Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Will Run for Helmets

I think I found just the thing to pull me out of my funk.  I signed up for the Warrior Dash.  It has the Holy Grail of swag; a t-shirt, a medal, and a fuzzy black helmet!  A Helmet! 
Since my goal is to complete a race a month, I though this race would be a perfect way to shake things up.  I guess nothing shakes things up like a 3 mile obstacle course that contains walls, mud, and FLAMES.  Is anyone taking injury bets yet?  If not, this would be a good thing to bet on since I am rather clumsy.  Our friends just completed the Arizona race and said it was an absolute blast.  With that kind of endorsement, my July race was planned.  The best part....CHUBBY HUBBY signed up too!  First snow in May and now he is doing a race with me.  Hell really is freezing over!

This lack of Spring weather and the gray skies have set my mood dial to perma-bitch.  Although my running is coming along, it is not where I need it or want it to be.  I have a half marathon coming up!!!  Ack! I even considered not doing the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon in June.  After all, I am behind on training.

When I mentioned that I was thinking about dropping out to my friends, they stepped in with their own encouraging opinions such as: 
  • There is plenty of time to train (lie)
  • That I am too stubborn to back out (true)
  • That I am way too cheap to lose out on this entry fee (BINGO!)
I am going to suck it up and do what I can.  Plus, if I drop out of this race, it will just be a downward spiral for Twin Cities Marathon.  I know I will not be breaking records but I won't be sitting on my couch eating entire chocolate bunnies out of my kids' Easter baskets (not that I would ever do such a  thing).  Running slow is a better option than not doing it at all.  With the help of Jillian Michaels and Hal Higdon, I should be able to accomplish this mission. 


15 comments:

RockStarTri said...

These types of races seem like a blast! I'm jealous that you've signed up and even more jealous of the helmet.

Heather said...

I would love to do one of those warrier races someday. Glad you're hanging in their for Grandma's - maybe I will see you there!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Do you not also get free beer at the end? The GA one you get free beer.

misszippy said...

I think those look like so much fun. You MUST post pics of yourself in the helmet!

MCM Mama said...

Sounds like a ton of fun. Can't wait to see pictures of you at the end. ;o)

WannabeRunner said...

Yay for the Warrior Dash! I just did the AZ one on Sunday - it was SO much fun. I posted a recap on my blog. :)

termite said...

you are gonna have soooo much fun!!!

FruitFly said...

YES!!!! I can't wait to hear all about it. I am registered for that as well, but I have to wait until September for it. I am so excited!

Elena (Running in Heels After Child) said...

I am dying to do the warrior dash, it comes to Nor Cal in Oct.

I hope the race goes good and that you enjoy it.

best,

elena

Ann said...

I am running the Warrior Dash next weekend in North Georgia. I am doing it for the helmet and free beer.

Jennifer said...

My husband and I did the Warrior Dash in AZ and had a great time. It was the first race I signed up for to just have fun and not worry about times! Though my glutes and quads hurt for days after!

Mary said...

I know what you mean! I had to push my May marathon back to a half, I am no where near where I need to be either! Good luck, the warrior dash sounds amazing!

Brooke said...

Warrior Dash was the most fun I have had at a race! I hope to do another one in the future!!

Be sure to DIVE into the mud pool at the end and not get in all timidly.

Also - when leaping over the fire - LOOK UP - this is your photo op!

Good luck!

Amanda @ Diary of a Mad Fat Woman said...

new reader here! I want to do a warrior dash soooo bad, but the closest one is taking place while I'm on vacation. Please post lots of pictures and let us know how it goes! Good luck! :)

Wendy said...

I am not yet a runner, heck, I'm barely a walker, but I totally want one of those hats! Glad you stayed in the game!