Monday, June 13, 2011

Vacation, Intrusion, Transfusion

The kiddos are officially on Summer vacation!  Friday was their last day and now I am the mama of a 3rd and 1st grader.  I have to insert a proud mama comment about their awesome report cards.  They did extremely well and they clearly take after me. ha! Now it is time to enjoy the short while that we have nice weather. 

I am beyond jealous of Chubby Hubby not being employed at the moment.  They get to do whatever they want this summer!  This working full time deal blows.  Maybe I could be the hero of our department by suggesting how shutting down for the Summer would save a lot of money in a tough budget year.  Sigh.... I can dream.  I will say this, about a week into being at home with everyone,  I would be pulling out my hair and running for the liquor cabinet. 

Yesterday we had a standoff in our 'hood.  I was not aware of any hullabaloo until Chubby Hubby started screaming at the kids to get downstairs.  He then announced that there were cops across the street that were sporting some shot guns, rifles, and the K9 unit.  I did what every good mother would do, flipped on the TV for the kids then I grabbed my cell phone, computer, and camera to document what I was seeing.

It ended up being a 15 year old kid who had the brains of a gnat to break in to this house in the middle of the day in our nosy neighborhood.  My neighbor saw him and immediately called the police.  He was hiding out in the attic and he told police that he broke in to this house because he had to use the bathroom.  Riiiiight.  It may be wrong of me to celebrate this, but he left in an ambulance.  He was not shot, but the police dog got him....and got him good! The poor family that lives in this house are brand new to the neighborhood and they are completely traumatized!  I hope they don't move!

This was my view and if you look close you can see the police pulling a Jack Bauer.

Now for the big news.....tomorrow I am getting a blood transfusion. I thought long and hard about it over the weekend and decided that I want to feel better faster.  Despite the risks and the heebie jeebie factor, I think it is the right thing to do.  I know from past experience that if I do nothing but supplementation and dietary changes, it could take months to get back into a normal range.  I have been reading about how severe anemia can permanently screw with a person and if I want a shot at doing TC Marathon in October I need to do this now. 
Tomorrow I will be at the hospital all day.   I will be receiving 2-3 units.  As shitty as it is to be there all day, I am pretty excited because I can bring my computer and finally catch up with some of my blog stalking!  It is almost like a vacation!  Has anyone had this done?  Words of wisdom?

Hindsight is always 20/20.  Looking back at this past year, the struggle is now making sense.  I can't believe that I didn't realize my iron was low sooner. 

12 comments:

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Good choice! I went to the ER and ended up in the hospital for two days, anemic, and got a blood transfusion in the middle of them trying to figure it all out.

You are going to feel so much better! I'm so glad they figured out what was wrong before it got any worse.

bobbi said...

I have zero experience with this, but I hope that it makes you feel better FAST! I'll be thinking about you - good luck!

Lisa said...

good luck! i was supposed to have a blood transfusion after my son was born. i was too freaked out and refused to get it. I ended up feeling ill and weak for a good two months or so. I think I made hte wrong choice back then. Sounds like you are smarter than me. :-)

ajh said...

Feel better.

Kelley said...

Pretty exciting neighborhood you live in. I hope my neighbors would be that responsive.

Carrie said...

Good luck with the transfusion. I hope you feel better quickly.

MCM Mama said...

Good luck tomorrow!!! Hope it makes you feel better right away!

Anonymous said...

Good decision, good luck, not sure its an option in UK, shame.

Megsie said...

I am thinking of you, you are probably getting all juiced up as I type this. Hope everything goes well and you get better FAST.

How exciting/scary to have a showdown right across the street! I am glad they caught the guy...geez.

Be sure to let all of us know how you are feeling later....

FrogiNater said...

No experience as an adult, but my mom said I'd had them as an infant a few times. I hope you feel better super quick!!

The stand off was exciting I bet!! :)

Aging Novice Runner said...

I just discovered your blog and I love it! Good luck with the transfusion - you definitely the right choice. You're going to feel like a million bucks when you get that level back up. I'm surprised you were as mobile as you were at a 6!!

Love the "look" that your doc gave you when you asked if you could still run the Half. I would have asked the same thing! Runners are crazy.

Feel better soon!

fancy nancy said...

Wow that boy really had to pee!!

Good luck on the transfusion even though I am a few days late! I haven't had experience with it but they have done it for my father a few times and it really helped a lot!