Saturday, June 11, 2011

Some Things Are Not Meant To Be

I will not be running in the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon next Saturday.

I went to the doctor because I of a possible sinus infection (I am uber prone to them and get them often).  As I suspected, I did.  As the doc was giving my my prescription, I thought I would throw one more thing at her.  I told her about my issues with running and how I can hardly run 10 steps without stopping to walk.  I told her I thought my iron might be low based on extensive interweb medical research my history (I have a tendency to be a little anemic).  She ordered a blood test.

After my test, she came back in the room and asked me "what do you think your level is at?".  I responded "based on how I feel, maybe a 9 or a 10."  She gave me a serious look and said, "Nope....you are a 6 and we typically do blood transfusions when people are around an 8." 

Shit.

My response to that was "Huh, at least I know why I have to sit down when I get to the top of the steps now".  I weaseled my out of the transfusion by promising I would eat red meat and spinach every day and also take the colon blocking iron supplements told me to get.  If she doesn't see an upward trend by Wednesday, I will be transfused.  *Shudder*  Just as she finished her sentence about how serious this issue was, I spouted off the question...."so, I will be able to run Grandma's Half next Saturday, right?"  She gave me the areyoufuckingkiddingyoustupidbitch look and said "absolutely not, and don't even think about it".  I had to ask even though I walked out of her office there thinking that I will still cross that finish line (one symptom of anemia is not thinking clearly).

Later that evening, I came to my senses (Translation:  I spoke to my girlfriend and she put things into perspective).  My ultimate goal is Twin Cities Marathon.  Doing this half marathon, half-assed mind you, could jeopardize my marathon training even more.  I am already experiencing a training set back, if I attempted the race, who knows how long I will be out.  So, I have to exercise some common sense here and keep my eye on what is really important. So there will be no race and I am going to focus on  getting healthy.

I can't help but kind of laugh about the craptastic luck that I have with this race.  The universe must not want me to ever participate in this event.  The one year I get chosen for the lottery, is the one year I am not able to run it.  Perhaps this was divine intervention.  I think this is going to be the last year I try to run this race.

I may be down, but I am certainly not out.  I will be volunteering at the finish line handing out t-shirts.  If you are running, come look for me!!!

17 comments:

M. Louise Cunningham said...

Accept challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory. This will make your ultimate goal that much more sweet. Hang tough.. youll get through this!

Donna said...

I trained for a half ironman all last Summer in Texas heat not knowing I was Anemic; I even did the race! Really, I thought I just sucked that much to feel as badly as I did! My iron stores got down to 4 while training for my 2nd half ironman. I had an IV infusion this past March and things improved. I was a little achy about 6 weeks out, when the bone marrow starts doing its job transporting the iron, but other than that I was good. I never stopped training, except for a day or two after the infusion because I would get really flushed -- just felt it better to be safe considering how odd it was. Good luck to you!

Lori said...

Oh no! Anemia is serious, so I am glad you aren't doing the race.

Chow down on broccoli and raisins. Did you know raisins are a great source of iron?

termite said...

i'm sorry sugar. :( i know what it's like to go threw something like this. but ya know, things work out for a reason even if we don't understand it at the time. xo

you have a wonderful outlook. wonderful.

xo

termite said...

i forgot to tell you that i've set my blog to private and would love to add you to my reading list but i need your email to do so. please contact me when you have a chance. xo

thehungrytermite@gmail.com

Michelle said...

Oh man that sucks! I hope your levels get back up asap

Lucy said...

Sending good thoughts your way. Take care of yourself.

Running Librarian said...

you made the right decision! Get healthy and then attack that marathon!

Megsie said...

Oh, Carly...I am so sorry. That totally SUCKS. I really hope you can get your levels up by Wednesday...good vibes sent your way!

Elle said...

Take care of yourself. Wishing you all the best.

ajh said...

Take care of yourself.Nothing is as important as your health.

Missy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that!! And I am really glad you aren't doing the race. It's not worth the risk. There are always more races but there's only one you.

Lisa said...

best wishes getting the anemia under control

Anonymous said...

Hope you can get your iron stores back up and be up and running soon. I struggle with low iron too, and I find the green smoothies or daily spinach salad (with OJ) help. Glad you are taking the doctors advice!

Marci said...

That last comment was me, I guess I posted anon.

lindsay said...

oh my gosh! i hope you can avoid the transfusion... but ultimately hope your levels get back up to normal and stay there. maybe the doc will whip up a transfusion medal for you since you have to miss the race? :)

feel better!!

WannabeRunner said...

Ugh, that really sucks! I remember you writing about this race last year & how you wanted to run it. Maybe next year is the year?? :)