Saturday, July 30, 2011

I Have Sold My Soul to the Devil

Twin Cities Marathon is in a little over 9 weeks and I am still struggling with my running.  I came to the realization that if I am going to do this race, I need professional help (both mental and physical). With the recommendation of a friend, I reached out to our Boot Camp Bitch Instructor and I explained my situation.  I told her that come hell or high water, I was going to cross the finish line on October 2nd and I asked her if she thought she could help me.  She took me to do a fitness assessment and wrote down all sorts of things on a piece of paper.  She confirmed what I already knew, I was in rough shape.....pathetic really and no where near the condition of a marathon runner.  I was kind of nervous that she would laugh in my face and reject my insane goal.  She then stated "I would rock that marathon".  I signed on the dotted line and hired her for 8 weeks.
I have had two sessions with her and she makes Jillian Michaels look like a push-over.  I ran stairs with a medicine ball overhead, did wall sits, squats with weights, and inverted pull-ups.  I pushed and pulled a heavy boxing bag through a studio and I did some heavy tire flipping.  So far she she is keeping it interesting.  I felt pretty bad ass that I was able to complete her workouts, especially the upper body one.

Well.....It has been two days since my last session and the DOMS have set in.  OH MY GOD, I cannot straighten my arms.  AT. ALL.  I am walking around like the Hulk.  I know I am not being a wuss because my arms are actually SWOLLEN (although all of my co-workers would disagree because of my constant whining). Please excuse the elephantiasis-like arm.
With that said, she keeps my goal in mind and only pushes me as far as she knows I can go and even helps me out at times.  Right now I need to be pushed like she is pushing me.  I have been down for so long that I have forgotten what it it is like to really work hard.  It is a nice to have a reminder that I can still do this.   Even with the sore, swollen muscles...I think she will get me to my goal.

24 comments:

Lisa said...

Best wishes with that. And don't give into the DOMS, your arms are just being wussy. ;-)

Megsie said...

I am scared just reading your post. Your poor arm(s)! I just want you to know that a friend of Jeff's ran the Warrior Race too. He was telling me about it--and thinking I would have no idea about it, and I said, "Oh, you mean the Warrior Race?" He was impressed that I know SOME things that live outside of the rock I live under...thanks to you.

Megan said...

thats badass. Your arm is crazy swollen. Give it a couple days and make the boys do all the chores this weekend :)

Robin said...

Ouch! I'm sure it'll get easier...hang in there...

bobbi said...

Good luck! So glad you found someone who can help you kick some TCM ass!

Running Librarian said...

Keep working hard and you will rock that marathon! Think how much better those arms will look (once the swelling goes down). And if anyone needs a car pulled off of them in an emergency I am sure you can do it!

Dana said...

I've subscribed for a while and thought I'd quit lurking and say hey!

That arm looks painful! I am seriously impressed.

termite said...

i want to run it!! where can i go to sign up!

xo

ajh said...

Can't wait to see you rock it. She sounds tough!

lifestudent said...

No matter what, she will give you the confidence you need. You WILL rock it. No doubt.

Elle said...

nice that you have a great coach. way to go!

RockStarTri said...

Congrats. That devil, I'm sure. owns many souls. The pay back is success so you are on the road to rock!

WannabeRunner said...

Whew, you go girl! I know you're cursing her name now, but i bet you will thank her after the marathon. :)

Delane said...

I'm considering the same, my training is not going well

Ingi said...

Man - that looks heavy duty! A marathon? You go girl - what an inspiration!!!

thepawsitivethinker said...

I believe in you! If my 'round' tookus can do a marathon, so can you! I'm signed up for my 6th (2nd this year) in Denver this Oct. I'm doing a Bootcamp as well. It helps keep me moving and not so bored. I've noticed my legs handle hills a lot better. I still need to lose some pounds so my speed will improve, You (and I) will be toeing the starting line - AND crossing the finish line! You can do it chicky!

GISrunner said...

Yikes, your arm is incredibly swollen - like you didn't know that! Great job on signing up with a trainer. Look forward to the updates, which I know will be hilarious!

ashley rebekah said...

i think i would like to meet this B.C.B./I. (Boot-Camp-B*tch/Instructor)...

good luck!

Tortoise said...

Wow! I am inspired! Good luck!

poundingthepavements said...

AWWW....sounds tough..but it will be worth it in the end! :)

ruthi said...

good for you. good luck. i believe you can reach your goal too. i am so jealous. i dream of running the marathon one day too. i just started running this year and so far had ran 3 5k races only and training for my 4th on the 20th. one day i will surely done a marathon but right now, i am a chicken. hahah

Anonymous said...

How is that kind of training going to help you run 26.2 miles when its about 6 weeks away?

leading said...

Hello do you know? Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness. loss weight quick and one more thing Fitness - if it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body. loss weight quick it depends upon you what you think about your health. Now loss weight quick I have to exercise in the morning before my brain figures out what I'm doing. loss weight quick Fitness is most important thing for healthy life. loss weight quick Thanks for your kind information on this page i like this. loss weight quick. Thanks for such a nice information. It is really awesome.
Bye Bye take care and good night.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://magkras.ru/vakuumnyie-massajnyie-banki-s-vakuumatorom-nabor-6-banok/]Накидка массажер Эргопауер 6H[/url]
[url=http://magkras.ru/nabor-detskogo-termobelya-barn-kit/]Кольцо Пилатез для Ваших тренировок Magic Ring[/url]
[url=http://magkras.ru/immunostimulyator-immuno-ekstra/]Иммуностимулятор Иммуно Экстра[/url]
[url=http://magkras.ru/tapochki-domashnie-ovechi-shotlandskie/]Сидушка круглая[/url]
[url=http://magkras.ru/ustroystvo-dlya-izmelcheniya-pertsa-i-priprav/]Устройство для измельчения перца и приправ[/url]