Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Six Most Dreaded Words....


I didn't know Carly was expecting!!!!!!

Sonofabitch it happened again!!!! 

I was talking to my mother on the phone and she was hmmmming and haaaaing about telling me something.

"I VOWED I would never tell you....." she said.  At that point, I  told her to be out with it already.  She said that at our family reunion back in January, one of our cousins excitedly said "I didn't know Carly was expecting" to my mother.  My mother responded... "She's not".  Ooops. Then came the back peddling from our cousin.

I know she was not being rude by her statement.  Truth is, I did (do) look pregnant.....especially with what I chose the wear that day (perhaps a flowy white button down is not the best muffin top disguise).  I certainly am not offended either.  I had an honest good laugh (probably because I am 10lbs lighter today and I do not have any ice cream in the house).  All laughing aside, my motivation is now solid.  I never want to look pregnant again.  I just wish that my mother would have told me this in JANUARY, maybe I would be closer to goal.

Those are not the only six words I dread.  The other six words that have been making my stomach turn are:

I saw you out running today....

Gahhhh! What?  All three seconds of me running?  So you saw me huffing and puffing about to pass out?  You busted me walking?  Uhhhhh.....I was only laying on the grass to stretch for a second.  Look away, I am hideous!

 I ran into one of my friends who is an avid runner while shopping last week.  He said those exact words to me and I wanted to hide because my "running" and his "running" are two completely different things.  He is running Grandma's Marathon on June 18th.  I told him I signed up for the half marathon which is on the same day.  He knows that I am not fit for a 5K at this point so I thought he would have a laugh and make some smart ass comment.
I could not have been more wrong.  He told me I HAVE to do it and backing out would make me a sissy (not the real word).  He told me to just have fun and walk the damn thing if I have to.  He reminded me that I KNOW what to expect and can push through it.   Then he pulled out the big guns and said that it would be a waste of money (anything that refers to losing money gets me motivated)  .  I guess if he never saw me running, we may not have talked about the race, and I may have backed out completely.  So....run, walk, crawl.....I am doing this half marathon just for the fun of it

I guess the PSA of my rambling today is that words you dread hearing can be a great motivator.

20 comments:

bobbi said...

AND you HAVE to do it so I can meet you!! No, I'm not selfish or anything ;)

(I am totally motivated by money too. If I pay for it, I'm doing it, end of story, hehe)

Al's CL Reviews said...

Money is a great motivator (except for Weight Watchers).
:)

Glad you are making the pregnant statement a positive one. I would've shot the cousin.

;)

MotherRunner said...

Oh, that sucks. I got the comment twice after having my twins... and my friend's husband made a comment to her two days after I delivered that I still looked pregnant. Damn people.

Can't wait to hear how the half goes - you're going to do great!

Victoria Elizabeth said...

You handled that situation with a calmness that I know I am never gonna have!!!

You are going to do amazing at your Half!! I cannot wait to hear about it!

Gaspegirl said...

HEHEHE... I am new to your blog but I am loving it already! As a matter of fact I am also new to running (or jogging, or maybe even shuffling... not sure I know what they call what I do ;) and I actually like it when people confess to having seen me running... I guess I feel like, "At least I am doing SOMETHING while you are driving around watching me :P"

Make it a great day!

Jennica said...

I HATE the idea of people seeing me run. I am also completely sure that they are judging me. But I think most people just think, "Hey, that person is running and I am not." or "Wow, you got out there, good for you." or "Hmm, a runner." Whether they think positive thoughts or not, I tell myself they do - and then I feel better. Go dominate that half!

Elle said...

I am always a bit embarrassed when someone says they saw me out running... but they have usually driven past me in their car.

Then I pat myself on the back, cause I was out RUNNING!

Great post.

One time a woman I worked with (and didn't like) told me she had seen me out running and that I looked like I was almost dead. !! When I found out where she had seen me, I was able to honestly tell her that I was almost at the end of a 10 miler that day. She never mentioned it ever again.

Tangie said...

Oh my gosh!! The same freaking thing just happened to me last week!!! At work, in front of all my coworkers, an old guy came in to our store and made some comment referencing my "pregnancy". I wasn't brave enough to correct him, but I was mortified!

And it's not the first time it's happened! But I have since let it roll off... I may LOOK pregnant, but I can still run 13 miles!!! So I'm trying to cut myself slack!!

Thank you for your blog and being such an encouragement.

Neon Blonde Runner said...

OOh my goodness, what a story. You have such a positive spirit, love it!!! And love that you've lost the weight, awesome job!

Raquelita said...

Fantastic job on the weight loss! Dreaded words and criticism can lead to positive changes; sometimes they can also lead to grudges. :)

Megsie said...

Hi. I am not pregnant either. Good for you Carly!!

♫ Drazil ♪ said...

I have totally felt that "his running is so different than my running" feeling...but you're running - and that's what matters!

Claire said...

At least she didn't say it to you?

In all honesty...I'm with Oprah on this one..unless you SEE that baby dropping out of someone you NEVER ask if anyone is pregnant.

That being said..pre-surgery...I had one of my sons teacher say it to me....ugg

Delane said...

Lol @ pregnant, Ive put my foot in my mouth ONCE saying the same thing.

Eh, I've run several halfs untrained. They are doable in about 3 hrs if you run walk.

WannabeRunner said...

Ah man. I got that comment a few years ago. I had a good cry, that's for sure!

Hey, at least they saw you running instead of not running...yeah?? :)

Norman Carl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Norman Carl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marissa said...

well, people need to think more before they speak and just be happy it wasn't to your face!


money is great motivation :)

Norman Carl said...

Interesting post...I'm glad that i came across here.
I wondering if? are you willing to buy a new high quality AVR here are tips for that problem.Come and visit? I’m from: Denon avr 1611 .

ashley rebekah said...

oh, i hear you! everytime i even think about bailing on a scheduled run, i just remember how much i don't want to, ever-again-in-my-life, hear the question "oh, when are you due?"...