray. Pour mixture into muffin cups (should make 12). Bake 15 minutes or until puffy and done. If you want sesame seed buns, sprinkle them on after about 10 minutes of baking. Cool and slice.

{I bake up a big batch of these on the weekends to enjoy all week. We use them to make egg sandwiches in the mornings and turkey burgers in the evenings. If you use ricotta cheese instead of black beans, they taste more like a cornbread. It just feels good to act like you're eating something that's bread!}

Hope this helps!

MCM Mama said...

I haven't done SBD in a while, but whenever I need to get into a smaller dress LOL, I find it really works.

I eat an egg casserole nearly every morning even when I'm not on SB. It's a mix of a ton of veggies, cottage cheese, whatever spice you want, some meat and cheese and just enough egg to hold it all together. I make it with whatever I have on hand, so it always tastes differently. Hit me up over on facebook if you want the recipe.

Good luck! The exercise will get easier once you hit phase 2.

WannabeRunner said...

Good job on getting started! I've never done the SBD, but i've heard good things. Best of luck. :)

Diana said...

I've done Atkins (pretty much same thing) in the past. I'm not a carb person, so to eat this way works good for me. It's the candy.....

Keep up, you'll find what works!
PS/try throwing some SPAM in with those eggs-Yummmmmmmmmy!

Tammy said...

I'm with you on the weight, I'm way more than I was when I gave birth. Ick!

I'm going to a nutritionist tomorrow, I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to get a handle on it by myself for too long.

Vee and the Kid said...

I'm just starting back on my own plan. I've tried the south beach diet but it's really hard to followed "canned" diets because I'm gluten-free AND I hate most cooked veggies. I'm easing back into the plan because I too just couldn't stay on this increasing path.

Wish I could help you with the egg problem. But ... since we have chickens (up to about 60 now), I have more than enough eggs. We do the bacon and eggs about 3x a week. Sometimes more. I have a one-minute flax and egg gf "muffin" recipe somewhere on my blog. I'll try to find it and repost it.

Welcome back to us both. Vee at http://veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

The CilleyGirl said...

I'm doing paleo (more or less) which is similar. Breakfast is always one of the hardest meals to get a handle on because of the American mindset of toast/cereal/bagels/muffins/oatmeal. My go-to breakfast is peel and eat shrimp. It seems a little odd at first but now I feel like I'm having a fancy brunch every day. You can also do chicken strips, flank steak (marinated in teriyaki, yum!), pork -- again, takes some getting used to but when I love having breakfast for dinner, why not have dinner for breakfast?

Beth Brakewood said...

I loved trying the SBD (but I can't live like that) - the part that makes it sound bearable to me is the fact that it's "only" for a little bit longer. You don't give up the booze forever, just for now. You can fit it back in later. You can do anything for a little while!

And horray for doing things with the hubs! Mine is the only reason the last part of my weight loss worked for me and I'm fairly certain it was my success early on that got him motivate to try something himself.

Lori said...

I have never done SB, but I wonder if the 1-minute muffin might be something to consider if it fits?

1 egg
1/4 cup ground flax meal
1/4 tsp baking powder
cinnamon
1 tablespoon applesauce (or oil)
sweetener of choice.

Mix and micro for 1 minute. These are very filling and satisfy the carb cravings.

Aka Alice said...

I swear, you are my twin on the other coast...I was just thinking over the weekend about doing the SBD again. I lost about 30 lbs on SBD a few years ago (I've gained about 10 back since then...) I agree. the first week is just difficult. I lived for the ricotta cheese deserts, and I hear ya on the egg thing (and I actually, really like eggs). Oh yeah...and no wine? Can you say WHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIINE?

Good luck sister. I'll be back at it after June 5.

PS...I vote for you every time you beg!

to dream the KIMpossible dream said...

I'm a South Beacher. I've lost over 100 lbs on it...still have more to lose, but...well...I've had my issues as of late.

I have recipes for Phase 1 and 2 on my blog under the cleverly titled "recipes" section.

This is a good, healthy diet. The dragging ass will pass and sugar cravings will be held at bay. =)

T-dog said...

My hubby was put on the SBD last year by his doctor so I decided to do it with him. You know, make it easier if we're all doing it...

The first three days were absolutely the worst - I had caffeine-withdrawal induced migraines. So I added back in a cup of coffee and that made everything better.

I get you on the eggs thing. I don't like eggs on even a non-diet. However, I choked them down faithfully.

I reached goal weight (lost 40lbs) within four months (without exercise) and have maintained it for over a year now. I started running in August of last year and have since completed 6 - 5ks, a Warrior Dash and a Half-Marathon! I've added weight training in as well and have managed to not gain any weight, but I've dropped two more sizes! (Started out at a 16 and am now an 8 - and yet I still clock in at 148lbs!)

Long story short - South Beach is hard at first, but once you get past phase one, it's easy. Temptations will always be there and you can't kick yourself too hard if you give in every once and a while!

Elle said...

I have been a sucessful Weight Watcher under goal for many many years. Have read SBD and several of the cookbooks. I find that some of the recipes are good.

In general, I think low carb diets are not for athletes. If I were trying to lose weight now I would be trying the Carb Lovers Diet on health.com

Good Luck.